FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uhhhh. no new DVDStudio Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thrangster
Uhhhh. no new DVDStudio Pro?
on Apr 16, 2007 at 2:03:33 am

I know Apple thinks we no longer need DVDs and will all stream to AppleTV....

However....

I'm not seeing ANY announcement about upgrades to DVD Studio Pro? No full fledged HD-DVD and Blu Ray authoring support??? Anyone else find this curious?

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
Re: Uhhhh. no new DVDStudio Pro?
on Apr 16, 2007 at 2:15:52 am

Not really. Not since the new Tower was announced without either of them in there. I think Apple is happy to wait this one out for a while, especially if they can get the AppleTV in everyone's living rooms.

I've done tests on it and the AppleTV codec is great. If they add just a few more features (loop video track for one), it will be a very hot device. You will see about 100 of them at tradeshows hooked up to Plasma screens in every booth and in the lobby's of many companies. Shoot, I'll buy one for the client if they do their project in HD. At $299, it would be easy to justify this expense. BUT, we're a few tricks away still. Hopefully in 1.5! :-)

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Apr 16, 2007 at 2:19:16 am

Kevin - You are ight on about the video looping. Hopefully someone at Apple is listening, as I've already mentioned this to a few of them. I would have already bought 2 for clients, but without the looping, it is a no-go for tradeshow and in-store video.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Apr 16, 2007 at 2:36:31 am

Yes, I do find it odd that there was no update to DVDSP. My clients are starting to ask for HD on DVD. I guess I'll have to use toast!

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Apr 16, 2007 at 2:41:14 am

Dave,

If they are asking for HD DVD, rather than Blu-ray, you can do that now in DVD Studio Pro, by burning to a regular DVD-R disc. It will play fine on a HD DVD player. If you need Blu-ray though, then you're stuck with Toast for the time being.

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Apr 16, 2007 at 2:51:33 am

Do you mean that you can author a HD DVD in DVDSP 4, then burn it to a regular DVD-R and play it on a set-top HD DVD player and see the video in HD (1080i, for instance)? How long a program will fit onto a regular DVD-R? Also, are there any HD DVD players that have a control port so that they can be synchronized?

ALFRED GUZZETTI

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:17:36 am

[Alfred Guzzetti] "Do you mean that you can author a HD DVD in DVDSP 4, then burn it to a regular DVD-R and play it on a set-top HD DVD player and see the video in HD ("

Yes, if your movie file is small enough to fit on the DVD-R disc. Learned that right here on the Cow a few weeks ago. DVD Studio Pro 4 supports the HD-DVD format as that is the format Apple is currently behind.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:24:13 am

When did they switch? They had been backing Blue Ray for a couple of years.

[walter biscardi] "DVD Studio Pro 4 supports the HD-DVD format as that is the format Apple is currently behind."

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:30:47 am

DVD SP 4 has always had the ability to create HD-DVD's However I have heard that they will only play on Toshiba HD DVD players and that the menus will not work. This could be fixed with the updated DVD SP 4 announced today.

The Motion Integration looks Cool.

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:36:01 am

zrb,

The menus I created worked just fine. I just used a couple of the templates that Apple includes in DVDSP 4.

I think you are correct that it may not be able to use the full functionality of the HD DVD spec, but I'm not postitive that all the players support it yet either. I know there was a story out last week that said the current Blu-ray players don't support the full interactivity spec.

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:40:01 am

[Rob Chinn] "The menus I created worked just fine. I just used a couple of the templates that Apple includes in DVDSP 4."

Thats good to know I, it was only what I heard, perhaps it was the last update of DVD SP that improved it.

Return to posts index

Zak Mussig
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:30:59 am

Walter,

Apple supports Blu Ray... not HD-DVD. Check the websites for each if you like. The Apple logo is among all the other members in the Blu-ray site, and definitely NOT on the HD-DVD site.

DVDSP 4 "supports" HD-DVD not because of any certain loyalty to the format, but because Macs already have red laser burners in them. It'll let you write HD content to a disc, but it doesn't support the advanced interactive features of the spec.

Apparently HD optical isn't "for the masses" yet in the same way that high-end color correction and 3D compositing are. That or they had too many balls in the air and they want to see which format will win (or if their own distrubution model can make both irrelevant before they penetrate the market in any real way.

I would like to see Apple create (and release as an open standard w/ no licensing) a new format w/ all of the interactivity of a DVD, or blu-ray, but in a simple self-contained downloadable file. Like a DVD for your Apple TV. The open standard would be to increase adoption speed... worked for firewire.

Zak

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:36:34 am

[Zak Mussig] "Apple supports Blu Ray... not HD-DVD. Check the websites for each if you like. The Apple logo is among all the other members in the Blu-ray site, and definitely NOT on the HD-DVD site."

Interesting, I was always under the impression they were on the HD-DVD side since that's the only format DVD SP supports. Weird.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Zak Mussig
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:46:27 am

Apple will be on the winning side... just not necessarily when the death blow is dealt to the other format. You support what sells, so "Optical Disc Studio Pro 1.0" (what do you call it when DVDs are dead?) may support both formats, or just whoever wins by the time they really get into development.
What will be interesting is to see what, if anything, Apple can do to bring the interactive features (javascript support on HD-DVD and Java on Blu-ray) to video editors and content creators without a programming background.

Zak

Return to posts index

supervideo
on Apr 16, 2007 at 6:45:46 am

you can not author a HD disc in DVD studio 4 ,,,As far as menus go .
You can only make HD video straight play .

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Apr 16, 2007 at 1:14:24 pm

supervideo,

Not true. I was able to use one of the templates built into DVDSP, with buttons for 3 different tracks. On insert into a Toshiba HD DVD player, an animation played leading into the menu. Each button in the menu contained motion video as well. I was able to navigate between the three buttons using the remote, and select any of the three. No problems.

That said, I did not try multiple menus, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I will be doing one in a few weeks, so I will let you know.

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:32:34 am

Alfred,

Walter answered the "Yes" part for you. I'm not sure yet how much you can squeeze on there. It's going to depend on the amount of compression you use. Compressor currently has 3 presets for encoding for HD DVD - 2 of them are H.264 based, while the other is MPEG-2 based, they are all at different bitrates.

I created a HD DVD a couple weeks ago to try it out. I just used a minute of footage, but everything worked great. I made one disc for 1080, and one for 720. Both ended up looking great on the 52" Samsung 1080p LCD we were testing them on. I will tell you not to bother using the H.264, 6.75 Mbps encoder though - it was junk. I'm planning to do more tests soon using a dual layer DVD-R disc, which should allow you to get more content, but I'm not positive if the HD DVD players will support it yet - hence the reason I'm testing.

As for your question about having a control port for syncing - I doubt they do. I didn't specifically check, but I would be willing to bet they don't.

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Apr 16, 2007 at 12:15:23 pm

Robb,

Many thanks for this helpful info. I need to fit 25-30 minutes on a disk and to have a simple menu with a single play command so that the program can be started by hitting "play" on the remote. I'll be very curious to hear if these things are possible with a level of compression that makes the image look good.

ALFRED

Return to posts index

Rob Chinn
on Apr 16, 2007 at 1:20:42 pm

Alfred,

No problem. The amount you can squeeze onto a DVD will vary greatly, depending on your video and the compression you choose. I'd recommend you play around with it. Compressor makes it easy to create a number of different MPEG or H.264 all at once.

There is probably a sweet spot between the 10.5 Mbps H.264 codec and the 19.0 Mbps MPEG-2 codec, for getting the most nice looking video onto a DVD. I've only used the presets so far, so I can't answer that for sure.

Return to posts index

civdiv
on Apr 18, 2007 at 6:46:52 pm

Rob

Can you tell me do all Toshiba's HD-DVD models playback HD-DVD(h.264) from DVD-R disc, which model are you using?

Exited to hear Toshiba plays H.264! Been using other players that support DIVX(HD) or WMV-9(HD) but it's takes me out of the Apple post path to produce discs. Would like to switch to Toshiba but the client can not afford the HD-XA2 in the numbers needed. Any other boxes h.264 capable that you are aware of, either from HD-DVD formatted or just files off DVD-R discs?

Also, what have your tests shown about the upper limits of data rate put on DVD-R? I have been leery of exceeding 14Mbs, even with the best Taio Yuden disc. Thanks - Matt

Return to posts index

Michael De Lazzer
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:22:56 am

On the web site it would appear that it's the least upgraded product. There's some new integration upgrades with Motion, and new templates. There looks to be a better interface as well.. but you're right, nothing else new.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 16, 2007 at 3:26:35 am

[Michael De Lazzer] "On the web site it would appear that it's the least upgraded product. There's some new integration upgrades with Motion, and new templates. There looks to be a better interface as well.. but you're right, nothing else new."

It is and Apple even said as much at the presentation. They put a LOT of effort and emphasis on media management (Final Cut Server), FCP 6, Compressor and Motion. I think the HD DVD Format War made Apple a bit tentative in going all out with DVD SP and they are correct that it is a very solid app as it is now. Could use some tweaking but nearly as much as FCP needed.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]