FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serial number woes - moderately urgent.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico Jones
Serial number woes - moderately urgent.
on Feb 28, 2008 at 11:02:02 am

Hi Chaps,

I won't bore you with the details of why I need this, but...

I'm running FCS2 on a machine. It was upgraded from FCP1. I appear to have misplaced the original serial number for the full FCP1. I need it for process of elimination purposes on another machine!

Is there any record stored on the mac that will give a hint at the FCP1 serial number? Much like the FCS2 serial number is displayed when you click 'about final cut'.

I've opened that 'Final Cut Studio System ID' file with text edit but it appears to be nonsense. Am I opening this file with the wrong program?

Any ideas? I know it's a dumbass question, but there you go.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: Serial number woes - moderately urgent.
on Feb 28, 2008 at 11:14:09 am

>Is there any record stored on the mac that will give a hint at the FCP1 serial number?

Nope, sorry but there isn't. You'll have to rummage around a little longer for that lost serial number.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 28, 2008 at 11:28:25 am

If you have proof of purchase you might be able to get it from Apple. Try an Apple store.

Do you rally have FCS2 running on your machine? If you do why do you need the FCS1 serial number?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 3.5 HD Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Nico Jones
on Feb 28, 2008 at 1:17:42 pm

Ah yes, I was a little vague...

OK, we have 2 macs in the office. Each with FCS2 that has been upgraded from FCP1.

Mac 1's hard drive got messed up, and the OS had to be cleanly re-installed. So now I need to re-install FCS2. To do it from the upgrade I need the serial for FCP1.

But also, I could do with knowing the FCP1 serial for Mac 2 just so I don't go and install the same version by accident, when given a choice of 2 serial numbers - assuming I find them.

Arrrg.

Thanks for the help, chaps!

Nico J BB

Return to posts index

Mitch Sink
Re: Serial number woes - Do NOT type the Serial Number into the program!
on Feb 29, 2008 at 10:25:44 pm

Hi,

I NEVER type a serial number into a program. I type them into a Password Storage Program. Then I click the Copy Button in the Password Program, then paste it into the program, confirming I typed it correctly.

I have the serial number for every program on my system stored on my hard drive and I never manually type a serial number more than once. Of course I back it up.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Lee Burrows
on Mar 23, 2008 at 5:42:55 pm

Hey Mitch. That password program sounds interesting. Care to share the name of it?

BTW - I'm in the same boat as Nico except my 5.0 version was the mail back crossgrade that Apple did and so I need version 4.5's serial #. I installed on my desktop but waited to do it on my laptop and am paying the price as I misplaced 4.5' serial number. Pain in the butt trying to sort this out:(

Thanks Much

Lee

Mac OS X (10.4.10)
1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
Dual 2 GHz Processor
Power PC G5
FCP 5.1.4
Black Magic Decklink Extreme
Sony UVW 1800
Motion 2

Return to posts index

Mitch Sink
on Mar 27, 2008 at 8:14:44 pm

Hi Lee,

Sorry for the late reply (I was not following the thread). I just switched to 1Password which is great for Web Site Passwords. It works for Serial Numbers but it is a little kludgy (store them as secure notes). Still a better solution than scraps of paper etc.:
http://1password.com/

If $20 is OK this looks good (I haven't tried it):
http://outerlevel.com/licensekeeper/

I think this donationware would work fine also (I might put my Serial Numbers in it and use 1Password for the Web):
http://www.macupdate.com/reviews.php?id=11818

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]