FORUMS: list search recent posts

Abnormal Compression hits from Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Abnormal Compression hits from Compressor
on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:23:48 pm

Trying to see if anyone else has seen this issue.

We're compressing a 1080i ProRes file for BluRay using our custom Compressor template. Same template we've been using for about a year now.

The exact same 1080i / 29.97 ProRes file was compressed on both using the exact same Compressor preset.

Our Octo Core Mac Pro still has QT 7.4.5 on it. It renders the file perfectly clean.

Our Quad Mac Pro has QT 7.5 on it. It has abnormal blockiness during the initial fade up from black, almost consistently on the same set of 5 frames.

Anyone else seeing any sort of abnormal compression hits if you're running Compressor with QT 7.5?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Abnormal Compression hits from Compressor
on Aug 12, 2008 at 8:30:32 pm

Does your Quad have a virtual cluster setup on it or do you just Submit using "this computer"?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Aug 13, 2008 at 12:40:29 am

Walter,

Have you done the most recent FCS2 Update (6.0.4, I believe)? We had a machine with a compressor issue that was resolved with that latest update. I'm sure all the machines did, but that was the only machine using compressor at the time.

I'll find out tomorrow exactly what the issue was and post more info if his problem was different than what you are experiencing.

Best,

Jason

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 13, 2008 at 12:55:03 pm

[Jason Boucher] "Have you done the most recent FCS2 Update (6.0.4, I believe)? We had a machine with a compressor issue that was resolved with that latest update. I'm sure all the machines did, but that was the only machine using compressor at the time. "

Nope, we're still on 6.0.3 on both machine. Only the Octo still has a step back in Quicktime than the Quad.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Aug 21, 2008 at 3:32:54 am

Walter,

Any luck on the compressor issue. We had called Apple about it in the beginning and got the stock "not sure, we'll check it out" response at first. Then a second call got us to a guy who tested it on all their systems (they apparently have many macs with different versions of FCStudio and QT. They could not duplicate the problem on any but, 6.0.3 and QT 7.3X (I don't recall at the moment what QT it was).

Anyhoo, when 6.0.4 came out, the issue was resolved. Tech support told us that they'd never know when engineering would get around to fixing it, and we didn't know 6.0.4 would fix it until we tried it.

That's our story.... I hope that may help you if you haven't fixed it yet.

Jason

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 13, 2008 at 12:54:13 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Does your Quad have a virtual cluster setup on it or do you just Submit using "this computer"? "

No, the Quad just uses "This Computer." and it has the problems.

The Octo has a virtual cluster and I use that all the time since it's faster and it's the clean file.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]