FORUMS: list search recent posts

re exporting and re-importing movie without loss of resolution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sancha
re exporting and re-importing movie without loss of resolution
on Mar 14, 2008 at 9:19:38 am

I am trying to make a very complicated animation. This requires hours of rendering in HD and many effects and motion. What I want to do is to break this down into projects and export as? tagas? avi? etc then import into the final project. If I do this, can FCP import as a sequence of tagas etc... What is the resolution drop off? with avi? or with tagas? At the moment I am using Quick time pro to make a video out of numbered sequence then making that save as movie avi? But this is still avi and could loose quality. Anita

Return to posts index

Jayson Rahmlow
Re: re exporting and re-importing movie without loss of resolution
on Mar 14, 2008 at 10:01:51 am

Hi Anita,
I posted a similar question not too long ago in the after effects forum. Folks suggested I use the quicktime animation codec in a .mov container. At full quality it's lossless. The only problem is that it makes huge video files which'll strain your hard drive. I had to upgrade my hard drive to keep up with the files bandwidth. I ended up buying the firmtek 2en2. It's in the mail now till then I'm using a firewire drive that blinks like wild when I'm playing an HD animation video.

also, i'm aware there are more efficient lossless codec's like sheervideo's. But they weren't as easy to use as the animation codec. But I'd like to hear if anyone knows of a better solution.

jayson
http://www.oldchldprojects.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 14, 2008 at 4:33:43 pm

[anita sancha] "can FCP import as a sequence of tagas etc... What is the resolution drop off?"

Sure FCP can import sequential Targa files (see the manual) and there is no loss as TGA files can be exported uncompressed. Sequential image files are very RAM intensive, but they can be quite useful.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Mar 14, 2008 at 7:49:50 pm

Re..Exporting works and has 5 settings for tgas ...best or million colours plus... which is best.

Well I've been through the manual... I still cannot get the imported tagas to become a SINGLE clip, I get loads of seperate tgas. so I have to make them into yet another sequece, to make a clip. Can FCP just select the first tga and then it comes in as a numbered sequence as only 1 clip. This is how I used to do this with premier, it was very easy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]