FORUMS: list search recent posts

Freezing/Re-Boot problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Clement
Freezing/Re-Boot problem
on Dec 4, 2007 at 12:57:26 am

Hello,

While editing, FCP freezes at random. The rainbow "wheel of death" continues to rotate. I can't get FCP to force quit and when restarting the blue screen with the circulating wheel continues to rotate. I am then forced to hold down the power button to re-boot.

I repaired/verified permissions and repaired the startup disk (it said no repairs were necessary). The problem continues to persist, although when I cleared all my render files the problem seemed to stop. until I rendered new effects the problem continued.

It would be tedious to clear my render files after every-time I render. Is there a solution to my problem?

I am running a G5, Mac OS X 10.4.11, 2X3 Ghz intel xeon

Thanks for your help,

Nick

http://www.reelescapefilms.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gossen
Re: Freezing/Re-Boot problem
on Dec 4, 2007 at 6:02:30 am

What version of FCP are you using? What codecs are you using? What filters are you using? What are you rendering? Trash preferences? What drive are you rendering to? Is it fast enough for what you are doing?

Michael Gossen

Helium Digital Media

Return to posts index

Nick Clement
on Dec 4, 2007 at 3:38:52 pm

"What version of FCP are you using?" FCP 6.0.2,
"What codecs are you using?"DV NTSC.
"What filters are you using?"I'm not using any filters,
"What are you rendering?" the only thing I am rendering are simple cross dissolves, and "google Fly-ins" some of which are 720X520 30fps MPEG-4 video Which, for now, is the biggest render (maybe this is the problem?)

"Trash preferences?"I have not trashed my preferences, and honestly I've never done that and don't know how?
"What drive are you rendering to?" I am rendering to my scratch disk drive which is an Intel ESB2 AHCI 3 GB, and is separate from my boot drive.
"Is it fast enough for what you are doing?" I would assume so?

Thanks,
Nick

Return to posts index

A.Zander
on Dec 4, 2007 at 7:24:32 am

[Nick Clement] "I am running a G5, Mac OS X 10.4.11, 2X3 Ghz intel xeon "

umm what?

do you mean you are running a mac pro?

Return to posts index

Nick Clement
on Dec 4, 2007 at 3:40:14 pm

excuse me, I was confusing my personal box with my box here at work.

Yes, it is a MAC PRO

Thanks,
Nick

Return to posts index

DAFsr 1
on Dec 4, 2007 at 2:15:58 pm

I've had problems opening FCP for at least 6 months, if not a year. And then sometimes it would quit on me. And my G5 would make me power down. When I upgraded to FCP6 I thought that would solve the problem, but it didn't. And lately it started to get worse. I ran FCP Rescue, repaired permissions, and even started from scratch on a clean HD with the MAC OS and FCP6 installation. But still had problems, sometimes frequent, sometimes not so bad. Most of the time I left my computer on, because the problem usually happened on boot up or opening FCP.

The other day I was surfing the Cow and noticed someone's post about problems with the EXT HD used for media. They said that was causing the problem.

I have a Medea Raid. I backed up everything, erased then, partitioned the Medea again. 2 days with not one problem (knock on wood). Hopefully this will solve my problems.

Maybe this is something you should check.

Good luck.

David

Dual 2.5 G5 {OS 10.4.9}
4.5 GB RAM
FCP2
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
DeckLink SP
ATTO ExpressPCI UL4S
Medea Video Raid RT320
Sony UVW-1800
Pansonic AG-DV2500
Media Cleaner Pro 6
AfterEffects 7
Squeeze 4.2 (PC)
ViewSonic 19" LCD
Optiquest 21" CRT
Bella EZ Keyboard

Return to posts index

Nick Clement
on Dec 4, 2007 at 7:49:49 pm

I am at a lost here, I just got off the phone with apple, they walked me through a number of possible solutions (Reseting the System Management Control, trashing preferences, un-checking "put hard drives to sleep when possible" in Energy Saver) I thought the problem may have been solved but FCP just froze again. (all render files were deleted prior to this, so that doesn't seem to be the problem)

It freezes after I hit the space bar to play an edit.

Another interesting thing is that this has only been a problem since I updated to FCP 6.0.2. Has any one else experienced similar problems with this version?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Nick

Return to posts index

Michael Gossen
on Dec 4, 2007 at 8:03:56 pm

Are you freezing no matter where you play on the timeline or on one clip?

Michael Gossen

Helium Digital Media

Return to posts index

Nick Clement
on Dec 4, 2007 at 8:27:12 pm

no matter where.....it seems to be random

Return to posts index

Nick Clement
on Dec 5, 2007 at 3:18:11 pm

After talking to apple a second time....repairing permissions numerous times they finally had me re-install FCP, and it seems to be working! It hasn't froze on me since.....Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]