FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for 2 Edit bays

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Mehrman
Workflow for 2 Edit bays
on May 15, 2008 at 8:36:11 pm

Hello All,

I've been trying to figure out the best workflow/storage options for my small broadcast department and was wondering what options other people have used.

Currently we have one main edit bay and one secondary "bay" that is used for audio mixing.

Most of the work is done in the first bay so we have a direct connected eSATA RAID for the media. The problem is coming in when we want to send the project to the secondary bay for audio mixing. I would like to have a way to keep the secondary bay in sync with the first bay.

I know a SAN is the obvious solution for sharing projects between multiple systems, it just seems a little over kill and expensive for the 2 edit bay system we have set up.

I'm willing to except that i might just have to manually copy project files and media to the other system... i just wanted to throw it out there to see what other people are doing.

thanks in advance

Dave

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow for 2 Edit bays
on May 15, 2008 at 9:07:06 pm

Either a SAN...And you can try GIGe connections between rooms and just share the eSATA RAID with the other bay. That works for me to some degree. 2 streams of DVCPRO HD on both systems that way.

OR...you need to copy all the media, keeping the exact file structure and drive name, so that you have two drives with the same footage. Bear in mind this will get tricky once you start adding footage to the media drive on the main edit station. You will have to copy that footage to the other drive to the exact same location in order to not have to reconnect. Then you just send an updated project file when things change.

Try the GIGe thing...lessen your headache. The simplier things are, the better.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Dave Mehrman
on May 16, 2008 at 2:12:00 pm

Thanks Shane for your response.

I have thought about GiGe sharing of the RAID from the main system. I wasn't sure what the bandwidth would be like, since it wouldn't be a direct connection and there is some other computer traffic on the network.

But i'll have to give that a fair shot and see if it will work out.

DM

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 15, 2008 at 9:13:04 pm

Would installing an eSata controller card in the second suite work? Once the project is ready to go, walk the eSata raid into the second suite, plug it in and away you go.

If you don't want to walk the RAID over, again with a second eSata controller card, get an eSata drive, like a D2 Quadra, or WD MyBook, and use that as a jump drive between the 2 suite. The faster eSata connection will save you a tonne of time over USB or FW.

Colin McQuillan
Van BC
Octo 3.2, 8gig, 8800GT, 2x23" ACD, 2TB G-Speed eS, Kona LHe, JVC DT-V24L1UA, Mackie 1202-VLZ3, KRK Rokit5's....
MBP 2.4, 4gig , 2xLacie Quadra 500gig....

Return to posts index

Dave Mehrman
on May 16, 2008 at 2:17:24 pm

Thanks for your response Colin

Putting another controller card is definitely an option. I guess i was just trying to avoid as much as possible the shuffling of my Drive Arrays.

Copying to another drive is possible to, but then i start duplication source media and graphic files which i wanted to try to avoid too.

really i was just throwing the question out there to see what others are doing.

any time i look up multi-system project sharing... most that comes up is SAN (which i would love to do, but just isn't cost effective for my small set up).

thanks again for your response

DM

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on May 16, 2008 at 2:43:28 pm

DAve

get a fast fw800 or esata hard drive or a small array (2 drives)
and ONLY use that. Capture your footage to it and save your project on it. Unplug it and carry it to the second room, or to a post house, or to a color session, or to an FCP editor in Bangalore.

just copy the entire drive over at night so you have a backup

believe it or not, some fw 800 drives can handle 2 streams of DVCPROHD, not to mention ProRes

"I like video because its so fast!"

Bob Flood
Greer & Associates, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]