FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL's out of FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
parker C
EDL's out of FCP
on Sep 24, 2007 at 5:47:24 pm

The company I work for is thinking of switching from offline avid cutting, to offline FCP cutting.

Right now we offline our commercials on an old Media Composer, using 3/4 reference tapes. Then we online with the corresponding digibeta tapes offsite.

Because 3/4 are giant and horrible looking, we've been trying to persuade them to up date in any way possible. One option they may be looking at is to dub the digibetas to mini DV or DVCAM, and cut it in Final Cut. We would be digitizing with firewire decks and drives.

I've used Final Cut for a few years, but have never produced an EDL out of it for anything to be "onlined." And I seem to remember hearing FCP using firewire wasn't always frame-accurate.

Does anyone use this workflow? Are there any problems/complications we should be aware of? Our stuff is finished on Avid Adrenalines, Discreet systems (Flame) and IQ systems.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: EDL's out of FCP
on Sep 24, 2007 at 5:58:40 pm

If you do go with this workflow, DO NOT CAPTURE VIA FIREWIRE. You are right, that method is NOT frame accurate. Get DVCAM decks with RS-422 deck control and capture cards for your FCP systems. Then you can do this and feel confident with your EDLs.

It will be a little more expensive than just using firewire decks and no capture cards...but then FIXING all the timecode errors caused by that would cost a LOT more...online bay time. No, build a good system. it will still be far cheaper than an Avid, and work just fine.

One way to save money would be to get one capture device to use for all of your systems. The AJA I/O is perfect for this...as it is an external device that connects to the system via firewire. And yes, it is still frame accurate. Or you can get Kona LS cards for each...up to you.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]