FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit To Tape problems, insert 4 or 6 frames late (G5 Quad 2.5 and Decklink Extreme)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geert van den Berg
Edit To Tape problems, insert 4 or 6 frames late (G5 Quad 2.5 and Decklink Extreme)
on Dec 12, 2007 at 11:42:36 am

We have a problem when inserting video (titles) onto DigiBeta (DVW500P) and can't find the fault, is it a setting or a bug?

We have 2 systems having the exact same problem.
-One setup has a G5 quad 2.5 with 2.5 GB RAM with FCP6.01 and Decklink Extreme (drivers installed 6.4).
-The other is a G5 dual 2gHz with 2.5 GB RAM with FCP6.01 and Decklink Extreme (drivers installed 5.2)

What happens is that the insertion has 4 or at this moment it's 6 frames of the first frame repeated, which means the whole insertion is 4 or 6 frame late. The insertion timecodes are spot on and happen at the exact times on the tape. So basically if there'd be a fade of 5 frames at the end of the insertion it will not show up because the whole insertion is late.

The worst thing is, that it changes from one day to another, which can cause problems if the schedule is hectic. At some days the inserts work perfectly.

A workaround is to change the insert tc in the Edit to Tape window 4 or 6 frames early and the IN point marker in the sequence 1 frame early. We also set the OUT point marker in the sequence 4 or 6 frames later.

This workaround is doable with a startleader, but insertions in the middle of the program require us to load a part of the program where the insertion points are without burned in timecode, which we not always do because we are primarly an audio dubbing studio. (When it's a startleader we can just put in some black.)

I have searched on these forums and have found some problems that seemed similar to ours, but no solutions that have helped us. I've read mostly about 1 frame differences when editting to tape with FCP.

We can assume it's not the driver, since both setups have a different decklink driver. I think it might be a setting, but I can't pinpoint which it is.

Geert van den Berg
http://www.wpp.nl

Return to posts index

Post Man
Re: Edit To Tape problems, insert 4 or 6 frames late (G5 Quad 2.5 and Decklink Extreme)
on Dec 13, 2007 at 4:57:24 am

Geert,
What is your 'Playback Offset' set as?

File/Audio&Video Settings; select Device Control Presets tab; find your checked/ticked setting, select Edit

Neil.

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
Re: Edit To Tape problems, insert 4 or 6 frames late (G5 Quad 2.5 and Decklink Extreme)
on Dec 13, 2007 at 8:23:46 am

Hello Neil,

The playback offset in the selected Device Control preset is 00:00:00.

And the Playback Control offset in the System Settings menu is set at 4 (which is a sortof default setting I thought), but that should not have any effect on the Edit to Tape, right? I tried setting it to zero and even higher to no avail.

I have not messed with the Device Control preset yet, as I found it strange that the behaviour of the setup seemed to vary from time to time and I am sure the preset hasn't been altered.

Geert

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Dec 20, 2007 at 9:42:46 pm

Just to let anyone know that if they got the same problem, the solution is indeed the playback offset in the device control tab as Neil pointed out before and also I found the reference in the FCP manual. (page IV-353, this was definately a case of RTFM!)

I had to set it to 00:00:05 to correct the problem.

I am glad it's working now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]