FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCS2 arrives Monday....workflow question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lightning ad
FCS2 arrives Monday....workflow question
on Jun 2, 2007 at 2:46:10 pm

My upgrade should arrive monday, and having read many posts about the new prores codec wondered if i should be looking to make changes to how i work.

Currently, i work in Standard def 10 bit uncompressed Pal. I do all my edits and colour corrections in this format. My drives are fibre channel Xserve, and i'm running on a G5 Quad.

As i will be continuing in the SD realm for the foreseeable, is there any reason to use the new codec when sending files to Color?

Will using ProRes allow me more realtime unrendered streams?

And does the promise of different formats in the timeline mean i can use Animation files (with alphas) over the top of 10bit uncompressed without having to constantly keep re-rendering?

Monday is looking to be a day of discovery!

adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCS2 arrives Monday....workflow question
on Jun 2, 2007 at 3:49:54 pm

Adam,

As per ProRes 422 SD, I downconverted approximately 1-minute of DVCProHD to both SD ProRes 422 HQ and to SD 10-bit uncompressed as a test. The 10-bit uncompressed file size was 4.7gb -- the ProRes 422 file was just 894mb. So, there is no doubt that you would be able to see a substancial increase in RT performance using ProRes 422 SD vs. 10-bit uncompressed.

As for composites using sequential animation files, FCP 6 multi-format capability hasn't changed much there. RT performance is dependent on several factors, most important being the amount of free RAM. Keep in mind that FCP is now capable of using just 2.5gb of RAM, so, if you load a large bunch of sequential TGA files that pushes the limits of your free RAM, you will probably see that some of the files show up a green render line and are playable in realtime, while others will have red render line and need to be rendered just to be seen. In theory this will all be changing in the fuure when everything runs at 64-bit.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 2, 2007 at 8:23:52 pm

He never meantioned sequential tga files, but to answer the animation question, animation always required rendering so I would assume it still does. Mixing formats wouldn't change their real time status, but if you had for example a real time high def an a real time sd mixed with a real time DV, you'd be able to play them all real time in the timeline. Previously 2 of the 3 would have to be rendered. Whichever ones didn't match the sequence settings.

Return to posts index

editguy
on Jun 2, 2007 at 4:07:08 pm

Please let us know what you find out, we are all in the same discovery.

thanks,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]