FORUMS: list search recent posts

macbook pro vs desktop advice please

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark palmos
macbook pro vs desktop advice please
on Jun 27, 2007 at 7:19:38 am

Hello all,

My work situation is chaning, there may be an opportunity to do a lot of work from home. I can either have an 8 core beast and AJA or a macbook and IO hd.

From first hand experience, what is the macbook like to do real editing on? I mean, is it very sluggish doing multiple layered stuff? I like the idea of it, but am scared i am being seduced by idea and not being practical.

Does macbook work as a professional editor's main system. I do mostly 3-4 minute promotional pieces with multiple layers, photoshop graphics and a few flashy effects etc.

Thanks for any advice, comments etc,
Mark.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
Re: macbook pro vs desktop advice please
on Jun 27, 2007 at 8:08:39 am

Mark,

We've been testing out a brand new macbook pro here for the last week or so. It is a fantastic computer, especially with the full hd resolution screen, but if you are talking about a machine as your main editing computer, then I would suggest going with the 8 core tower. The only reason I would say go with the macbook pro is if you need a portable system all of the time. But if you are going to be doing the bulk of your work at home, then I think you will be better off with the tower. For sure there are many factors to weigh, but the tower will give you more options. You'll have better storage options, monitoring options, more real-time tracks and effects, just to name a few. At the moment our G5 quad still outperforms the new intel macbook pro. We'll be doing some more testing next week with some more ram and external esata storage, but if you are talking about a main edit system, go with the tower. The macbook pro is a great solution to have on the road and during shoots, but I would not want to use it as my main system. Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

jeremy

Return to posts index

mark palmos
on Jun 27, 2007 at 9:26:37 am

Hi there Jeremy,

Yeah, its a difficult one, some projects may begin at work and I will finish them off at home... but then i guess a usb drive could be the only transportable item... but then again, I spend two hours on the train per day, so would love to be able to use that time. Perhaps that can be a second computer, replace my PC laptop at xmas!

Thanks
Mark.

Return to posts index

Paul
by
on Jun 27, 2007 at 12:52:13 pm

I've been using the 17" MBP for over a week now as my main edit system and it works beautifully! I run a Wiebetech SATA expresscard with a pair of Gtech Q drives. It's all good! I've been mainly working in DV NTSC, but have tested 8bit uncompressed and have had no issues.

Cheers,
Paul

Return to posts index

becker
on Jun 27, 2007 at 3:30:37 pm

My mbp 17 works fine as a full editing system I think...

But then again:

I do journalism and there i am used to working with laptop only...

I cannot compare the two, but I have never felt the mbp is underpowered....for my type of work, mostly sd, but HD more and more.

When the IOHD comes i will add that one...

My setup in the field:

mbp17
G-raid2
Panasonic hvx-200

*** Norwegian videojournalist & Editor***

Return to posts index

editguy
on Jun 27, 2007 at 9:19:57 pm

I agree with Jeremy, if you are only going to get one system now, start with a Tower, much more flexibility and longevity. The MacBook Pro is a beast! especially the 17" with the HD resolution monitor, but, if you can get the MBP for Christmas, start your set up with a tower.

best of luck,

editguy

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jun 27, 2007 at 9:45:33 pm

Thank you all for your comments.

I love the idea of the macbook, but practical wisdom points to the tower - and then the macbook for xmas!

Cheers all,
Mark.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]