FORUMS: list search recent posts

credits on end of movie best way?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jujuelliotcredits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 1:06:41 am

im finishing a film project and we need credts at the end of it.. whats the best way of going by doing this? any templates or anything?

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 4:00:23 am

Just a funny story here: I was on a film fest panel once and saw a short which had only one actor, a teen-aged boy who gradually became aware of some horror in the apartment just above his own.

There was a tracking shot of the boy walking down the hall, and something about the uneven pace of the camera made me realize that the camera must have been sitting in a wagon which was tied to the boy's ankle, which was just out of frame.

It was actually a pretty well-made movie, but I was not at all surprised when the credits came up... and they read:

David Smith
Did
EVERYTHING

(David Smith is a made-up name -- I wish I could remember the real one because he's probably a big director now. Does anybody recognize this film?)

About credits: If yours is an esthetic question, then just look at some films you admire and pick a style.

If you're wondering whether to scroll the credits or just dissolve from one page to another, the latter is easier. If you scroll you run into various technical issues. Do a search on the COW about scrolling text -- there's lots of advice about that.

Return to posts index

Winston A. CelyRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 11:41:43 am

That has to be the best end credits ever!

Return to posts index

Bob RobertsRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 7:44:35 am

For rolling credits, I usually type everything out in Illustrator and animate one long vertical movement in After Effects (...with a tiny [.15-.25] Gaussian blur to soften the text).

Return to posts index

rcPicsRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 8:06:01 am

There's also a 'flicker-filter' setting in After Effects which can add a slight blur to help. I've found it very useful for any type of moving text, especially when making a progressive clip. 0.2 max is plenty.

Return to posts index

rafalaosRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 8:43:44 am

But if you do it in FC, use the Boris Title 3D.
rafael

Return to posts index

Tom WolskyRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 12:33:49 pm

I think rafalos means Title Crawl, with the animation type set to roll.

All the best,

Tom

Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop" Class on Demand "Complete Training for FCP5" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy" DVDs

Return to posts index

rafalaosRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 3:05:07 pm

Tom,
I wanted to say that for static and animated titles (I haven't rried jet the Boris Text Crawl) Boris is the best option.
By the way in RIpple Training there is a tutorial about how to make a two-columns title crawl. Very easy and elegant:
"Creating scrolling titles in Final Cut Pro" (Creating Scrolling Text "Gutters" in Final Cut Pro). By Estelle MacDonald.
Cheers,
Rafael

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 2:37:56 pm

I did make a template credit roll. The truth is that if you want sharp titles, there are only 2 speeds you can roll at. If you want them readable, only one.

I made a fcp template awhile back with a photoshop file and a fcp project. Just change the text in the ps file and bingo you have a perfect credit roll in the fcp project.

http://bretwilliams.com/cowstuff/croll.zip

Return to posts index

bogiesanRe: credits on end of movie best way?
by on Apr 6, 2007 at 6:37:51 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Title-Design-Essentials-Film-Video/dp/0321445767?ie=U...

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]