FORUMS: list search recent posts

Evidence of Apple's Move Away from NAB 2008

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Lasson
Evidence of Apple's Move Away from NAB 2008
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:17:40 pm

In Apple's statement about leaving NAB, they suggest that there are better ways to contact their customer base. Since then, I've received two emails from Apple about product tours.

10.5 Server
http://seminars.apple.com/go/leopardserver

Aperture 2
http://www.apple.com/aperture/tour

This could be evidence of Apple's trend to get out and talk to people instead of relying on NAB or other conventions to do so. If this trend continues, you might see Apple coming to a city near you (or with in a couple of states, which is almost the same.)

Just thought I'd share.

-Russ

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Evidence of Apple's Move Away from NAB 2008
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:24:23 pm

[Russell Lasson] "you might see Apple coming to a city near you (or with in a couple of states, which is almost the same.)"

I despise Road Shows and I'll tell you why. One company or a family of companies tied around one host. You get to hear one side of the story and that's it. Conventions like NAB you get to walk around and compare everyone's story in one place.

Instead of a Road Show, you can do much better using a site like the Cow to wander the forums and hear everyone's story.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:49:42 pm

[walter biscardi] "I despise Road Shows and I'll tell you why."

I'll agree with you that the presentation is very one sided. On the flip side though, I've had some great personal conversations with companies like AJA after the presentation is over. At NAB, unless you're a big buyer, that type of attention is hard to get.

I'll also say that even when Apple was at NAB, I never got much more out of them then what I already knew from the website and the press release. If anything, I was able to clarify their sometimes too good to be true statements by drilling the presenters a little with questions that they aren't allowed to answer.

So even with Apple not being at NAB this year, I'm not sure what knowledge I'll really miss out on. It will all come to light once the software ships.

I will miss the excitement and atmosphere that the Apple vs. AVID environment built.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:28:42 pm

(or within a couple of states, which is almost the same.)

Unless your "closest" state choices are Dallas Texas, Denver Colorado or Phoenix Arizona. All WAY to far for a casual visit for me. I'll stick to seeing and evaluating Quantel, Autodesk, Adobe and Sony products ans systems all under one roof at NAB.
I also have no interest in Server 10.5 or Aperture, or I-junk seminars. Just a stable FCP Studio suite of products....

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:34:26 pm

Here's the other point that people seem to be missing...

If you want to do serious editing, you have two choices, Avid or Final Cut Pro. Yeah, I know there are others and I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm just speaking the truth.

Well, the amount of FCP systems and the amount of Avid systems would tell you that the customer base would sell you systems alot more than a pre-canned sales pitch on the floor at NAB by someone who doesn't even know the system they demo.

I can understand fully Apple's and Avid's position on this.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com
http://blogs.creativecow.net/waynecarey

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:41:02 pm

[Wayne Carey] "than a pre-canned sales pitch on the floor at NAB by someone who doesn't even know the system they demo."

You mean the folks like myself and Jerry Hofmann?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 25, 2008 at 9:45:16 pm

You got it!

As a case in point, I ended up last year giving a demo on XDCAM to several people since the Apple rep had no idea about importing XDCAM.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 25, 2008 at 10:25:23 pm

[Wayne Carey] "You got it!"

Nope not really. When you make a generalizes statement like:

Well, the amount of FCP systems and the amount of Avid systems would tell you that the customer base would sell you systems alot more than a pre-canned sales pitch on the floor at NAB by someone who doesn't even know the system they demo.

you're lumping folks like me, Jerry, Shane Ross, Gary Adcock and a LOT of other Cow Leaders from all the forums who demo systems for companies in their booths.

Generalized statements like that one do nothing but make me wonder why I even bother to go demo stuff at NAB since obviously I really don't know the system that I'm demo'ing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 25, 2008 at 10:34:52 pm

Walter... Come,on... Dude.

You know the people that I speak of... There are many, many people that are trained the week before the show to do nothing but showcase the products at hand. I'm not referring to the pros who work the booths. Not all booths have pros in them.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 25, 2008 at 10:37:55 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Walter... Come,on... Dude.

You know the people that I speak of... There are many, many people that are trained the week before the show to do nothing but showcase the products at hand. I'm not referring to the pros who work the booths. Not all booths have pros in them."

When you make a generalized statement like you did, just as Tim Wilson did in the Business Forum, then you are lumping everyone together.

Road Shows can have terrible presenters, Conventions can have terrible presenters, VAR's can be terrible presenters. No matter where you go you can get a terrible presentation.

But you made a statement that people in the booth's don't know what they're doing. It's a generalized statement that applies to everyone. If you want to quantify the statement, then think about doing so before you make a public posting.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Feb 25, 2008 at 10:49:18 pm

You always have to separate the flotsam and jetsom, especially at NAB. There really are knowledgeable people giving "demo" there for nearly every company. You just need to know who to talk with. I know that Tim Wilson's worst nightmare is ever working another NAB show again, but I really enjoyed and learned things about RED when he worked for Boris FX. I really enjoyed the "last demo" he gave in a private suite at NAB about Boris Blue before it was released. I even got that "personal touch" from Apple at NAB at the "side displays" where I could actually talk with the people who wrote the code for Live Type (which used to be India Pro on the Windows platform), several "audio only" post pros who used and knew Soundtrack Pro extremely well, Wes Plate who writes the code for Automatic duck, the engineers at Blackmagic, Aurora, AJA etc. who all know their stuff very well, Alan Lorence who writes the code for Particle Illusion, the "plug-in pavilion" where all the owners and writer's of code for Sapphire Effects, Magic Bullet, Digital Anarchy etc. etc. can be found. You really can't get the personal contact with so many pros in such a short time anywhere else. Again this is why you go to NAB.
The "main altar" at Apple was the real waste of time (except for the segment with Walter Murch last year), as it is always someone using the same media and canned presentations over and over with no chance to ask questions. This is why I really hate roadshows as well. They are nothing more than little NAB mainstage presentations, almost always using the same media and worn out examples of features that were shown at NAB, even 9 months after NAB has ended. This is also true for the "webinars" that Adobe puts on throughout the year, where you sit down and see the very same slick NAB demo (and have to suffer through their "beta testing" of Adobe meeting software!) with no real chance to ask any hard questions or have personal feedback.

Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Feb 25, 2008 at 11:26:18 pm

Walter, do you receive any form of compensation, discounted prices or "promotional consideration" etc from any of the companies you recommend here or demo for?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 26, 2008 at 12:33:23 am

[Kris Anderson] "Walter, do you receive any form of compensation, discounted prices or "promotional consideration" etc from any of the companies you recommend here or demo for?"

When you are demo'ing at any trade show or event, you are paid for your time to appear. Obviously I'm giving up payment by not being in my shop on that day or week I'm away.

I pay for all my purchases just like everyone else here does.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Feb 26, 2008 at 12:45:32 am

That's cool. I always ask that when I'm considering shelling out.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 26, 2008 at 12:07:28 am

What you are seeing is large companies like Apple and Avid are noticing that people are spending their time at booths that deal with all of the supplemental programs or devices that we have to use to get the job done.

And, that's what myself and my company does at NAB. We already know about Apple or Avid and what they are offering. The Internet does a really good job at predicting the future - not always correct but at least it gives us a heads up in a direction.

The direction that most are taking with NAB has to do with all of the seminars and teaching sessions. These are very important to us and my company... So, it doesn't matter if Apple or Avid is going to be at NAB. Its a networking experience that we all need to make our jobs more well rounded.

And that's my opinion...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:49:29 am

[Christopher Wright] "You always have to separate the flotsam and jetsom, especially at NAB."

Don't forget to separate the flora and fauna too...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Feb 26, 2008 at 3:31:13 am

I think that happens after the show ;>)

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Feb 26, 2008 at 3:57:08 am

...and the wheat from the chaff.

Mark

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 26, 2008 at 4:30:33 am

...the sheep from the goats.

What happens in vegas....

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Feb 26, 2008 at 9:54:45 am

Where's the European Apple love? We'd like tours too!

-Simmie
3 MacPros - Kona 3 & Kona LH
2 G5s - Kona LH
2 G4s - Cinewave
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS2
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]