FORUMS: list search recent posts

The role of underscores in naming conventions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Lyons
The role of underscores in naming conventions
on Apr 26, 2007 at 5:48:18 pm

I'm curious to know other's understanding of file naming conventions nowdays. Some people (despite almost always working on Macs) insist on using underscores in file names rather than using spaces. Purportedly this improves compatibility with Windows. However, it's my understanding that ever since Windows 93 (!) underscores have not been needed. Plus I haven't experienced a problem with this for perhaps a decade. The only place where I find it is of consequence is when you're embeding in html pages.

What's the scoop?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: The role of underscores in naming conventions
on Apr 26, 2007 at 6:23:17 pm

[Doug Lyons] "The only place where I find it is of consequence is when you're embeding in html pages."

thats_why_I_still_have_that_habit__dont_know_what_difference_it_makes_now_a_days__

__jeremy__

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:27:07 pm

It's gotten so bad for me lately that when I have a conversation with people I say "underscore" between each word. If you think breaking the underscore habit is hard to break with filenames it's an even harder habit to break in real life.

Seriously though, the only time I use the underscore is when Apple uses it first e.g naming conventions within DVDSP when you're saving a disc image. I figure if Apple is using the underscore such as "Untitled_DVD.img" prehaps there's a good reason, so I just follow suit.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:19:33 pm

For the most part good naming conventions are no longer quite as important as they once were, primarily because most of us don't online our projects in expensive linear online bays these days. The underscore thing is no longer required unless you're coding or creating databasees that are mission critical. However, because the requirements are more relaxed, many editors have never bothered to learn proper file naming conventions and reel numbering, which can create big issues with Media Manager and onlining.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Apr 26, 2007 at 7:28:53 pm

Doug

Check_out_the_following_website_on_the_rules_of_proper_naming_conventions_etc.

http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/

Tony_Salgado

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Apr 26, 2007 at 10:19:05 pm

If you put something on a web site or FTP site, it should not have spaces in it. Otherwise if you want to email someone a link, you have to put "%1" or something like that for wherever there is a space.

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:52:20 am

Don't///slash///or\back\slash\though.

-------------------------
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:52:29 am

Don't///slash///or\back\slash\though.

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:53:40 am

or post twice!!!

Return to posts index

Patrick Inhofer
on Apr 27, 2007 at 12:06:29 pm

[Doug Lyons] "The only place where I find it is of consequence is when you're embeding in html pages."

If you're working at VFX facility or in a pipeline where shots are moved between facilities, then underscores are required and spaces will get you a reprimand. There's lots of UNIX being used in those shops, many with custom software. The use of non-alphanumeric characters can bring those apps down and can also throw a wrench when setting up batch scripts.

The habits of those working in the high-end tend to work their way down to the rest of us.

HTH

- pi

Patrick Inhofer

Finisher-in-Chief

Fini, nyc

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Apr 27, 2007 at 7:34:57 pm

Here's some things to avoid I picked up somewhere, if you want to be absolutely clean:

Avoid
File separators : (colon)
/ (forward-slash)
(backward-slash)
You cannot use colons (:) in the names of files and folders because Mac OS 9 (Classic) uses this character to separate directories in pathnames. In addition, some applications may not allow you to use slashes (/) in the names of items.
These characters are directory separators for Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, and DOS (Windows)
respectively.
Special characters not included in your native alphabet
? ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]