FORUMS: list search recent posts

How about a font missing warning?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Philip Ohler
How about a font missing warning?
on Apr 2, 2008 at 5:01:18 pm

We have 7 Final Cut Pro workstations which are all on a LAN and XSAN at the ad agency I work at. The workstations have fonts loaded from Font Rerserve which serves fonts to the entire agency(upwards of 1000 people). Here’s our problem: With Final Cut Pro, if you used a certain font in a project and then that saved project is opened on another system and the font wasn’t loaded by Font Reserve, FCP will substitute that font with a default font. There are no warnings of any kind that the font is missing. Both Motion and Live Type warn you if the font is missing. Now why can’t FCP warn you too? In my minds the other programs are simply searching the project code for fonts and comparing it to the Font Reserve data base and launching a warning if the doesn’t find the font. You don't know the number of headaches this causes us. Sometimes you just can't tell or notice that the font has changed.

Now here's the thing...

If I open an FCP project in Text Edit, I can find the font in the code and this font name stays whether the font is loaded or not. So why can’t FCP do the same kind of check that Motion and Live Type do?

Any ideas or solutions beyond the obvious one of loading and using only a certain set of fonts would be greatly appreciated. We can't control creatives coming in and asking for a font that's not in our standard set.

Apple! Are you out there listening!??

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: How about a font missing warning?
on Apr 2, 2008 at 11:16:04 pm

The real question here is why do some computers on the network have fonts that others don't? If it was me, every time I saw this happen, I'd try to get the font licensed for use in the network, & add it into Font Reserve- end of problem.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Philip Ohler
on Apr 3, 2008 at 12:24:32 am

We're talking thousands of fonts available to us. It's obviously impractical to have all the fonts loaded on every station with Font Reserve at one time. This really isn't a problem with our setup, it's a problem with FCP because at least two other of the pro apps give you a warning if the font is missing and I'm thinking Adobe products do also. Font Reserve is there to manage the fonts through the network so everyone has access to all the same fonts whether they be editors or art directors or whoever.

I have posted feedback to the FCP feedback link on the Apple website.

Return to posts index

Bob Roberts
on Apr 3, 2008 at 2:11:48 am

OMFG...I HATE HOW FCP HANDLES FONTS!!!!!

Philip, I agree with you completely. I edit XXX# of programs with XXX# of fonts with XXX# of clients at XXX# of facilities.

Simply "having" the right fonts isn't always an option. At the very least, if I don't change the font, don't substitute in the default.

ARGH!!!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 4, 2008 at 8:54:13 am

Y'know, it would be one thing if we were shaking our fists about needing a feature that had never existed anywhere...but one that already exists in other Pro Apps? Definitely too much to ask.

Grrrrr.....

Tim

Tim Wilson, Creative Cow
Get your free subscription to the Cow Magazine!
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

Philip Ohler
on Apr 4, 2008 at 3:19:32 pm

Amen Tim.

And you would think given that it seems all the necessary information/code lives within the project file that someone could write an applescript or automator action for this. I've emailed this issue to the Applescript Guru Sal Soghoian and we've mentioned this to our Apple reps and they said they would have Cupertino work on this. We'll see. There must be some complication and I have a feeling it might have to do with Boris Title 3D. Maybe it's time for Apple to abandon the Boris Title tool and make the FCP title tool more robust and handle Post Script fonts.

I'll update if I find out anything.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 4, 2008 at 7:39:19 pm

Have you stepped through this workflow using the native FCP generators? Worth doing as a speedy experiment to help the troubleshooting. If you have the same problem, then Boris may not have anything to do with it one way or the other.

If your experiment shows that the native generators work, then there's still at least one other question-- is FCP not passing the font information through...or is Boris not picking it up?

Of course, if the native generators still show the same problem -- and I'll be they do -- then we know where Apple needs to start working first. :-)

Tim

Tim Wilson, Creative Cow
Get your free subscription to the Cow Magazine!
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

Gary Slickman
Missing System Font in Live Type
on Oct 30, 2008 at 12:38:22 am

I tried loading a template in Live Type and got a message This project uses a missing system font: “AppleMyungjo Regular.”
I have used Live Type in the past but never had this issue...How do I get a copy of this font and where do I install it? I searched my system but it doesn't seem to exist.
OS 10.5.5 on G5 PPC Dual 2.5 GHZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]