FORUMS: list search recent posts

Out Of Memory

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randolph Harrison
Out Of Memory
on Jan 31, 2008 at 3:32:10 am

Hi Guys,

This is probably elementary for those of you who have worked with FCP for a while.

I am cutting a feature on FCP 5.1.4. And I am working with the full cut (85 minutes) as one file. I have working with this size file for the past few weeks. Suddenly tonight it gives me windows stating "out of memory". Is there a way to allocate more memory? Or do I have to work in smaller segments? How will this affect me when I play it out? Or do I increase more ram?

My system:

G5 quad 2.5, 6 gigs ram, sata raid drive w/10 Seagate 500 gigs each. The original media was P2 HD.

Thank you very much.

Randy

Return to posts index

Samah Tokmachi
Re: Out Of Memory
on Jan 31, 2008 at 4:06:52 am

One thing you could try to do is to go through the Disk Utility, and unmount all of your drives, including any internal ones. Actually, specifically any internal ones.

This has helped me a lot in the past with the same issue. That's assuming of course that you actually have enough memory. If you really are low on memory than it's a question of making space by deleting whatever you can. If you have projects that you don't want to delete but don't need all the unused media, use the Media Manager option.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Randolph Harrison
on Jan 31, 2008 at 4:46:44 am

Thank you. I'll give all of your suggestions a try.

Return to posts index

Randolph Harrison
on Jan 31, 2008 at 4:49:53 am

By the way, when you are asking me to delete anything I can... that would just apply to memory for the drives and not ram??? I have plenty of memory on my internal drive (120 gigs) and probably 2.6 terrabyte on my raid drives. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Samah Tokmachi
on Jan 31, 2008 at 5:27:45 am

I would definitely clear out anything that was placing an excessive
strain on your RAM... Try unmounting and remounting your drives
though. Also, it's more of the percentage that's being taken up in
your memory, rather than a simple question of having "enough" GB's
free. I believe you want to leave at least 20% space free on all of
your drives. Could be more though...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 31, 2008 at 5:23:24 am

Randy,

The important issue is not the size of your raid array, but rather how much space you have remaining on it. SATA arrays begin to experience "out of memory" errors when free disk space gets down below the 20 per cent range.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Randolph Harrison
on Jan 31, 2008 at 6:14:12 am

Thanks guys,

David,
My sata is 5 terrabytes, I have 2.65 T available space. My internal drive is at 50%.

Thanks,
Randy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 31, 2008 at 12:36:52 pm

Good, that rules out hard drive space as the issue.

How many timelines do you have open?

BTW, do you have a capture card?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Dave Mehrman
on Jan 31, 2008 at 4:00:43 pm

Randy,

How often do you restart your computer?

One thing i have found with FCP (and this has been on a number of versions) is that it does a poor job of managing your Memory, especially when the project file gets big and you are doing lots of exporting and rendering.

Restarting will clear all the memory usage.

One thing i make a habit of is having the activity monitor (applications -> utilities -> activity monitor) open and the dock icon set to display memory. That way i can see how much RAM is still free and how much is taken up.

I can't tell you how many times all my memory will be taken up (9GB) i will quit all programs, and there still is memory tide up in the system. I restart my computer, the memory is clear and final cut is back to performing well.

DM

Return to posts index

Roberto Serrini
on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:54:12 pm

Solution that worked for me:

Its a strange fix. Change your Audio and Video settings. Try switching where your audio output is going (for instance, when I get the message I switch from my Kona card to internal speaker). Refresh our A/V devices and give it a whirl.

Not sure why it works, but it does.

Serrini
Editor: http://www.nycjump.com
Director: http://www.nystreetfilms.com

Return to posts index

Simon Hilton
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:26:37 am

That works Roberto!

Thank you for solving this annoying problem with a simple method, rather than a ton of questions about set up that don't really help the issue!

Problem solved!

Return to posts index

Mariana Kozak
on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:31:29 pm

Cool, It worked for me also.

I was wondering, is there a preset for how much ram does fcp use? Like in PS5 and other adobe applications...

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]