FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need to create animated pie charts.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Godfrey Gudeski
I need to create animated pie charts.
on Jul 6, 2008 at 1:24:49 am

I'm looking for a program which can do animated bar graphs, pie charts, etc. in FCP. I was hopeful about Digital Anarchy's Data Animator but it doesn't work with my Intel Mac.

Does anyone know of a similar program that works well?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: I need to create animated pie charts.
on Jul 6, 2008 at 8:20:28 am

Try Keynote, and then export your chart as a video file. I don't know the extent of keynotes animation abilities but I know i can do some.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 6, 2008 at 2:29:24 pm

If you own the official Apple book on iWork.. this is covered in detail on the last chapter (bonus PDF on DVD-ROM)

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jul 6, 2008 at 5:39:26 pm

Boris Red, but it cost almost as much as FCP Studio.

Dajen Productions
Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 2.8 Octo - AJA Kona LHe
Huge 1.2 Raid
FCP 6.0.2-OS X 10.5.2-QT 7.4

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Jul 7, 2008 at 2:25:57 am

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you had in mind but may be worth checking out....

http://toolfarm.stores.yahoo.net/diandaan.html

http://toolfarm.stores.yahoo.net/stmo1.html

I know they're not FCP based...but may be useful if you have access to other platforms.

Return to posts index

Stace Carter
on Jul 7, 2008 at 6:34:40 pm

also:

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=49665

Return to posts index

Godfrey Gudeski
on Jul 11, 2008 at 6:25:37 am

Thank you all for your responses. I just wanted to post my ultimate solution to this problem in the event that it can help anyone else. I know I often stumble on threads like this years after they've been written and find them helpful.

So:

I looked at Digital Anarchy's Data Animator. It was a bit clunky for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that it doesn't work with FCP or with an Intel Mac so I had to use it on my Windows box (which is considerably slower) with Adobe AE. Also, the interface wasn't very intuitive and the support was rather slow (it took a few days to get an email response to a basic question). They did say they would be integrating FCP and Intel capability "within a few months" but frankly I'm not convinced; they apparently hadn't updated the download page in two years.

Next I tried iWork's Keynote and also Powerpoint. Both are fine, but they lacked mobility I was looking for (camera movement, animated movement within the chart). It looked fine for a presentation at a convention, but not very cinematic.

Then I looked into Stagetools' program Moving Charts. This was a bit closer to what I wanted, but it's a Windows-only product and the resolution isn't quite up to the 1920 width I need for this project; the max would probably end up being about 1000 pixels in width. The guy at Stagetools (very responsive, by the way) said it wasn't a product they support with any real enthusiasm, that it never really "took off".

So I bit the bullet and paid for Boris Red. This program is as spectacular as its high price suggests. As someone who hasn't really worked in a 3D environment much, the learning curve promises to be tremendous. But I'm already hooked on the powerful features this program offers, including a bar chart preset, which makes things much easier.

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my post; I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]