FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple may hate me after this, but...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Apple may hate me after this, but...
on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:12:04 pm

Applecare really is worth its weight in gold. Here's why...

I didn't know it, but buying an Applecare policy on your MAC actually entitles owners to on-site repairs.

In my case, my 2.5 year old G5 suddenly began suffering intermittent crashes and it began to smell a bit like bad smores burning on a campfire. The folks at Applecare have diagnosed the problem as a bad processor, and the smell they believe is the grease between the heatsink and the bad processor. Meanwhile, they overnighted two replacement procs and a new main board to a local repair shop who are coming within 48 hours to replace them all.

Just thought you all should know that help is there when and if you need it...

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple may hate me after this, but...
on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:13:20 pm

Niiiiiicce. I had to drag mine into Unitek in Encino. I think next time I'll let them come to me.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:20:17 pm

Hey Shane,

I didn't know you were in the LA area. I'm in Westwood. I know David is also local.

[Shane Ross] "Niiiiiicce. I had to drag mine into Unitek in Encino."

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/knitwits

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/family_xmas.jsp

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 27, 2008 at 6:23:14 pm

All ya had to do was click on my head at the top and read my bio.

But yeah, you never can tell where people are from unless they offer the info.

I'm in the Valley...North Hollywood.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Feb 27, 2008 at 8:40:00 pm

[Shane Ross] "All ya had to do was click on my head at the top and read my bio. "

And make your face go away? Never.

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/knitwits

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/family_xmas.jsp

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Feb 27, 2008 at 11:55:13 pm

Dude,
All the best editors are in North Hollywood! ;-)

Kevin Monahan

Take My FCP Master's Workshop!

fcpworld.com

Pres. SF Cutters

Return to posts index

Billy Johnson
on Feb 27, 2008 at 7:09:59 pm

Totally agree, apple care is worth every penny. In November a processor in my G5 Quad went bad, as well as a few other things. The parts were back ordered for 3 months. They knew this wasn't acceptable and they gave me a new Mac Pro. I couldn't have been happier.

"Blind respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

--Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on Feb 27, 2008 at 8:35:30 pm

I replaced my keyboard in my iBook this morning which I got from my AppleCare.

One thing it didn't cover however was my power plug when it broke off inside my laptop =/
That was like $70.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 27, 2008 at 9:31:37 pm

absolutely applecare is great!

they replaced a defective cooling unit on my g5 quad
which requires an entire cpu/cooling unit to be replaced.

the cost is more than the machine itself, but free
with applecare.

The parts where back ordered for 1 week and they would
not do the repair at our facility, so I allowed them
to take it with them and it was back within 2 hours.

Return to posts index

arc nevada
on Feb 27, 2008 at 11:52:42 pm

Chris Borjis,

Who told you that about the G5 quad? Every G5 I seen had a huge heat sink and a plexiglasss air flow vent and a fan. That is all there was. They were not liquid cooled. Even if they were liquid cooled it would not be $1900.00 to replace. The G5s have a big plexiglass air flow vent but there is no way that would be anymore than $25.00-$35.00 bucks unless Apple is ripping people off. Plexiglass is not expensive. If the cost of one part is more than the computer how could they make money? They would indeed loose money. My guess is the cost was no more than $120.00 parts and labor.I admit if the CPU was damged it may have been closer to 4 or 5 hundred

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 28, 2008 at 4:26:32 am

[arc nevada] "Every G5 I seen had a huge heat sink and a plexiglasss air flow vent and a fan. That is all there was. They were not liquid cooled."

Some models are liquid cooled along with the regular fans, the plate that says G5 on it covers it up.

[arc nevada] "Even if they were liquid cooled it would not be $1900.00 to replace. The G5s have a big plexiglass air flow vent but there is no way that would be anymore than $25.00-$35.00 bucks unless Apple is ripping people off."

Oh it easily could cost that much, if the liquid from the cooling leaked it would damage all sorts of components. It would be components that would need to be replaced then just the processor with its attached liquid cooling unit, the logic board, power supply and possibly more components including the computers housing may need to be replaced depending on how much corrosion was on it.

I had one usb port on my G5 go bad because the ports are all built onto the logic board the entire logic board was need to be replaced, the quote I quote was $900 for parts and labor on the logic board. Add the processor and other components and it easily could be $1900.

Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

arc nevada
on Feb 28, 2008 at 4:04:08 pm

Zane Barker

Chris Borjis posted about a cooling unit being replaced. He did not talk about a liquid cooling system leaking. You have poster your own scenario, Why? Like I said the cost to replace a liquid cooling system would not be $1800.00. The Macs do not even have them. If a liquid cooling system did leak that is a totaly different scenario but we are not talking about a leaky cooling system or a laptop that fell from a tree.

The Logic board would not cost $900.00 dollars and the labor would be less than a half hour worth of labor. Some PC cases make it hard to get at the MOBO but the G5 towers make it easy to replace the logic board. Have you ever built a computer or replaced a logic board (motherboard)? Have you seen the inside of a G5 tower? They are very clean.

On a side not CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy all have salesmen that will tell you that you need the warranty because if the CPU goes or the MOBO goes it will be $600.00 to repalce. That is pure BS but many ignorant people believe the salesmen. The time to replace a MOBO is less than one hour at a cost of $40-60 bucks for labor at most repair shops. The cost of a decent MOBO is about $75-$150 unless you have a real highend dual CPU MOBO. Good Core 2 Dual (2.4 GHZ)CPUs can be bought for well under $150.00 and replaced for $40-50 bucks at most shops. MOBOS can be replaced for under $200.00 part an labor at most custom shops. I admit many computer techs try to rip of the customer (Apple may be one of them). I am just glad I can build my own.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 28, 2008 at 5:32:29 pm

arc nevada the whole point of my post was to explain to you that it would cost more then 400-500 that you clammed it would be.

Much of my information comes from a friend that works repairing macintosh computers. When the USB port on my computer went out asked him about the repair. It takes longer then the 1/2 hour that you claim, just to do the physical repair, after that he explained that you have to re-calibrate thermal sensors and run hardware test. He said it is a fairly time consuming repair compared to most others.

Return to posts index

arc nevada
on Feb 28, 2008 at 7:40:21 pm

Zane,

Is your friend an idiot, retarted or dishonest? Honest PC shops do not repair a broken USB ports or even a broken IDE ports on the MOBO. Why? It would be cheaper to replace the MOBO. If they can fix it for less than $45.00 they will. Like I said people that are ignorant about computers and printers can get ripped off real easy. You were one of those people but now you know better. Would you pay $250.00 to fix a $200.00 multi function printer or would you buy a new $200.00 dollar mulitfuntion printer? Only a fool would pay $600.00 to fix a MOBO. I admit it could easily cost $250.00 to actualy fix a multi function printer because of the labor ($45.00-$50.00 per hour) but most honest technician will tell you to buy a new one. I do not doubt that Apple would charge $1900.00 dollars to fix a $1600.00 computer but you must be wise enough to know you can fix it for $1600.00 yourself just by buying a new one. What you pay for repairs and what it should actualy cost are two different prices.

Most shops only charge $40.00 to install hardrives (compUSA did it free)becuase it is easy. MOBO might be about $70.00 and CPU instals are about $50-$60. These instal only take 10-30 minutes. Don't let Apple rip you off again.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 28, 2008 at 8:35:52 pm

First off name calling only reflects poorly on you. My friend works for apple itself and told me that the part alone is $800.

I also don't know why you keep talking about pc shops when to even get parts for mac computers you must be a authorized apple repair center.

You also bring up printers for absolutly no reason at all.

You also talk about repairing USB ports indeed of replacing the logic board. I don't know any shop that would repair just one port that is built onto the logic board with out replacing the entire logic board.

Return to posts index

arc nevada
on Feb 28, 2008 at 10:36:18 pm

Zane,

Much of my information comes from a friend that works repairing macintosh computers. When the USB port on my computer went out asked him about the repair. It takes longer then the 1/2 hour that you claim, just to do the physical repair, after that he explained that you have to re-calibrate thermal sensors and run hardware test. He said it is a fairly time consuming repair compared to most others.

Zan you wrote the paragraph above. You claim you had a bad USB port on your MOBO and you claim your friend fixed it. Now you claim the USB ports on the MOBOs do not get fixed. The reason you changed your mind is because I educated you about motherboards not being fixed. Instead they are replaced because the cost of labor to fix them is more than the cost of the MOBO. The bottom line is you are the one that posted motherboards get fixed not me. I take offense to you claiming I did. You are being very disshonest.

Some of the Local PC shop around here do repair Macs. Macs and PC use the same parts, RAM, hardrive, CPU, audio card. The Mac uses a modifed Intel MOBO but they can be ordered.

I mentioned the printer scenario to prove my point. I think after reading my post you realized it is stupid to pay Apple $1800.00 to fix a $1600.00 Imac and it is stupid to pay $250.00 to fix a $200.00 printer. You should thank me for showing you the light but instead you posted miss information. Why?

Zane, if what you posted about Apple is true then you could post a response like this.

"Arc I imagine you know more about computer hardware than I do (PC and Mac). I admit the Apple Techs might have lied or at the very least exagurated the cost of repairs. Thanks for pointing that out. I learned a lot".

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 29, 2008 at 12:08:46 am

I NEVER claimed to have gotten it fixed I only said I got a quote on the cost, I decided to put the money toward a new machine.

The only thing that you have educated me on is the fact that you yourself don't fully know what you are talking about. For example MOBO what is that, on macs they are called Main Logic Boards or MLB.

My good friend who is an Apple Certified Techniction has never even heard of them called MOBO's

Return to posts index

arc nevada
on Feb 29, 2008 at 5:18:28 am

Motherboard and Logicboard are Apple and PC semantics. Like I said the costs you posted for repairs were way to expensive. No one would pay $1800.00 to fix a $1600.00 computer. Instead of being obnoxious you could have just agreed and said "Arc is right. It should not cost that much money to repair because they will infact replace the parts rather than fix them". That would have been the smart thing to do. At any rate you should not have got a quote of $900.00 for your logic board as you posted.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 29, 2008 at 5:40:04 am

[arc nevada] "At any rate you should not have got a quote of $900.00 for your logic board as you posted. "

Nothing is wrong with the quote, $800 for parts and $100 for labor.

And again you keep assuming that people are paying for repair that that would cost that much, my friend says that 99% of people just put money toward a new computer. The only guy he remembers who didn't, chose to have it repaired because he still needed classic applications and you cant run classic applications on a Intel mac.

The problem here is that you keep assuming things, your assumptions that I repaired my mac instead of just getting a quote, the assumption that people are paying that much for a repair.

Stop assuming.

[arc nevada] "Instead of being obnoxious you could have just agreed and said "Arc is right."

Why I have no reason at all to say that. Making assumptions does not make you right, no matter how much you want to be right.

Return to posts index

arc nevada
on Feb 29, 2008 at 8:41:24 am

I think your full of BS and making up silly stories because you dont want to admit I am right. Why repair an old Mac when you can buy one on ebay for less?

I am not assuming you repaired your Mac my friend. Infact I thought the whole story was BS and I was tying to point that out to you.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 29, 2008 at 8:55:09 am

Dude calm down, my story was not made up. You apparently don't want to admit that some people may actualy choose to pay for a repair like that, I would not but apparently some people will like the guy who wanted to use clasic.

You did assume, and again I have given no BS.

Now I consider the mater closed, as it is going absolutly noware and we are just giving everybody else who comented on the origional post plently of unwanted and unneeded email in there in box.

So let's both just STOP now!!!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2008 at 12:44:20 am

[arc nevada] "I think your full of BS and making up silly stories because you dont want to admit I am right. Why repair an old Mac when you can buy one on ebay for less?

I am not assuming you repaired your Mac my friend. Infact I thought the whole story was BS and I was tying to point that out to you."

You really have to go find another community to interact in. The Creative Cow is clearly not for you.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Mar 3, 2008 at 2:45:12 am

Not this guy again...Does he live just to vent his hostility
here on the COW? Man, I tire of his adolescent ranting. Cant someone just block his ability to access this site and prevent
him from insulting and annoying the community?

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Mar 3, 2008 at 12:37:41 am

ahhh.... sh!t.... arc nevada.... again????

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2008 at 12:43:11 am

[arc nevada] "Zane,

Is your friend an idiot, retarted or dishonest?"

Responses like this are not welcome on the Creative Cow. They reflect incredibly poorly on you and the Cow as a whole.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]