FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Prices

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Cumbo
Mac Prices
on Jun 28, 2008 at 5:15:00 am

I've been thinking about buying a Mac so I can run Avid and FCP at home.

Never owned a mac before and was wondering if the prices vary between buying directly from apple or buying from vendors such as tekserve.

sorry if this is the wrong forum and thanks in advance for any info.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Mac Prices
on Jun 28, 2008 at 5:39:26 am

Usually the same.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 28, 2008 at 5:54:17 am

thank you sir

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Jun 28, 2008 at 12:23:11 pm

You might want to go to an Apple Store. My business partner was able to work a slight business discount with a manager which saved us a few hundred bucks. That money went toward getting additional RAM.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Jun 28, 2008 at 3:05:47 pm

I have to agree with Dean. Repeated shopping at my Apple store resulted in some pretty nice discounts. Besides, Mac products are not typically discounted by other resellers.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jun 28, 2008 at 12:50:07 pm

I just ordered a MacPro, using my clients University Discount. It was the University Mac Store suggestion to use my clients university's ID card for the discount... It saved about the cost of the State sales tax and after rebate you get a free iPod Touch..... No too bad a favor from a client who cut 40% from my summer contract....

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jun 28, 2008 at 1:04:00 pm

Macmall,com always beats Apple's listed price. But my last Mac I bought from Apple. I called them and said that MacMall was cheaper and the woman said she could knock a little off the price. I was pleasantly surprised. Buying on-line from an authorized mac reseller (in another state) usually also means not paying hundreds in sales tax.
Ed

Return to posts index

George Burbano
on Jun 28, 2008 at 1:48:15 pm

Buying from an out of state mac reseller will save you money in sales tax. But.... sometimes not always this can be offset by, shipping costs, and the cost of returns in the event there is a problem.

Also save yourself more money by not buying the top of the line...For instance both tekserve and apple offer lower prices on computers that have recently been discontinued. You can save yourself money by purchasing a 2.66 quad core rather than a 3.2 8 core. The increase in performance is not that tremendous. Purchasing a 2.66 and using the savings to purchase additional ram, is better than getting an 8 core, with lower ram. Just a thought..

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 28, 2008 at 3:20:16 pm

Scott -
this is what you are going to do, since you have the luxury of living in New York City. You are going to have a nice weekend going shopping in Manhattan - everyone's dream. Today, you are going to go to the Apple Store in Manhattan, and get their prices. Tomorrow (sunday), you will stroll to the real Disney of New York - B+H Photo on 39th St, and you will go price shopping at B+H. There is nothing more fun (other than being with your girlfriend) in NY for anyone to do. Then on Monday morning, before going to Broadway Video, you will stop up at Tekserv on 23rd St. and do your final price shopping. You will have a wonderful weekend, and get the answers to your questions, and get to know critical vendors for what you do for a living, in New York City.

As for playing softball in Central Park to relax - SCREW THAT ! It's 11:15am Eastern time. Time to leave the house, and leave for the Apple store.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Horton
on Jun 28, 2008 at 4:32:07 pm

And on Tuesday you will go online and buy from Amazon after wasting everyones time at the Apple Store, B&H and Tekserve.

Sigh,

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jun 28, 2008 at 4:49:27 pm

George is right if you have returns, but ground shipping is free at MacMall, and your Mac can be repaired at any authorized Apple repair shop, or it will go to Apple directly under their warranty. As for walking to B&H and Tekserve, that little walk will cost you $250 extra in sales tax (is NYC still at 8.375%?), about $200 in price. Even if they give you a better price than what they say they will on-line, it's still hundreds of dollars cheaper to buy on-line out-of-state. What's the risk? If it's noticeably damaged in shipping, Fed Ex pays. If it breaks under warranty, it either goes to an authorized shop in NYC or goes back to Apple. I'm sure there are scenarios where you simply want to get it back to MacMall, so use a little of the hundreds of dollars you just saved to ship it back.
My office is in the tiny town in Vermont where SmallDog is located, and I still buy from macMall cheaper. But I can walk right in to SmallDog and get Apple repairs if needed.
Ed

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 28, 2008 at 7:35:54 pm

Hey Bob,
I lived in Queens my entire life (34 years) which means that last thing i want to do is walk around manhattan all weekend! hahaha. although your right that B&H is always fun.

thanks for the advice!

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jun 28, 2008 at 8:45:50 pm

The comments about ordering from out of state to avoid sales tax always puzzle me, because if you're in business and want to write off the cost of the computer, you have to keep a record of what you're writing off and its value. And most states require businesses to pay sales tax on items they purchase for their own use (officially it's called Sales and Use tax), whether they purchase the items in state or not. Once you create the initial paper trail of taking the write-off, which is worth much more than the couple hundred dollars sales tax, you've created a trail of business assets that can be easily viewed if you ever are audited by your state dept. of revenue (which I was this year). If you haven't paid sales tax on those items, you'll pay a lot more in penalties than the amount you saved by not paying the tax.

I have no idea if you're purchasing this for business or personal use, but since you're in the video business I'm sure you can easily justify writing off the entire expense in one year even if it's just for your own educational purposes. And maybe New York doesn't have the same sales tax requirements for business that NC does, but New York is not especially known as a tax haven.

Having been audited recently, I was very relieved that we had followed the law, and had nothing to worry about except having to locate all the right paperwork.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 28, 2008 at 8:55:31 pm

Listen Scott -
I lived in Queens for 35 years (and 4 in Manhattan) before moving to Florida, so I know what it's like to take the 7 train or F train into the city on the weekends - so dont' give me any crap. Get your ass onto that subway tomorrow, and get a 50 cent Grays Papaya hotdog while your are in the city.

After it's all done, follow Ed Dooley's advice - Small Dog is one of the best (and most honest) mail order companies for MAC products.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Jun 29, 2008 at 2:12:47 am

Except the owner's a jerk, and his small dog bit me once. :-)
Ed

[Bob Zelin] "After it's all done, follow Ed Dooley's advice - Small Dog is one of the best (and most honest) mail order companies for MAC products. "

Return to posts index

Ryan Atkins
on Jun 29, 2008 at 1:02:41 am

It pretty much all depends on what kind of Mac you want to buy. A desktop (MacPro) will cost at around/at least $2,500. As for price difference, everyone always wants to make an extra buck, so I'm not sure.

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Jun 30, 2008 at 4:23:05 pm

hey scott

does Johnathan Vesey Smith still work at Broadway? he would be in his early 50's by now, so maybe he is some kinda manger.

and dont forget to get the papaya juice as well as the hot dog! and pick me up some H and H bagels OK? (these fricken minnesotans have no idea waht a real bagel tastes like!)

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:13:01 am

At my business, we saved over $1,300 on about a $15,000 total
instal of 4 desktops, and monitors by getting bids from MacMall
and the Apple Store. Being owned by a large corporation, we
went with Macmall, no problems and used the savings to upgrade to
a larger 23-inch cinema display and more ram.

D's Video

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jul 1, 2008 at 4:15:09 pm

Hi Bob,
Sorry I don't know Johnathan Vesey Smith. I've been at Broadway for 4 years now. I know they had some REALLY big layoffs around 2001/2002. from what I heard a lot of long time staff got let go then.

Broadway's a really great place to work these days.
I'll fedex you some bagels in the morning!

Take care,

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]