FORUMS: list search recent posts

Searching For Media while capturing with Sony FX-7 HDV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcow
seandon01
Searching For Media while capturing with Sony FX-7 HDV
on Aug 17, 2007 at 8:46:17 pm

I hope somebody can help me with this stressful issue.

Im running FCP 5.1.4 on a Mac Pro. Scratch disk is my internal drive. I shot some footage on our Sony FX-7, and am using the camera to capture. I used Easy setup to set FCP to HDV 1080i 60. Now when i attempt to capture "NOW". the footage plays but the dialog says "Searching For Media" and nothing is actually captured. Maybe a second of footage or so.

Im using Sony Premium tapes
Camera settings:
iLink Conversion is set to - OFF
output is set to HDV

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Searching For Media while capturing with Sony FX-7 HDV
on Aug 19, 2007 at 2:21:25 pm

Log the clips first.

Jerry

Return to posts index

MTrubac
on Aug 20, 2007 at 1:29:47 am

Hello,

I have been having trouble with this lately also. I am capturing from a sony FX1. I mark an in and out point in the log and capture window. Say for instance at the beginning of the tape and then the end of the tape... just to bring the whole tape in.

I click capture clip.. and the capture cues and then begins capturing. Occasionally, about half way through the tape, the capture windows displays searching for media but the tape continues to roll and the timecode continues running in the current timecode box. When the tape reaches the end.. I only have about half of the tape.

I have tried marking an in and out point, then clicking to "go to in" or "go to out." The camera will search for the timecode, roll past it, go back, roll past it again, then roll the tape back and put up a message... something like "the timecode could not be found, please make sure the tape is timecoded properly." I can try again and it will find the timecode properly, again and it might not, and then a few more times it might now, and then it will again.. but the timecode always updates properly in the current timecode box of the log and capture window.

I am using FCP 6 and tiger with all of the latest updates on a powermac g5 2.7ghz with 3.5GB ram.

Return to posts index

seandon01
on Aug 20, 2007 at 3:21:52 am

Well it seemed that the problem worked itself out for me. What i did was:

I didnt mark any cue points in FCP capture window. I rewound the tape in the camera. Clicked capture NOW in FCP, then immediately hit the Play button on the camera.. This captured the whole tape (which was my original goal).

Prior to trying this, i would click the play button on the camera first, then click capture NOW, this would produce the searching for media error. I wish i had a final solutoin, but it seems that every time i capture i deal with this problem

Return to posts index

MTrubac
on Aug 20, 2007 at 11:38:04 am

I don't have the problem every time. It will work fine, and then for no apparent reason will act up. I have tried capturing with both of my FX1's, they both have timecode issues, i have tried different tapes, the only thing i haven't tried switching out is the firewire cable. I will try that today... and if it still happens i am thinking it must be a software issue.

Return to posts index

Mike Armstrong
on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:16:27 am

I just had the same problem with FCP 6 capturing from a sony fx 7, clicking on the play button in FCP results in the 'searching for media' error, but pushing play on the camera itself seems to solve the problem.

no reason I can find, just some bizarre glitch that just showed up today.

"Rage against the Dying of the Light"

Return to posts index

Bill Cunningham
on Apr 16, 2010 at 11:39:11 pm

Thanks for posting this. I've been having the same problem capturing from a Sony FX7 to FCP 6. When I try to log and capture, it captures about a second, and then says "Searching for Media." Sometimes it would create half a dozen clips, each 1 second long, but it wouldn't capture the whole tape. I'd tried the "capture now," but I was starting the camera, then clicking on "capture now." It didn't work, but, as you point out, if I click on capture now first, then hit play on the camera, it seems to work. I downloaded four tapes today without a problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]