FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio 2 Install

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
editguy
Final Cut Studio 2 Install
on May 23, 2007 at 3:02:03 pm

We are getting our Final Cut Studio 2 tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 Install
on May 23, 2007 at 4:59:56 pm

When you install FCS 2, it will overwrite version FCS 1. Apple does not recommend having more than 1 version of FCP on the same boot system. That is why it is recommended to clone your system HD before you install.

Up until Final Cut Studio, it was possible to have multiple versions of FCP on the same system and work without conflicts. Before upgrading, you would rename your Final Cut Pro Application. I still have version 1, 2, and 3 on my G4 400 and my G4 Dual Gig I have 3.04, 4.5 and 5.04. Both those systems are retired.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Director-At-Large
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 23, 2007 at 5:05:06 pm

The answer is simple:

1. clone your existing system drive to an inexpensive firewire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (free software).

2. test the clone to make certain it boots

3. put the clone away for safe keeping

4. install FCS2 to your system drive over your existing version and take a test drive.
a) if everything works as you like it and as its supposed to, you're all good.
b) if its not perfect, erase your system drive and rebuild from scratch i.e. OS, then FCS2 and other apps.

Meanwhile, your clone allows you to go back to 5.x.x if your want and to know that you have not lost a single file.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

editguy
on May 25, 2007 at 2:48:51 am

Thanks for the info. I'll be installing tomorrow.

Return to posts index

drazen
on May 25, 2007 at 4:41:57 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the same situation will be installing FCS 2 in a couple of days, and I have final cut studio 5.1.4. installed in hd system. I just want to make sure I understood coorectly your info so I will revise a couple of stuff:

1. When you install FCS 2, it will overwrite version FCS 1.

Does this mean that I don

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 25, 2007 at 5:07:28 pm

I'm installing this very minute, doing so right over FCS1 without uninstalling, but with my clone tucked away for safe keeping.

In theory, you can install right over the top -- its certainly worthy of a try if you have other apps installed on your computer.

If its not up to snuff and you want to start over from scratch, just boot from your clone, use Disk Utility to erase your system drive, and install the OS from scratch. Then install FCS2.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

akemler
on May 27, 2007 at 3:00:14 am

some questions from a nervous amateur:
regarding the clone, what if I have software on my computer that I no longer have the disks or serials for? If I have to erase the HD and rebuild, will I be able to just copy the applications from the clone?
how do you test to see if the clone will boot up?
If I have to reinsall OSX, it will be an older version (obviously); will I be able to go to software updates to get it updated.
For the clone, is it ok to use a large firewire HD that will have other media on it?

thanks
andy

Return to posts index

akemler
on May 30, 2007 at 8:17:33 pm

c'mon it wasnt that stupid a question..someone? anyone?

thanks
andy

Return to posts index

editguy
on Jun 2, 2007 at 3:56:47 pm

I did a Carbon Copy of my HD and then proceed to install FCP Studio 2, everything went well, I installed on top of FCP Studio 1, and it just erased previous versions and installed only what it needed to.

So far is Good (knock on wood).

Return to posts index

editguy
on Jun 2, 2007 at 3:58:26 pm

Sorry, previous post was for Drazen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]