FORUMS: list search recent posts

Going from a DV file with 2 stereo audio tracks to an MP4 with 2 aac tracks...possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geert van den Berg
Going from a DV file with 2 stereo audio tracks to an MP4 with 2 aac tracks...possible?
on May 4, 2008 at 7:40:03 pm

I work for a company that dubs foreign language programs into dutch.

We used to supply our translators with a DVD which contained both the domestic mix on the left channel and the M&E on the right channel, but we like to send them files instead.

The material is ingested as DV with 2 stereo audio tracks, so we can work with it in our Pro Tools audio studios.

The problem is, we can make an MP4 manually with 2 audio tracks but there seems to be no way of automating this process from FCP or with Apple compressor. The 2 stereo tracks are always summed.

The only thing I managed to make was an MP4 with an AAC quad audio track, which doesn't make trackswitching easy for the translators..

Does anyone know a way to do this?

(Handbrake the DVD ripping software, can now rip a DVD to an MP4 with 2 audio tracks, but I haven't found any application that can do this with a DV file, or anyone other videoformat)

Geert van den Berg
http://www.wpp.nl

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Going from a DV file with 2 stereo audio tracks to an MP4 with 2 aac tracks...possible?
on May 5, 2008 at 3:12:05 am

Hi Geert,
Sorry but your workflow is a little complicate to understand for me.
You have been exporting from FC, DV movies with 2 stereo audio.
From this you made DVD's.
You want to export just the same audio but no image. Isn't it?
Why don't you just export the audio from FC?
When you export choose "Audio only".
You will get a .mov with the two stereo channels but no picture.

Mac OX 10.5.2-FC 6.02-QT 7.4.1
G5 2x2Gh 4GbRAM-BlackMagic Extreme
PMBP 17"Core2Duo 4GbRAM-AJA ioHD
JVC DTV-17"
SONY EX-1 . SONY PD170
..and always a big mess on top of the table.

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
Re: Going from a DV file with 2 stereo audio tracks to an MP4 with 2 aac tracks...possible?
on May 5, 2008 at 7:25:26 am

No, we want both sound and picture!

At first we made DVD's but not with FCP, we just used a DVD recorder which captured the composite signal from the DigiBeta.

Now we want to skip the DVD recorder, because files are easier and faster to send than DVD's.

Geert van den Berg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 5, 2008 at 3:49:39 am

I THINK what you need to separate the audio tracks and export as a dual mono instead of stereo. then assign the tracks in FCP (voice ch1, M&E Ch2). At that point, you should have a dual mono file and everything you do to it should remain dual mono.

Hit apple-0 on your sequence and choose the audio settings tab and check dual mono. Then go back to FCP and right click just underneath the the auto select box and choose audio output > 1 for all of your voice tracks, then on all of your M&E tracks right click and choose Audio Output > 2.

Does that make sense and does it help?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on May 5, 2008 at 7:28:13 am

Yes it does make sense what you're saying, but we want to automate this process, because we're doing lots of series, so I am looking for alternatives. Or maybe a way to automate this process.

Geert van den Berg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 5, 2008 at 1:57:06 pm

What do you mean by automate? What part of this do you need to automate?

Please explain your exact workflow and I'll try and come up with something.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on May 6, 2008 at 10:49:14 am

Workflow:

1. DigiBeta (with stereo Domestic mix and stereo M&E)
-> ingest into FCP as DV file with 2 stereo tracks (burned in TC)
-> making a DVD with both Domestic and M&E (burned in TC)

2. Making Pro Tools sessions. The DV files is our picture reference and we extract the audio from the file from within Pro Tools so we have the M&E to do our Dutch mix.

3. we send the DVD's to our translators and once we have the translations we start dubbing.

We would like to ingest the tapes and at the end of the day start a batch conversion to MP4 with all the ingested material and skip making DVD's because sending files is more convenient.

We have tried conversions from within FCP and with Compressor, the only way to retain the 2 stereo tracks is to select 'passthrough' but then the audiofiles are uncompressed and too big to be practical to send them over the internet.

It's not necessary for the Domestic and M&E to maintain stereo, but since the ingested material is stereo retaining this would be a nice bonus. With and application like VLC I managed to switch between de Domestic and the M&E, just as if it were a multilanguage DVD. But this MP4 file I created manually with QT pro.

What we would like to avoid is having to put every file in a sequence. But if that's the only option that's probably what we'll be doing then.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Geert van den Berg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 6, 2008 at 2:56:19 pm

I get it, you don't want 2 tracks of audio, you want four tracks. Sorry, I misunderstood.

As far as I know, the way you have it going now is the only way to do it. I am not sure if COmpressor is smart enough to tell it to compress and keep the four track structure as most web movies barley need to be stereo let alone have 4 tracks of audio.

Or, like you said, the way that I know of to combine tracks of audio is to copy and paste them in QTPro.

Sorry I don't have a better solution. Is it possible you can zip the files with the uncompressed tracks before sending? That should cut down the file bloat a bunch.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on May 6, 2008 at 3:38:38 pm

Thanks for thinking about a solution anyway!

Actually it would be okay to have dual mono files in the files instead of 2 stereo files (I agree the topic title wasn't very clear), but that still involves adding the video and audio to timeline for every file, but maybe we can find a way to automate this.

I might put this question up in the 'compression forum' as well, till today I didn't even know that forum existed, maybe they know something overthere!

Geert van den Berg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 6, 2008 at 4:04:24 pm

[Geert van den Berg] "Actually it would be okay to have dual mono files in the files instead of 2 stereo files (I agree the topic title wasn't very clear), but that still involves adding the video and audio to timeline for every file, but maybe we can find a way to automate this. "

You can set FCP to capture dual mono files off of your dBeta or mix them down with an analog mixer and capture dual mono that way. What capture card do you have?

[Geert van den Berg] "I might put this question up in the 'compression forum' as well, till today I didn't even know that forum existed, maybe they know something overthere! "

Certainly!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on May 6, 2008 at 6:35:20 pm

We have a Decklink card. We capture from DigiBeta via SDI.

We do need the stereo files (or dual mono's) as we use those in Pro Tools and to mix with when the dubs are finished. Otherwise we would have to make 2 runs to ingest the material that would be a waste of time.

One option that has crossed my mind is to add an extra computer with another video card replacing the DVD recorder and indeed mix the audio before it goes into this computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]