FORUMS: list search recent posts

16x9 footage craziness, argh!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
projektor
16x9 footage craziness, argh!
on Feb 7, 2007 at 2:43:22 pm

Hi All,

Perhaps I am losing my mind but I hope you can help me out before I go bonkers :)

I'm editing 16x9 DV footage in FCP - captured as anamorphic - I checked the captured files and the aspect ratio is OK. I failed to setup my sequence as Anamorphic, however, though all preview footage looked as FCP letterboxed it and displayed in 4x3. Now as I have changed all settings to Anamorphic, FCP refuses to display the footage in 16x9 - the letterbox is still there and video obviously looks squished.

I'll appreciate any suggestions as to how I could fix it without manually resising the entire sequence and rendering it.

Thanks,
p.

Return to posts index

videomansf
Re: 16x9 footage craziness, argh!
on Feb 7, 2007 at 4:20:49 pm

Depending on how many clips you have this might take a while. You need to double click on every clip on the timeline one by one and in the viewer go to motion tab, then down to distort, aspect ratio. You should see that its set to something like 33.3. Set this value to 0 and all should be good.

VMSF

Return to posts index

grafxflow
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:23:58 pm

Hi,

Don't know if it would be easier to create a new sequence with anamorphic set and drag the other sequence inside and stretch it. Again it depends on how many clips are in your sequence.

regards
grafxflow

grafx that flow!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:26:12 pm

P.,

The FCP manual clearly states that changes to the sequence settings applied after there is footage in the sequence will not apply. In the future, you should open a new sequence, change the seq. settings, then paste the material from the seq. with the wrong settings into the one with the proper settings.

DRW

Return to posts index

projektor
on Feb 7, 2007 at 5:41:19 pm

Thanks for all your help. It looks like I will have to stretch and render the entire sequence. I still cannot understand, however, why FCP would not treat anamorphic clips as such when changing an existing sequence's settings - weird shortcoming in my opinion.

peace,
p.

Return to posts index

Cofe
by
on Feb 7, 2007 at 8:31:40 pm

you can also change the first clips distort setting as videomansf suggested - copy - select all other clips in your seq. and paste attributes with only distort selected in the 'what to paste' menu.
only catch: if on any of your clips there is a distort setting now other then the 16-9 to 4-3 compensation of 33.33 you'll loose that.

Return to posts index

projektor
on Feb 7, 2007 at 8:53:32 pm

I ended up creating a nested sequence and distorting it to fit the 16x9 ratio. I wonder how much noticeable quality loss I can expect from this process.

p.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Feb 8, 2007 at 2:51:05 pm

Select all in your sequence > control click > remove attributes > distort. Done. No rendering need if its an anamorphic timeline. We do this a lot as different editors touch projects and forget to set timelines to anamorphic instead of 4x3.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]