FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 Log and Transfer Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JustMark
P2 Log and Transfer Problem
on Jan 25, 2008 at 11:14:27 pm

I have imported almost all of my cards into final cut without a problem until I get the the first 5 imports of my day 4 import... then I get this error...

"FOLDER NAME 4_016" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

Is it just being temperamental, or is there actually something wrong with the files. It did it once before on another folder, but it eventually worked.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Mark
Hollywood, CA
http://www.through-the-heart.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: P2 Log and Transfer Problem
on Jan 25, 2008 at 11:44:01 pm

Well, is the file structure messed up? Does the Contents folder have all the sub folders inside? Matching Audio and Video files? Lastclip.txt file intact?

Shane

Littlefrog Post

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

JustMark
on Jan 25, 2008 at 11:47:35 pm

Yeah... everything is there Contents, Lastclip.txt, then inside Clip, ICON, PROXY, VIDEO, Voice. The Proxy and Voice folders are empty... is that right? Otherwise everything looks to be there...

Mark
Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2008 at 12:24:09 am

That's right. Hmmm...put those back onto a card and use the Camera's REPAIR function.

Shane

Littlefrog Post

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

JustMark
on Jan 26, 2008 at 1:35:42 am

OK... I'll try that.

Thanks for the help man!

Cheers

Mark
Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 26, 2008 at 5:14:05 am

That's the same error I was getting in Leopard with the FXFactory installed. I think it was Shane that suggested uninstalling that.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2008 at 6:50:31 pm

Here's the tech doc in case you need it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307062

Return to posts index

sandra vieira
on Feb 23, 2009 at 10:13:48 pm

hi there,

i have a similar problem but with a twist. my client decided to rename the 'content' folder to 'card 1' for example, once she had copied from card to hardrive. this is clearly the reason why i am getting that error message right? it looks like the lastclip.txt files are not intact with the footage either. is this causing it? and if so, how do we fix this? please tell me there is a way...please i have an impending deadline. so if anyone can help...please do.

thanx

sandra vieira
fcp editor
rundontwalk productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 23, 2009 at 11:51:08 pm

Rename all those files CONTENTS, and put then and the appropriate lastclip.txt file into a NEW folder that you can call CARD 1 and so on.

P2 Workflow with FCP 6

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

sandra vieira
on Feb 24, 2009 at 9:01:34 am

hey shane,

i thought as much but now i see that she replaced all the lastclip.txt files and not one of the content folders has the metadata now. now what? can the camera fix this or is there software that can correct this?

sandra vieira
fcp editor
rundontwalk productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:27:35 pm

Ahhh. Well then, since the original P2 file structure has been hosed, you have only three options available to you, and they are all third party. You need to have FCP deal with the MXF files directly, since you cannot get FCP to import them without the proper file structure. For that you need one of these three pieces of software:

MXF4QT - http://mxf4mac.com/
Calibrated - http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/
Raylight - http://dvfilmstore.com/raylight-for-mac.html

Next time...well, BEFORE the next time...you need to educate the shooter and person handling the P2 offload about the proper way to handle P2. Here is a quick workflow tutorial. P2 Workflow with FCP 6. Also, investing in ShotPut P2 (http://www.imagineproducts.com) that will automate the offloading process and keep the structure intact and VERIFY the offload is HIGHLY recommended.

Shane

Return to posts index

sandra vieira
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:34:12 pm

thanx shane,

this helps me a ton! i have explained it to them thoroughly now so hopefully this won't happen again...i hope. thank u for all ur help and links.

my producer found this online too...for situations like this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Open-Raw-Panasonic-Hvx200-Files-Without-the-Text-Fil...

1. Open a text editing program (Examples: Microsoft Notepad, or Apple's TextEdit).
2. Open the CONTENTS folder (from your P2 download). You will see six files.
3. Open the Video folder. Each of your takes is listed.
4. Copy the name of the last clip you shot, example: 0003QR.MXF
5. Paste that name into the first line of your text file, but don't use the .MXF at the end. Example: 0003QR
6. On the second line type: 1.0
7. Count how many clips you have in the video file (Example: 3), add one and type that number on the third line all by itself. Example: 4
8. You're almost done. Your file will look like this: First line: 0003QR, Second line: 1.0, and Third line: 4
9. Now close the file and label it: LASTCLIP.TXT (Your editing program needs that exact name and no other.)
10. Close the VIDEO file. If you have changed the name of the CONTENTS folder, change it back to CONTENTS. (Your editing program needs that name and only that name.)
11. Now create a new folder and label it whatever you want to. Example: WeddingVows
12. Now click and drag the CONTENTS folder and the LASTCLIP.TXT into the new folder you created.
13. Open your editing program (Example: Final Cut Pro)
14. Click on File. Click on Import. Click on Panasonic P2. Find your file (Example: WeddingVows) and Click on it.
15. Click Import All. All of the clips should import into the bins area of your editing program.

[edit] Tips

* If you have relabeled your CONTENTS folders it might be easier just to create a new folder, name it CONTENTS and then drag your six files into it. Then drag your new LASTCLIP.TXT file in next to your CONTENTS folder.
* The two folders: CONTENTS and LASTCLIP.TXT have to be next to each other in a file with no other files in the same folder.

[edit] Warnings

* If even one step is left out it won't work. If it doesn't work, go back and carefully recreate each step. If it still doesn't work, get someone to go over it with you. Sometimes they will notice the one letter stroke that is missing.
* Never throw away your raw files. Copy them and save them on an external hard drive stored in a different building.

sandra vieira
fcp editor
rundontwalk productions

Return to posts index

Leif Maertens
No P2 Plugin in P2 Log and Transfer Preferences
on May 14, 2009 at 10:04:26 pm

Hello,
I'm getting that same error but the one thing I noticed was the missing P2 plugin in the preferences pane of the Log and Transfer window. Is this because I have FCE and Not FCP? Doesn't seem right if so.

I went to a friend who has two macs that can see my files. One was the laptop I used to do the dumps during the shoot. The only difference being the p2 plugin in the source column of the log and transfer preference pane on his macs and it's not on mine.

I just installed FCE yesterday and could not read the files I dumped from the p2 card onto my external drive.

FCE v4.0.1 is what I have on a new Imac just purchased a week ago.

Where do I get this p2 plugin?

Thanks ahead of time

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: No P2 Plugin in P2 Log and Transfer Preferences
on May 14, 2009 at 10:22:07 pm

[Leif Maertens] "I noticed was the missing P2 plugin in the preferences pane of the Log and Transfer window. Is this because I have FCE and Not FCP?"

Correct. FCE does not work with P2 footage, nor DVCPRO HD in any manner, not even from tape. DV, HDV, AVCHD only.

If you want to work with P2 footage, you need to buy Final Cut Pro.

Sorry.

Shane

Return to posts index

Leif Maertens
on May 14, 2009 at 10:41:09 pm

Thank you Shane.
and... Oh $h1T!

Return to posts index

Suzanne Spangler
on Jun 13, 2009 at 9:03:13 am

I am running FCP 6.0.05 and have no P2 import option in my import tab. I tried to import though log and transfer but get the unsupported media or invalid directory structure error message. Is the problem on my end or do I need them to do something with the footage on the card?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 15, 2009 at 5:26:32 am

[Suzanne Spangler] " I tried to import though log and transfer but get the unsupported media or invalid directory structure error message. "

Well, do you have the full directory structure? CONTENTS folder with 6 subfolders? Everything inside those (well, a couple are empty, like PROXIE).

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:24:51 pm

[Suzanne Spangler] "am running FCP 6.0.05 and have no P2 import option in my import tab. "

You need to go to File > Log and transfer.

[Suzanne Spangler] "I tried to import though log and transfer but get the unsupported media or invalid directory structure error message."

Where exactly are you pointing Log and Transfer?

Return to posts index

Abbey Benowitz
on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:56:07 pm

I just have to say, this post saved my bacon. This morning I received a drive with the LASTCLIP.TXT missing and the CONTENTS folders all messed up. This post contained all the info needed to recover all out footage. THANK YOU, Sandra!

Return to posts index

James Haefner
on Feb 16, 2012 at 4:41:13 pm

hi Sandra

thank you your Producer for this so much I was just going through this - Shane got it -- thanks

read through the thread and found this step by step solution and just worked

thanks again to you all who participate in helping and sharing

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:43:21 pm

[sandra vieira] " and not one of the content folders has the metadata now. "

Meaning that in the CLIPS folder doesn't have an XML file?

Return to posts index

sandra vieira
on Feb 24, 2009 at 8:34:51 pm

no i'm referring to the LASTCLIP.TXT file. those were all gone...but i've been able to create them again.

sandra vieira
fcp editor
rundontwalk productions

Return to posts index

kleopatra korai
on Oct 4, 2009 at 8:16:31 pm

what if I miss the LASTCLIP, how can I log and transfer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 6, 2009 at 1:37:10 am

It isn't absolutly necessary. I believe you can import without it.

Shane

Return to posts index

Lena Franford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 5:40:13 pm

I'm having trouble editing my movs. I followed this tutorial up until the point of logging and transferring

when I get to that point i get this message: "2010-06-23 Shawn Pierce " contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media." . Any chance you could help?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 6:39:33 pm

What's inside the folder?

Return to posts index

Lena Franford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:05:54 pm

Two folders:One, DCIM>100EOS7D>MOV and THM files. Two, MISC folder which is empty.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:14:46 pm

Lena. That is the directory structure of something shot with the Canon 7D. You need to install the Canon EOS plugin to import that footage via Log And Transfer.

Shane

Return to posts index

Lena Franford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:37:16 pm

which Canon EOS plugin? there are a few..is it utility version 2.7.1?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:46:24 pm

It's right there in the link I sent. you need the one for "final Cut Pro".

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 1, 2010 at 7:21:43 pm

Those aren't P2 files, but rather Canon HDSLR files. You have to download the free log and transfer plug from Canon and install it.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3249

Return to posts index

Lena Franford
on Jul 1, 2010 at 8:49:57 pm

Thanks you guys. I think it works... I have to run to a shoot, but will be editing in a few hours.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]