FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Blu-ray Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lucas cheadle
FCP Blu-ray Workflow
on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:46:58 pm

I'm cutting an event shot on Canon XH-A1.
Final delivery will be blu-ray. My Final Cut project is native HDV all the way (didn't have drive space for 11 tapes captured using Prores... calculated that route would require at least 750gig).

Now I'm exporting finished FCP timelines to start the blu-ray authoring process. Here are my questions:

The only "blu-ray" option in Compressor is Mpeg-2. How does that stack up to H.264? If I use an H.264 setting in Compressor will that work through Encore and Toast to the BD?

Is there any way to up-res my HDV after I'm done cutting? If not and once having acquired adequate drive space could I re-capture my HDV tapes using ProRes and reconnect the new media?

I'm about ready to pass out looking for Blu-Ray info on ten different forums. When will Creative Cow create a Blu-Ray Forum?

Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: FCP Blu-ray Workflow
on Aug 12, 2008 at 9:14:08 pm

[lucas cheadle] "The only "blu-ray" option in Compressor is Mpeg-2. How does that stack up to H.264? If I use an H.264 setting in Compressor will that work through Encore and Toast to the BD? "

H.264 does not work in Encore, only MPEG-2. We've been using MPEG-2 files for about a year now with great success. Encore, however is terrible in BluRay. You're very limited in the functionality you'll be able to achieve with your discs.

[lucas cheadle] "I'm about ready to pass out looking for Blu-Ray info on ten different forums. When will Creative Cow create a Blu-Ray Forum? "

When someone makes an affordable BluRay authoring tool that actually works I suppose. Adobe is full of great marketing for Encore, but it is not ready for Saturday Morning cartoons, let alone Prime Time. I've been trying to get them to fix very basic flaws in the program for over a year now. You can read my blog or my posts in the Encore forum if you'd like.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Aug 12, 2008 at 11:09:10 pm

Lucas another authoring option is DVDITPRO HD, but you need
a pc for that.

I made a blu-ray of a feature length film recently with
chapter points but no menu and it turned out very well.

Return to posts index

mark pigott
on Aug 20, 2008 at 3:09:59 pm

Do you think that DVDITPRO HD can read the XDCAM style movies directly
(even though it is a PC) or does a PC never have the full complement of CODECS
in QT that Mac has?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]