FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HVR V1U

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
osideoz
Sony HVR V1U
on Feb 7, 2007 at 4:56:00 pm

I have a huge question. I just recently purchased the Sony HVR V1U and have been pouring over blogs trying to figure out what the best NLE platform is. I don't hear any mention of using Avid and a lot of negative things about using FCP with the Sony, which then leaves me to Vegas, but is Vegas really the best option? Is it ok to use FCP, the NLE that I would prefer using. I know this a very general question, but if you could steer me in the right direction it would be more than helpful.

Thank you for your time

Return to posts index

grafxflow
Re: Sony HVR V1U
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:06:53 pm

Hi,

I'm currently using a Sony HVR-A1E in Final Cut Pro and have had no problems. I would suggest still capturing on firewire even for HD.

regards
grafxflow

grafx that flow!

Return to posts index

videomansf
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:10:15 pm

I use the sony z1u with fcp without any problems and I would expect the new cam to be the same. Simple firewire in and edit in HDV, or transcode live on capture to the apple intermediate codec. Also the advanced 24p functions of that camera should work fine in a 24p timeline if your interested. I see no problems with you, your cam, and fcp.

VMSF

Return to posts index

Mark brinster
on Feb 7, 2007 at 10:46:43 pm

I have been very impressed with the V1 over both the FX and Z1 and the work flow with FCP has been very easy. I am curious about the "negative" comments you mention. Could you give a link to some of the complaints?

Best

Return to posts index

derek woods
on Feb 8, 2007 at 12:29:20 am

actually mark, i would like to hear how you arer doing with the camera-all the reviews were months before the release, and i haven't found any articles since its consumer release. i wouls love to hear some comparisons to what you used to shoot on, pic quality, real world shooting, etc. How are the light levels?

http://www.DWIProductions.com

Return to posts index

seagod
on Feb 18, 2007 at 12:25:20 am

I am new to the whole schabang of Digital video and need a little guidance - just bought Sony v1u and a new Mac pro with FCP. I have spent hours pouring over the blogs to figure out how to get a 30 sec test shot captured.

In FCP have done Easy Set up and chosen HDV - Apple Intermed Codec 1080i60 - on v1u I have tested both 24p scan A and 30 and I still can not seem to capture correctly. I know this is a moron question, but if someone would oblige, I would appreciate it and the video gods with repay you with creative karma.

thx

Return to posts index

Dominick Noval
on Feb 28, 2008 at 7:11:42 pm

I purchased a V1U at it's release last spring. I spent a month in Europe shooting footage over the summer. I work on a MacPro Quad 2.66 and run Final Cut Studio 2. I have been working in Final Cut since 2004 and haven't been exposed to any other NLE system. With the V1U you have several options as far as capturing into Final Cut as determined by your workflow. If you want the best picture the V1 can offer, 1920x1200, you need to look into a HDMI interface card. I have the Intensity card witch offers dual HDMI ports. 1 in and 1 out. You can run HDMI directly from the camera into the card. In addition the preview out works great on a 52" SONY XBR 1080p HDTV. Capturing through HDMI limits you to the capture now option. A good codec is the Apple ProRes 422. You'll need the hard drive space on a fast second drive. A good option is to combine 3 internal SATA drives. Set 2 up as a striped RAID as your media drive, and leave the 3rd for project file data. This keeps your system OS on a separate drive.

The second option is to capture HDV at a resolution of 1440x1080. The footage will still look good on a large HDTV, but you do lose some data during the compression. All you need for this is a Firewire cable. Since your timecode is sent in the signal, you can now batch capture. Start a batch capture and FCP will capture independent clips for each clip on the tape. This is a good option if you need to capture a lot of footage. Capturing in the native HDV 1080i codec is good if you simply need to make basic edits, with few effects. Read up on some of the other codec options.

Final option is to compress the signal into a smaller format via camera options. You can select to export an SD signal if need be. I don't know why you would.

Anything else?

-Dominick Noval
Ntense Productions
http://dominicknoval.home.comcast.net
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Return to posts index

Marc Lindeman
on Apr 2, 2008 at 9:07:00 pm

Print to device from Final Cut Pro.

Is there anyone who can help in this department.

I don't own a deck and want to transfer my movie from Final Cut Studio Pro 2 to my Sony HVR V1U and I can't figure out how to do this. Anyone?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]