FORUMS: list search recent posts

Additional Ram for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Piper
Additional Ram for FCP
on Jul 23, 2007 at 4:53:59 pm

Hi all,

An earlier thread discussed adding additinal ram for FCP. I read earlier that FCP can now address 4GB of memory. My VAR also confirmed that, but he also wasn't sure if that applied to the Power Macs, or just the Intel machines.

So I just brought my G5 dual 2.7 up to 8GB from an earlier 4.5GB. System Proflier now indicates a full 8GB. FCP6, running by itself, seems to me much more responsive, loading a project much faster etc.

However, in the System Settings > Memory & Cache tab, with Memory Usage for the application set at 100%, the little box still says only 2560MB, just as before with only 4.5GB or ram.

Any ideas why?

Thanks,

Gary
SaltAire Cinema Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Additional Ram for FCP
on Jul 23, 2007 at 5:12:24 pm

Gary,

I am confused by that as well as the same is true on my G5. I will try to get a definitive answer. Until then, just enjoy your increased responsiveness and faster loading.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

Piper
on Jul 23, 2007 at 6:16:55 pm

I look forward to your response. I was given the memory to try out, but I guess I'll go ahead and purchase it.

Thanks David,

Gary

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Jul 23, 2007 at 6:27:12 pm

FCP 6 doesn't address any more RAM than before. When your VAR said it addressed 4 gigs, he was incorrect. If you add in the OS, the total may be up to 4 gigs.

However... If you run Motion, color, et all at the same time more RAM does help a ton. Especially with Motion.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D

Return to posts index

Piper
on Jul 23, 2007 at 7:06:26 pm

Well, there you go. Thanks for the info Jerry. I do plan to run Color, Motion etc., so I'll stay with my decision to upgrade the ram.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but FCP does really seem more responsive. Maybe the stars are aligned, the tide is in, and the air is full of the right kind of ions. And maybe the voltage isn't lumpy.

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 23, 2007 at 7:22:51 pm

I'm hoping to have definitive information in a few days for both of you...

David Roth Weiss
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

JR-Links
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:20:17 pm

This Apple info doc explains:

"Maximum memory usage in Final Cut Pro is 2.5 GB"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93844

*snip*
"The memory available for allocating in the Memory & Cache tab of the System Settings window includes memory directly used by Final Cut Pro, but the program loads many other frameworks, libraries, and drivers, which may also allocate memory. Although this memory isn't directly allocated by the program itself, the allocation still falls into Final Cut Pro's address space and contributes to the 4 GB limit. Final Cut Pro reserves 1.5 GB of RAM for these frameworks, libraries, and drivers and so only allows a maximum of 2.5 GB to be allocated by the user." *snip*

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 23, 2007 at 8:26:19 pm

[JR-Links] "Although this memory isn't directly allocated by the program itself, the allocation still falls into Final Cut Pro's address space and contributes to the 4 GB limit. Final Cut Pro reserves 1.5 GB of RAM for these frameworks, libraries, and drivers and so only allows a maximum of 2.5 GB to be allocated by the user.""

BINGO!!! Excellent find.

I think we can expect much of this to change when the 64-bit version of FCP arrives, whenever that may be...

David

David Roth Weiss
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Piper
on Jul 23, 2007 at 10:13:50 pm

So, all of that other allocation, along with OS-X, could be why I'm seeing some snappier FCP performance with my increased ram. Thanks for the link to that article. Very helpful.

Gary

Return to posts index

Joseph Colombatto
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:15:39 pm

David,
I'm running a 2x2.93 6-Core with Memory of 64 GB and recently experience a "out of Memory" issue
with a recent very complex (multi filtered and layered and AE constructed media) sequence.
I renamed the sequence, closed down AE, took all the unneeded files our of the bins, and eliminated
unneeded sequences.
And subsequently experience no other memory issues.
But you suggest that FCP may have an upgrade which will utilize more of your CPU's available ram.
Do you see this upgrade being a "Software Update" I could add to my present application
(FCP 7) or do you see this as an entirely new FCP app and template.
I love 7, and have heard all the horror stories about 10.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]