FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratio Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle11268o
Aspect Ratio Issues
on Aug 2, 2007 at 5:07:45 pm

I've got a problem that's been bothering me recently. Since this is potentially both an AE & FCP issue, I'm posting both places in hopes of a response... I'm relatively new to the world of FCP, so there might just be something I'm not doing. Thanks in advance!

I can explain in greater detail if needed, but basically:

My AE Comp is set to the standard DV preset, 720x480, with pixel aspect ratio set at the (also standard) .9.
The preview on my external (SD) monitor looks skinnier than on the computer screen, but this is normal, yes?

When I bring this footage into FCP to finalize it (add finished audio, slate, etc.) the footage looks squashed. My FCP timeline is also set to standard 720x480, .9.

The image size is actually smaller, as well - i.e. the preview area on the screen, when set to 100%, is just under 8 1/2 inches in AE, but it's considerably smaller in FCP. Setting the FCP timeline to square pixels fixes this, and everything looks right... but that doesn't seem right, does it?

I've been able to deal so far, since all the projects this has crept up on have been letterboxed - I can just squeeze it a little in FCP and it looks fine, but the day will obviously come when this isn't an option.

As I said, I'll happily provide more info if needed. I hope someone has a helpful suggestion for me!

Kyle Hamrick

Editor/Motion Graphics Artist

http://www.kylehamrick.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Aspect Ratio Issues
on Aug 2, 2007 at 6:45:32 pm

In which dimension is the picture squashed? Is there an anamorphic switch set incorrectly?

Are you using the Easy Setup for DV-NTSC? That should set everything properly in FCP. Be sure to trash the first sequence that opens after the setup (which has the prior setup's settings) and open a new seq. Then bring in your clip and see what happens.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.2, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]