FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSR-11.... will it work for me?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike_W
DSR-11.... will it work for me?
on Feb 7, 2007 at 4:38:18 pm

Hi,

Running Final Cut Studio 5.1.2 and looking to buy a DSR-11. Noticed a selection of threads regarding compatability and the number firewire-connected devices, etc. etc. Please could someone give me a 'yes' or a 'no' as to whether a DSR-11 is going to function OK on my system?

Running FCP 5.1.2 on a 20" iMac (two firewire 400 ports). No other devices connected via firewire, but several USB 2.0 ports in use (some via a hub), including up to three external hard drives at once. Based in the UK, so if PAL/NTSC is an issue, I'm in the PAL world.

Any help appreciated as I'm about to part with my hard-earned cash........

Thanks.

Return to posts index

grafxflow
Re: DSR-11.... will it work for me?
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:11:21 pm

Hi,

What's the processing power of your imac? And do you intend to capture footage to your built in harddrive or the external ones?

grafxflow

grafx that flow!

Return to posts index

Mike_W
on Feb 7, 2007 at 6:09:25 pm

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1 GB RAM

I intend to use the external drives for media storage. Have had no problems with them so far and I've been using them with FCP for a good three months now.

Thanks to all who have replied, I'm greatly encouraged.

Return to posts index

grafxflow
on Feb 7, 2007 at 9:27:53 pm

Hi,

Your machine should be fine, but I do suggest being careful what format you wish to catch in. DV PAL should be good enough. It all depends on what you wish to output it on i.e. DVD. With DVD PAL your machine has less to process while capturing.

grafxflow

grafx that flow!

Return to posts index

videomansf
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:13:54 pm

The main problem is with using any Firewire deck and another device (hard drive, audio in out box, camera) at the same time. If your only connecting the deck to the mac over fire wire there should be no problems.

VMSF

Return to posts index

videomansf
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:14:41 pm

PS USB drives should all be fine.
VMSF

Return to posts index

SimonT
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:20:50 pm

I'm using DSR 11 in PAL land ( well Scotland!) and no problems on G5 FCP v5.1.2
Should work OK on iMac too.
USB drives may cause you headaches if you use them as media drives but thats another story and nothign to do with Firewire decks.

Simon

Return to posts index

Mike_W
on Feb 7, 2007 at 6:14:59 pm

Simon,

I thought I may have problems with the external drives as well, but so far (3 months) all has been performing very well. Been using the drives to store my captured footage from other sources and I've been pleasantly surprised.

Hope you're not snowed in up there. I'm in London and we're expected to get it tonight. Probably find there'll be less than an inch of snow and the whole city will be in chaos. Thankfully I'm working from home.....

Mike

Return to posts index

projektor
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:45:05 pm

I use these machines extensively and the only two major problems I've experienced in the last year is a)occasional sync problems during capture (off a miniDV) and b)very poor workmanship of the plastic faceplate - it breaks off easily and costs over $100 to replace.

cheers,
p.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]