FORUMS: list search recent posts

subtitles grammar

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Grauert
subtitles grammar
on Aug 5, 2008 at 1:43:58 pm

Hey guys,

I went on a shoot yesterday at a summer sports camp. I interviewed 2 girls who were from Barcelona, Spain. I'm planning on using subtitles, which I already know how to do, but do I fix their grammar in the subtitle or leave it the way they say things.

For example, one girl said, "I like the coaches cause they are near to us," but I know she wanted to say she likes them cause they're close to her age.

Thanks for any advice.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: subtitles grammar
on Aug 5, 2008 at 1:54:01 pm

Maybe "they are near us in age."

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 5, 2008 at 2:15:04 pm

I often see films in Spanish and French with English subtitles where the subtitles change the context of what they're actually saying. In fiction, that's a no-no (the screenwriter would agree). In a documentary, making what someone is saying clear to the audience is very helpful (as long as you're sure that they meant what you think they meant!).
Ed

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2008 at 2:24:53 pm

In your example, you could just add "in age" in parentheses in the same titles and I think you'd be okay.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Aug 5, 2008 at 2:32:46 pm

this isn't grammar - it is idiom I would guess, although I don't speak Spanish.

All languages contain idiomatic expressions, whose meaning cannot be conveyed by translation of the individual words.

That's why translators are paid the big $$$.

Return to posts index

bouke vahl
on Aug 6, 2008 at 9:40:39 am

Keep in mind that the audience isn't stupid, and that things are shown in context. Most of the time you read a subtitle file from paper without the sound/image, it looks really stupid. But combined, it makes perfect sense.
More important, you have to shorten the text. That is a real challenge, but it can be done without harming the original content too much. Keep in mind to keep sync, even if it's virtual sync.
(If you have to change the order things are spoken, put titles on and off on natural pauses. If you do so, people won't notice. If you go out of sync, it is never natural.

There are quite some funny subtitled versions of Der Untergang, where Hitler is having funny monologues. Just cause they are sync, you acutally believe it. (Even I think it's funny, although i can understand German perfectly)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Aug 6, 2008 at 12:13:34 pm

That's because you have a weird sense of humor Bouke. And you prove it at least once a year with your dronken Kerstman video. :-)
Ed

[bouke vahl] "There are quite some funny subtitled versions of Der Untergang, where Hitler is having funny monologues. Just cause they are sync, you acutally believe it. (Even I think it's funny, although i can understand German perfectly)
"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]