FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dexil Rold
Blu-ray output
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:19:56 pm

I have Final Cut Pro and just came from an Apple meeting and they will not let me know if or when they will be able to create a Blu-ray. This is my only goal. Is it wise to switch to Adobe to accomplish this? My camera is a Sony Ex-1.

Dexil Rold

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Blu-ray output
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:30:32 pm

Adobe Encore will allow you to create a BluRay disk, yes. DVDSP will not. You can still edit in FCP and use Encore.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:54:16 pm

Jeremy,

I was told the other day that yes you can use a Blue Ray burner attached to the Mac to burn a HD Blue Ray disc using Toast 9,,, But you can not play a Blue ray movie back from the Blue Ray burner on the Mac... Is this true??

If so how do you proof your Blue Ray disc??

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:57:52 pm

[Nate Stephens] "If so how do you proof your Blue Ray disc??"

A BluRay player.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jun 19, 2008 at 4:01:52 pm

Thanks Jeremy,,

You just confirmed my worst fears..... another unexpected 500 bucks added to my HD MacPro upgrade this summer......

Is there a favorite Blue Ray Player at a great price out there.... or are they all about the same?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 19, 2008 at 4:05:42 pm

[Nate Stephens] "Is there a favorite Blue Ray Player at a great price out there.... or are they all about the same?"

The PS3 is the best investment/performance right now.

It turns on and loads Blu-Ray or DVD discs just as fast as a dvd set top player, it upconverts standard dvds really well and its the only available profile 2.0 player.

It really does so much more than just video games.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:42:05 pm

The Macs can not play Blu-ray disck just because there is not application available.
I can not play commercial BR discs from my LaCie, but I can play EX-1 from them in RT flawlessly.
With 18MB read/write you can even use a Re-writable BR disc as an external HD.
You can't do that with the PS3:-)
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:44:16 pm

[Rafael Amador] "With 18MB read/write you can even use a Re-writable BR disc as an external HD.
You can't do that with the PS3:-)"

you don't have to, you can STREAM it from the ps3. ;)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 20, 2008 at 3:31:49 am

Hi Chris,
You have many things to teach me:-)
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 19, 2008 at 4:48:21 pm

We've been using Encore since November and it does create BluRay discs very nicely so long as you're not trying to create a custom menu. We've been going round and round with Adobe for about 2 months now on some very VERY basic programming issues.

We'll create the exact same project as a regular DVD and everything works as programmed. We'll switch the same project to BluRay and the button programming all go wacky. Or just create a straight up BluRay project and the buttons are wacky. I'll have a much MUCH longer blog posting next few days or next week filling you in on all the details.

But it does work, we've already created 5 titles and are working on 5 more.

And for reviewing your discs, you'll need a BluRay player with the latest updates. We own the Sony BDP-S1 which is one of the original units and I'm purchasing a new Samsung today that has the latest specs on it. You really want to test on multiple players if you can. We have 5 DVD players here for testing all our DVD titles now and you'd be amazed at the differences in them.

For the actual burner, we have the unit from fastmac. http://www.fastmac.com No issues.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:02:44 pm

[walter biscardi] "We've been using Encore since November and it does create BluRay discs very nicely so long as you're not trying to create a custom menu."

Or, so long as you don't need to replicate...

Cost aside, which is prohibitive, BluRay disks authored in Encore can only be duplicated (burned) at this point. Adobe acknowleges they cannot be replicated (stamped), and they have not divulged if that will change. It may or may not be important to everyone, but its a good thing for anyone making the foray into BluRay authoring to know about.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:07:48 pm

That's a great thing to know. Thanks for that.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 19, 2008 at 6:59:02 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Or, so long as you don't need to replicate..."

You can create an ISO file to forward on to a commercial replication house for that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:13:31 pm

[walter biscardi] "You can create an ISO file to forward on to a commercial replication house for that."

Not really. The abstraction layer created during authoring in Encore does not use the proper spec necessary for replication.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:07:31 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "[walter biscardi] "You can create an ISO file to forward on to a commercial replication house for that."

Not really. The abstraction layer created during authoring in Encore does not use the proper spec necessary for replication."

which is why I'm a proponent of Sonic Solutions DVD IT PRO HD. It too has its stability issues but the menus work.

The latest version 6.4 now supports BD-50 disc (the only app in its class to do so) and it supports CMF .9 specification for blu-ray replication.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:14:37 pm

[Chris Borjis] "which is why I'm a proponent of Sonic Solutions DVD IT PRO HD. It too has its stability issues but the menus work."

Of course, it is a Windows only solution...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:43:33 pm

dual boot on a mac pro? ;)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:49:45 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Not really. The abstraction layer created during authoring in Encore does not use the proper spec necessary for replication."

If you insist.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Jun 19, 2008 at 9:35:58 pm

Currently DVDit Pro will not output the correct image for replication. It claims it can but it does not. Those images will flat out be rejected by a replicator. Encore never has. I understand from Sonic this will change soon. But "soon" for Sonic can be a year or two.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 19, 2008 at 9:48:34 pm

Screw BluRay ;)

Send your clients an Apple TV, it's cheaper, it supports 720p24 (among other of course), surround sound and it's easy.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 20, 2008 at 12:32:36 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Screw BluRay ;)

Send your clients an Apple TV, it's cheaper, it supports 720p24 (among other of course), surround sound and it's easy."

Well, except when you're releasing a new series on PBS and the client wants to sell the episodes on BluRay. You're kind of committed to BluRay. :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 19, 2008 at 10:40:22 pm

[Eric Pautsch] "Currently DVDit Pro will not output the correct image for replication. It claims it can but it does not. Those images will flat out be rejected by a replicator. Encore never has. I understand from Sonic this will change soon. But "soon" for Sonic can be a year or two."

Eric, this is no longer the case, if you request version 6.4 you can not only burn BD-50 but get CMF .9 specification for BR replication.

This is from the sonic support forum.

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Jun 19, 2008 at 10:59:38 pm

Jeez...I hate it when this info changes so quickly. :) Your correct, it does now. I find it odd though why Sonic would be selling a $30K plus authoring tool and ,at the same time, offer a $400 tool that outputs an image for replication? Seem like a shot in the foot to me. Regardless, I would never trust a BD image out of DVDit Pro unless its gone through an entire verification stage. I'd be surprised if it passes spec verification. Delighted but surprised :)

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:48:26 pm

[Eric Pautsch] "I find it odd though why Sonic would be selling a $30K plus authoring tool and ,at the same time, offer a $400 tool that outputs an image for replication? Seem like a shot in the foot to me. Regardless, I would never trust a BD image out of DVDit Pro unless its gone through an entire verification stage. I'd be surprised if it passes spec verification. Delighted but surprised :)"

well, scenarist has all the cool stuff you can do (limitless to the specification) where you only get a taste of it in menu's and maybe more than one audio track in the much smaller app.

Sonic Support has verified BD-25 and BD-50 replication with version 6.4

(thats how I learned they began supporting BD-50, I figured it was always going to be limited to BD-25)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 19, 2008 at 9:57:32 pm

[walter biscardi] "If you insist."

Well, I do like to report facts. This information comes straight from the horse's mouth, from Adobe's Kevan O'Brien, when "grilled" on the subject back on April 30th at the LAFCPUG meeting. According to Kevan, Adobe is "looking into it."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Eric Pautsch
on Jun 20, 2008 at 12:52:30 am

If 6.4 was only made available a couple weeks ago, I'd really like to know the Where, Whos and Hows of verification and replication from DVDit Pro?

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 20, 2008 at 4:06:45 pm

[Eric Pautsch] "If 6.4 was only made available a couple weeks ago, I'd really like to know the Where, Whos and Hows of verification and replication from DVDit Pro?"

Sonic being the premiere maker of authoring tools probably has a bedside relationship with Sony. They no doubt ran all the verification tests during development.

SS SCOTT, who moderates on behalf of sonic here at the cow on the dvdit! forum could probably answer that if you ask.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 20, 2008 at 6:16:30 am

He's right. Encore Discs cannot be replicated at a facility. They can only be burned with a duplicator, not mass produced.

Warreb

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/knitwits

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/family_xmas.jsp

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]