FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export for Premier? - Help!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcow
Kyle11268o
Export for Premier? - Help!
on Aug 9, 2007 at 10:55:31 pm

Yes, I know this is an oft-ask question. I've done a LOT of searching, and have yet to find any answers I find satisfactory.

In this particular instance, I've been asked to transfer .mxf (p2 card) files - originally from a DXV-200, so they'd be DVCProHD, for those playing along at home - for someone who uses PremierPro, but has not a way to bring those in. After a bit of searching on my part, I suggested Raylight, but apparently it's not especially easy to figure out, and they're in a serious time crunch.

I offered (I'm getting PAID, of course!) to bring the files in via FCP and spit 'em back out as something Premier can use. I'm ideally looking for something doesn't take tons of time and disk space, which doesn't appear to exist without at least one party having expensive plug-ins. Laying and recapturing to tape is also FAR from preferred, because of the amount of clips we're dealing with (they'd all have to be logged to be recaptured, since HD formats don't support scene detection, correct?)

Their final output is to the web, so my main question is this:

What's to stop me from just using an image sequence as the transfer format? Those would have to be pretty universal, right? I'd think that the rendering time I'd save would be well worth the trade of having to lay audio back in on the other system.

Any thoughts or opinions? Is there someone who has dealt with this workflow before, and has some good suggestions? I'm tired of doing trial and error with various QT formats, only to find out that it takes up 4GB for a 30-sec clip....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kyle Hamrick

Editor/Motion Graphics Artist

http://www.kylehamrick.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
rafalaos
Re: Export for Premier? - Help!
on Aug 10, 2007 at 2:54:31 am

Hi Kyle,
make your self a favor and have a look to Sheer.

http://www.bitjazz.com/sheervideo/

I think is what you need. The guy of the premier will need only the free reader.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Kyle11268o
on Aug 10, 2007 at 3:13:17 am

I actually downloaded that the other day (after finally reading the article in CC Magazine), but hadn't had a chance to examine it too fully. Any suggestions on which particular presets to use?

Kyle Hamrick

Return to posts index

cowcow
rafalaos
on Aug 10, 2007 at 3:33:35 am

When you install Sheer you got dozens of Easy set-up for capturing and for set your sequence in FC. However you can set your sequence easily by your self in FC. Just set a DVCPro time-line that fits your footage and in the sequence setting change it to Sheer 8b Unc 422 codec keeping the rest of the setting as for DVCproHD. Don't forget set the "options" in Sheer.
Although DVCProHD is compressed and Sheer not I think that you don't go to get much more bigger files with this codec because the capability to shrink the fil (losseless) is amazing.
i swear I don't get any benefit from the Bitjazz people but I use it since more than two years and I recommend it to everybody.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

cowcow
Kyle11268o
on Aug 10, 2007 at 1:33:04 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I realize now how little I'd actually read that article (Honestly, I more skimmed it before going to bed...)

Anyway, it's looking like Sheer is going to be a great solution. Super-fast, small files, works great. Having a full-function trial period is great too.

Thanks again for the advice!

Kyle Hamrick

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
JeremyG
on Aug 10, 2007 at 2:48:17 pm

[Kyle11268o] "In this particular instance, I've been asked to transfer .mxf (p2 card) files - originally from a DXV-200, so they'd be DVCProHD, for those playing along at home - for someone who uses PremierPro, but has not a way to bring those in. After a bit of searching on my part, I suggested Raylight, but apparently it's not especially easy to figure out, and they're in a serious time crunch."

I think it'd be in their best interest to figure it out, as once you go to another intermediate codec, there's no going back to the original files. Not good if you ever need to restore this project down the road. Now they have to deal with a codec that might not be supported in real time in Premier. Raylight can't be that hard to figure out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

cowcow
Kyle11268o
on Aug 10, 2007 at 3:58:00 pm

Well, I wouldn't think so either, but this instance is a company that's decided to bring their (relatively simple) video needs in-house, but to be handled by someone with basically no video knowledge. They've basically been giving us consulting fees to help give them some pointers, and they - another brilliant move - saddled this poor guy with the job that all needs to be turned around in a couple of days. I offered to convert that footage for them (for a fee, of course) if they couldn't figure it out, since they're in a huge time crunch.

Honestly, if they're willing to pay us to deal with it, I'm happy to oblige, as long as it's worth my trouble... which it now is, with the SheerVideo codecs.

Kyle Hamrick

Return to posts index

cowcow
rafalaos
on Aug 11, 2007 at 1:38:01 am

Hi Kyle,
I had not idea of the existence of Raylight. Being an advice of Jeremy I would listen it. He is one of the people that knows what he talk about.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]