FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro set up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Vick
MacBook Pro set up
on Jan 29, 2007 at 5:03:23 am

I have recently started a new job. I left my TV gig after 12 years and am now the Marketing Director at a med size Auto group. My new place has no edit stuff since they outsourced everything. I do have a core dual Intel Imac but I wouldn't use that for editing unless forced to. My new boss has offered me to get a Mac or PC for my office so I am thinking a MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 with lots of ram, and a graphics card to run FCP Studio and Microsoft Office for well office stuff. I would use this as the heart of my edit setup. This way I can travel with my laptop and edit away from the main setup. BAck at the office, I can just plug it into the main system. What else is needed to create a good edit setup for DV editing? ie drives, dv deck, camera. I would edit video for cable playback, web streaming and radio. I would like to stay around $10K at the beginning and add as the system proves useful.

thanks

bob

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: MacBook Pro set up
on Jan 29, 2007 at 6:47:00 am

You're gonna need an external firewire storage device: I like the "G-Drive" 500gig.

DV deck: Sony DSR-45

External speakers: Take your pick. What matters to you? Size or sound? For good sound, but fairly large size I like the Tapco S5's.

Small behringer mixer... really just a volume control.

External keyboard and three button mouse: Logic key and Kensington Mouse.

For serious editing, I'd add a large screen ( 23" cinema display).

With this list, you'll still be under $10K.

Mark

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Jan 29, 2007 at 3:33:47 pm

I don't have a pencil and calculator handy to add up the costs, but I would change a few things:
-e-SATA instead of FW (unless you need to move drives to a computer without e-sata)
-Better speakers
-better mixer (Mackie 1202, for example)
-Dell 2407 instead of Apple monitor
Ed

[Mark Raudonis] "You're gonna need an external firewire storage device: I like the "G-Drive" 500gig.

DV deck: Sony DSR-45

External speakers: Take your pick. What matters to you? Size or sound? For good sound, but fairly large size I like the Tapco S5's.

Small behringer mixer... really just a volume control.

External keyboard and three button mouse: Logic key and Kensington Mouse.

For serious editing, I'd add a large screen ( 23" cinema display).

With this list, you'll still be under $10K. "

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Jan 29, 2007 at 4:35:15 pm

Thanks so far for the input. What I had was an original G5 dual 2.0 FCP studio and other fun 3rd party apps. 23" and 20" Apple display (the new ones) Mackie, AJA LS, Medea and Rorke scsi raids Beta SP. The Laptop set up is new as well as doing only DV. I like the Cal Digit storage path. ANyone having success with it? I want to be able to edit on the road so an internal 7200rpm drive or should I go firewire? I will probably go with a single display. I here the Dell is nice.

bob

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 & CW wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 29, 2007 at 6:49:41 pm

If you want something really nice for the road, get a small SATA RAID and a SATA card for the express card slot to connect it. Much faster than FW800.

Yes, the Dells are quite OK and they offer analog inputs to directly connect your camera.

Regards,

Uli

Author of "DVDs gestalten und produzieren", a book on professional DVD-authoring in German.

Return to posts index

reel2reel
on Jan 31, 2007 at 10:21:25 pm

[Bob Vick] "I do have a core dual Intel Imac but I wouldn't use that for editing unless forced to."

What's the difference? An iMac is essentially a MacBook Pro re-jigged for a desktop.

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Feb 1, 2007 at 9:23:46 pm

[reel2reel] "What's the difference? An iMac is essentially a MacBook Pro re-jigged for a desk"

Good Point. Just a bit harder to fit an IMac into one of those little bags. And I may not look as cool at the local coffee shop.

bob

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 & CW wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

reel2reel
on Feb 1, 2007 at 10:46:14 pm

Those are definitely good points! I just thought I was missing something performance-related.

I work on multiple FCP-towers on the job, but at home I have an Intel iMac and I love it. It's actually a lot snappier than the G5's I work on, and works beautifully with FCP.

I'd love to have a MacBook, too, though! Just make sure you fill it with the max amount of RAM.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]