FORUMS: list search recent posts

seriously.. what is wrong with fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cls105
seriously.. what is wrong with fcp
on Jan 10, 2007 at 9:52:50 pm

new fcp user old avid user... every day i whine about using fcp... not being able to match frame freeze frames, motion effects being a bit more tedious than avid, project files taking long to open. Now this strange match frame issue... click on link for example

http://ed1t.com/nle/

i have an audio clip on the timeline... for some reason its not playing the section of the song that it should be playing. this has happened more than once. and when i matchframe it plays a completly different part of the song (not exactly MATCHframing).

if i had a full on assistant like walter murch, i probably wouldnt whine.

I know i know, these programs operate differently but fcp has a LONG way to go (media db for one thing). I hope i havent offended anyone, discuccing fcp vs avid is like republicans vs democrats.

Thank You for your time and help :)

Return to posts index

Peterd
Re: seriously.. what is wrong with fcp
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:02:15 pm

I'm with you on the project opening thing. I think FCP is a great program but it doesn't seem to handle huge projects(with load times or organization ability) nearly as well as Avid does.

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:05:47 pm

ooh... and im using the newest universal release...so no excuses apple!!!

why am i using fcp you ask? well this was shot in dvcpro hd and and i need to output hd to client monitor, and reference monitor. cant do that in xpress pro :(

but still... match frame issues???

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:15:19 pm

and more more thing... in avid you can hit play a few times and it plays the timeline and clips faster by inceasing the pitch. its great because you can understand what people are saying (in a chipmunk voice of course). fcp however, skips frames to play faster making it impossible to understand what is being said in highspeed...

no ego here, in fact, i want to be wrong. i hope that im just a moron and i dont know how to do what i want to do.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:19:39 pm

Why not dub all of your masters to DV and cut in Express Pro and finish on a Nitris?

No point in learning to use the most used editing software in the world. Just stay in AVID land and forget about it.

I'd love to sit here and waste my time on all of the benifits of the file stracture system that is built on the OS and not the software, but it would most likely be falling on dead ears. Actually as I type, I have figured out that this post is even more futile than your initial post.

So I will just stop right there, but I will add this. You can provide feedback to Apple from within Final Cut Pro and I am sure they will implement all of our requests. Maybe they will even change the name of software to AVID just for you.

:)

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:30:33 pm

Why not dub all of your masters to DV and cut in Express Pro and finish on a Nitris?

Actually a better workflow would be to cut in xpress pro using dvcpro hd media and downconverting to sd via mojo. Then Consoidate the mxf folders on to a drive and load then into the nitris (symphony or ds?).

I can give you great advice if you have workflow questions with avid. I am asking for workflow questions with final cut. It never fails, compare the two and get critisized for it. next please...

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:45:19 pm

Stirring up antagonism does not enrich a forum.

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:55:46 pm

Guess what, I've never touched an AVID, but I'm sure it works great. So does Final Cut. Some people like Premiere (not sure why, but they do - maybe I am to Premiere what AVID editors are to FCP). Nonetheless, they all have positives and negatives, but I'm sure you even have to troubleshoot on AVID. BUT, this is a help forum, so let's try that for a change, eh?

Did you try trashing your prefrences? Sounds like FCP is running into a corrupt media connection. Did you try re-importing the media. Does the funky stuff still happen?

Best,

Ben

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:15:01 pm

When I match frame I always set the auto select indicators to the track I want to match to. I notice on your movie that ALL of the auto select indicators are enabled. Although the only clip at that location in your timeline is the audio track, try turning off the indicators on all of the tracks EXCEPT the ones adjacent to the track you are trying to match to. The Auto Select buttons are those little square buttons just to the right of your track lock buttons on the left side of the timeline. Unless your browser items are somehow connected to the wrong media files, matchframe should work all of the time. I've never had an instance where it didn't work correctly.
Anyhow, give it a try.
As for the Avid/FCP thing. I do feel your pain. I started on Avids WAY back in the early 90's and cut on them for well over 10 years. Learning FCP was a little frustrating, but I've been with FCP now since version 1.2.5. I wouldn't go back to Avid for any money now. They are two different sets of software with two very different ways of achieving the same results. I believe that the "best" system is usually the one that you are the most familiar with.
I am currently teaching a somewhat reluctant Avid editor in the art of editing with Final Cut. He is frustrated as all hell right now because it's dfferent. Yes, it is different. That's one of the things I like best about it. It can be updated fairly easily with only software changes. I have a pair of aging Avid Symphony systems in the other two edit rooms here. They are basically dead end systems. No chance of ever upgrading them. To upgrade them, you basically replace them. They are barely 3 years old now and cost quite a bit of money when new. The editor I'm instructing right now is one of the most dyed-in-the-wool Avid people you will ever meet. However, he see the handwriting on the wall as far as the future here. That future is FCP. No doubt about that. He's realized that he has to adapt or die professionally. Smart guy. It's like a business guy that speaks more than one language. Always a plus.

As an editor who still ventures back into Avid land from time to time, I have to say that there are definitely features of the Symphonys that blow FCP away. The color correctors for example. However, for every one feature that Avid does "better", I can name 10 that, in my opinion, FCP is superior at. When I replace the two Avids here in the near future, one will probably be an Adreneline HD system. The other one (or two) will be FCP. No doubt about it.
Give it a chance and FCP will become your friend. Try your best to not attempt to bend FCP into a clone of your Avid. Relax, open your mind, give up a few of the things you like about your Avid and you will be rewarded with MANY things that are easier and more efficient in FCP.
That's your bit if Editing Zen for the day.
tom

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:18:29 pm

im happy with that response :)

Return to posts index

Martin Baker
on Feb 24, 2007 at 9:56:57 am

Tom, if you're still watching this thread and have a moment, would you contact me off-forum. I'm writing an article about Avid and FCP and would like to talk to you.

thanks

Martin
Digital Heaven, London UK

Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
NEW! Final Print for FCP
Hot Tips video podcast

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Jan 10, 2007 at 10:57:43 pm

Hi

rather than belittle one or the other, i will tell you this

when the audio does not matchframe properly, its usually due to confusion over audio renders, under tools use the render manager to delete them. that should work better

also, in response to your other post about jkl and the audio shuttle: You need a card like a kona LH or something and it will give you better audio scrubbing. FCP by itself garbles the sound a lot more in shuttle.

we have 2 systems, one with a Kona LH and One with an IO la (basically a firewire converter) the kona LH is a bunch better for shuttling, as well as other stuff.

ps, what happens if you get a MOJO on the express and digi yer footage through that analog component? no?

hope this helps

bee eph

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:01:48 pm

[cls105] "new fcp user old avid user... every day i whine about using fcp... not being able to match frame freeze frames, motion effects being a bit more tedious than avid, project files taking long to open. Now this strange match frame issue... click on link for example

http://ed1t.com/nle/

i have an audio clip on the timeline... for some reason its not playing the section of the song that it should be playing. this has happened more than once. and when i matchframe it plays a completly different part of the song (not exactly MATCHframing).

if i had a full on assistant like walter murch, i probably wouldnt whine."

Just curious, why are you using FCP? If you were happy with Avid, why switch? Not antagonizing, just asking. I switched from Media 100 because I was tired of only being able to edit with 2 tracks of video.

[cls105] "not being able to match frame freeze frames"

Never had to match a freeze frame so I have no idea on that one.

[cls105] "motion effects being a bit more tedious than avid"

It's a different program so it operates differently. I use motion effects all the time and have created 30 track video compositions with FCP. It's quite easy for me, but certainly different than Avid. After a few months, it will be second nature. FCP is not Avid and Avid is not FCP.

[cls105] "project files taking long to open."

Depends on how big a project is. A large project with 100's of clips will take longer to open than a 30 second spot with 20 clips. That's the nature of how FCP works at the moment.

[cls105] "I know i know, these programs operate differently but fcp has a LONG way to go (media db for one thing)."

If you had been with FCP since version 1.25 like myself, you would not be saying that, but marveling at how far FCP has come in just 5 years. Yes, it's not perfect, but again, it's not Avid and it certainly doesn't come with the price tag of a full HD Avid system.

I'm still curious, why switch from Avid when you seem to have been happily cutting with it? I often wonder why Avid editors switch to FCP, but then complain it "doesn't cut like Avid." Of course it doesn't, it cuts like FCP. If I was happy cutting with Avid, I wouldn't switch to FCP, so just curious why you made the switch.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:16:00 pm

Yes we all complain. I dont know one avid editor who is happy enough with fcp. The reason I'm using final cut is because i need to output an hdcam master. My mojo doesnt output hd (pathetic!). The problem is, we have the same standards with the software. I just dont get some of these problems that im having with fcp. A matchframe should be a match frame. Drive speed requirments seem to be higher in final cut (you need to raid or youll get underruns). and the rest is above. I want to love final cut, and im tired of people telling me to request a feature. hhaha :)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 11, 2007 at 1:47:36 am

[cls105] "Drive speed requirments seem to be higher in final cut (you need to raid or youll get underruns). and the rest is above."

This is because FCP is software based, not hardware. With HDCAM material you need a minimum CalDigit S2VR HD SATA array, which is what we're running now, or Fibre Channel. We've been delivering HD to networks for two years now with FCP and we started out on Fibre Channel but have recently switched to CalDigit SATA arrays.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:21:19 pm

Just a quick little side bar to add to the above. We have a "new guy" here that's only a year out of college. He learned Final Cut at school and is really pretty good at it. To be more useful here, he has been learning the Avid system for the last year. He absolutely HATES it. It makes no sense to him.
It comes down to what you are the most familiar and comfortable using. It's that simple.
tom

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:29:17 pm

i get that its more intuitive... Initially my complaints were something like... trying to matchframe freeze frames, trying to match frame and its not working, getting underruns cutting dvcprohd media on a single sata disk.

im going to be more open about this software. Im still curious about the for every advantage avid has fcp has 10 (or something like that). I cant wait until fcp adds metadata or a database for all the media.. its only a matter of time i guess.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 11, 2007 at 1:15:19 am

[cls105] "getting underruns cutting dvcprohd media on a single sata disk."

Are you still cutting DVCProHD on a single SATA drive? If so, then you have absolutely no business wasting anyone's time with your problems. If you are, we'll have your balls surgically removed with a rusty super-8 splicing block.

DRW

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 1:35:07 am

haha, i know im upgrading storage as we speak.. however, this is my point. in the past i have used xpress pro cutting dvcprohd on a single 7200rpm sata drive. same thing with uncompressed sd. i dont want to compare but when i started to use final cut with the SAME storage configuration and less performance outcome i asked myself what was going on.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:31:16 pm

I've answered my fair share of posts in these forums. I am not sure it is productive to drop three posts in complaining about how one piece of software does not compare to another piece of software. Then I get a bit cheekie and everyone gets on the high horse.

Ask your questions about FCP and they will be answered here. There is no need to state (which you did on three seperate posts on your private rant) that one is better than the other.

You broke the code. So did I and I apologize for that. I actaully wrote an article about this a while back!

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=122&page=htt...

David

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 10, 2007 at 11:47:38 pm

and also,

I hated FCP when I made the switch. But I loved it more than media 100 and discreet EDit and Adobe premier and the editdroid. Many of the things you are complaing about are and have been legitimate "problems" with FCP when you look at things with an AVID perspective.

Walter has a good point here. FCP is not AVID and vice versa. I have come to understand media management in FCP (believe it or not) and I use it all the time to consolidate media etc.. On the double speed thing. This was one of the most anoying thins for me because when sifting through hours of doc interview I had to watch in double or 4x times speed to sift it. I actually implored the people who wrote the Aurora codec to come up with a fix for this, but it is just the way QT media handles audio.

Freeze frames. When you create one always drag a copy of it from the viewer into the browser and then cut that back into the timeline. This forces FCP to connect it to a piece od media.

Slo Motion. You will use fit to fill a lot more in FCP.

JKL does speed and eventually your ear will tune to FCP's way.

ReMap your keyboard to your avid prefs.

The top things I like.
1. Media files in teh browser and on the drive have the same name
2. Scalable QT throughout the OS
3. Compressor
4. Use of photo's and other media
5. Scalability (DV to HD) one box
6. Software updates to not require an OS change
7. Pricepoint

Mostly I like that AVID is no longer th eonly game in town. That's democracy at work.

David

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 11, 2007 at 1:54:07 am

[David Battistella] "Ask your questions about FCP and they will be answered here. There is no need to state (which you did on three seperate posts on your private rant) that one is better than the other."

And that is exactly the point I always try to make on these forums. Avid is not better than FCP and FCP is not better than Avid. Each is it's own NLE and to compare them is just not worth the discussion space. If you're working in FCP and want to know how to familiarize yourself with FCP, then get Diane Weyland's book and learn the interface. FCP will NEVER be Avid or Premiere or Media 100 or Quantel or the 50 other NLE's that are out there.

If you want to cut on an Avid, then buy an Avid and go with it. If your Avid cannot cut HD, then upgrade to an Avid that does cut HD. But no one should ever expect to come to FCP from ANY other non-linear editing system and expect it to be just like what they left. It never will. It will be what it is and if that's not good enough for the user, then switch to something else.

All I can say is that in the 5 years of using FCP, I started in a spare bedroom with a CineWave FCP System, UVW-1800 and 240GB of storage space. I now run a full Post facility with 3 high definition suites, almost 7TB of storage and we're delivering two HD broadcast series with several more waiting in the wings. I adopted my entire workflow from Media 100 to FCP 5 years ago and never looked back. What's wrong with FCP? Not a whole lot in my book.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

CharlieX2
on Jan 11, 2007 at 2:28:04 am

Did anyone answer your question - or just get defensive?

I always press the "f" key for matchframe and it's never failed (make sure only the targets for the audio are on, though, or it'll match back to video layers) OR use the matchframe button which is the furthest right round button in the record viewer.

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 2:38:46 am

yeah i tried that.. i guess it was a render issue... People do get defensive... I dont think there is anything wrong with pointing out flaws from someone who is used to working on another system. I'm asking for work arounds here... And i have the final cut book for avid editors but it doesnt mention everything..

heres another "flaw" in fcp :)

Import cd tracks with no title names and youll have the generic track 1, 2, 3.

import about 5 more but place them in another folder...

So your bins and filenames are

MUSIC/XXX ARTIST/track1.aif
music/crappy artist/track1.aif
music/blah/track1.aif

then do copy media and project. now all the media is in one folder... so when you open up your sequence and it looks for the specific track1.aif it will link you to the incorrect track1.aif

For those saying theres nothing wrong, please promise me youll never upgrade :) ok back to fcp, ill use this forever, i just want things improved.

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 3:11:35 am

ok im done with this post.. i just need to learn this software a bit more... end of it.. thanks for the replies

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 11, 2007 at 3:59:10 am

Did Bob Flood's post answer your question? This happens form time to time due to FCPs lack of database skills. The good news is all you have to do is delete your audio render files. You should probably convert your audio files to 48k 16bit anyway, that way you won't need to render and you won't have problems. I notice this problem happening with a lot of cutting and pasting and renaming of timelines. If the name of the timeline changes, FCP can get confused as sometimes the render files are tied to the name of the sequence. While that makes for easy searching when you are looking for files on your harddrive that are name matched to your media in the bin/browser, it makes it harder for FCP to track.

Don't worry man, you'll get the hang of it.

Good luck and hope this helped.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 4:24:56 am

yeah it did help... thanks a lot... hopefully theyll pay more attention to improving the database issue and less on making phones ;)

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jan 11, 2007 at 4:38:07 am

Are you using 44.1 audio in a 48 timeline? We had problems with 44.1 in a 48k timeline. We always convert our audio to 48k.

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 4:56:16 am

i think my cd audio is all at 44.. but doesnt it render it to 48? maybe not eh? hmmm should i do all that stuff in peak, a little batch convert perhaps. thanks

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 4:58:20 am

i wish i could edit my post (like the avid forum, JK!) i always forget something... umm is it better to encode audio as aac, or mp3, or leave it as aif.. thanks again :) now i feel guilty pissing everyone off... sorry bout that. -c

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:06:47 am

ok did it with amadaeus... ok im done with this post... makes me look bad... thanks -c

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:13:20 am

[cls105] "now i feel guilty pissing everyone off"

Really man, no worries. You stepped into a lion cage wearing a gazelle suit. Don't worry, once you show the lion's you aren't a gazelle they'll get disinterested and walk away and go back to sleep in the afternoon sun.

You should convert your CD audio to 48k/16 bit. FCp like both of those formats. You can use quicktime, compressor, and some use iTunes, but I find that highly annoying. Compressor for a bunch of files or quicktime for one or two files. It's really easy and fast.

You gripes about FCP are legitimate. I love Apple and FCP, it has done me well and has really allowed me to build a business and emphasize my interests and talents ... but it is not perfect. FCP does need a database overhaul. It would make onlining easier as well. Soon, FCp will be just like Avid with really high price points and mandatory service contracts. Be thankful you can do what you can do now with this free tech support you are getting here at the Cow with low priced software and editing on a single SATA drive. The other advice you got to increase your storage is also necessary. Even if you got one more SATA drive and striped it together with your other one, you'd be much better off. Ideally you should look into a RAID, but that should be another thread.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:16:56 am

[JeremyG] "You should convert your CD audio to 48k/16 bit."

and keep it an aiff. I forgot that part.

Return to posts index

Dave Hardy
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:45:29 am

Leave it as aif.

Dave

Dave Hardy

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 6:00:38 am

thanks a lot... yeah just converted sample rate (and program added file extentions)... time to recconect (smile on face while thinking he could have changed sample rate inside avid)... i cant help it hahaha

Return to posts index

Dave Hardy
on Jan 11, 2007 at 6:16:14 am

Well, FCP can normally play it back on the fly, & will render it to 48k automatically after a specified idle time in timeline. However as you are are already having playback issues, ever more of an incentive to do a convert to 48k prior to importing.

Dave Hardy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 11, 2007 at 11:53:08 am

[cls105] "umm is it better to encode audio as aac, or mp3, or leave it as aif.. thanks again :)"

I use Quicktime Pro to convert all my audio to 48khz aif before bringing it into FCP. All your audio should be converted to 48 from 44 before it gets to FCP. You can also use iTunes for this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
Re: seriously.. what is wrong with stick shift cars?
on Jan 11, 2007 at 1:38:49 pm

I'm an old time automatic driver. Been driving an automatic for years now. But now I need to drive a stick. Instead of hiring someone who knows how to drive stick shifts to spend a few hours with me showing me how it work, I just jumped in myself cuz I know how to drive a car. Man, what's wrong with these stick shift cars??? They don't drive the way I'm used to driving it....

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Video Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 11, 2007 at 1:47:23 pm

[Chi-Ho Lee] "I'm an old time automatic driver. Been driving an automatic for years now. But now I need to drive a stick. Instead of hiring someone who knows how to drive stick shifts to spend a few hours with me showing me how it work, I just jumped in myself cuz I know how to drive a car. Man, what's wrong with these stick shift cars??? They don't drive the way I'm used to driving it...."

:) That made reading through the last few posts all worth it!

Return to posts index

John Steventon
on Jan 11, 2007 at 2:59:03 pm

The temptation to point out that your analogy makes Avid the simpler, easier system to use is... just... too... strong...

But, actually I agree 100% with your analogy, in all manners. Even my facetious response. I think Avid's a lot easier to get to grips with, just jump in, and edit - whereas FCP can let you do a LOT more and be a LOT more versatile than a basic Avid Media Composer of Xpress DV.

And, to the sentiment that people who struggle to use it should get some kinda training, you're 100% right there. (Although, no training in the world will get around the lost/changed renders, the 'cannot edit to tape as your sequence is only 1 frame' errors, and a few of the other glitches that FCP has.

Thinking abou Walter's post a few posts back, I think the reason most Avid to FCP migrations have is simply that it's obvious that at a ground level, Final Cut is going to take over. Due to what it's capable of doing, and for the money you have to spend, as long as you have the time to work around any glitches, it makes complete sense to use it.

I still consider myself an Avid dinosaur, but I recognised the shift in the industry, that for the majority of everyday work, I'll probably end up using Final Cut Pro, as I'll either have to edit myself at home, or at a feldgling company who has adopted FCP based on monetary considerations - so I've adapted.

However, all the high end stuff I do, I still do on Avids (DS, Symphony Nitris etc) because they're a lot more reliable, and give me quicker results - so I see my plunge into FCP as a broadening of my skillbase, rahter than a change of allegiance. Sure, I've bumped and moaned on here about some of the failings I see in Final Cut, and Walter's been very patient in some of his replies to my questions about the glitches - but it concerns me that this has become an 'either/or' kind of discussion - where you're either Avid or FCP.

As a DJ, I've gone through the exact same thing when shifting from a vinyl DJ to primarily CD. I'd still rather use vinyl, but the functioanlity and the availability of CD is just way too attractive to not use. So, much like the Avid and FCP thing, I now have 2 turntables, and 2 CD decks sitting at home, which I use, and love just as much.

There. Lunch has now finished, back to work. Thanks for your time.

Oh, and great post. (The stick vs Auto thing).

John

John Steventon - Author of DJing for Dummies

Success is merely a failiure to imagine more...

G5 2.7Ghz, 4.5Gb ram, Blackmagic Decklink/multibridge, 5.6Tb Infortrend storage, FCP Studio 5.04, Makie MCU control, Yahama 5.1 surround, JVC DTV multi-format monitor, 2x23inch Apple monitors - and a partirdge on a pear tree.

Return to posts index

Chi-Ho Lee
on Jan 11, 2007 at 3:13:27 pm

[John Steventon] "The temptation to point out that your analogy makes Avid the simpler, easier system to use is... just... too... strong..."

On the surface, yes, my post does seem that way but I was more referring to whatever system you've spent years on to be the Automatic.

If you've spent years on a abacus, you'll feel it's the simplest thing in the world to use.

I started on an Avid for 3 years, then FCP for 6, and now back to Avid for my current job. It's a bit rough and tough and I'm not in love with the Avid but I don't give the attitude of "What's wrong with Avid?!?" like the original poster. It's like going to someone's house and point out all the bad things about their house and then complain that people are sooooo sensitive about receiving critiques. He's not criticizing, he's whining and pi$$ing on your front door.

I think the responses he got were way more generous than he should've with his initial tone. There's no obligation to help anyone here. We do it for free and on our own busy schedules. Be nice, be courteous, be grateful. And keep his snide attitude to himself.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Video Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Trainer
http://www.chiholee.com

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Jan 11, 2007 at 2:49:42 pm

Just curious What is the format of an aif file on a CD? I imported 8 cds from a music library onto my drives. They are aifs but are they 48K 126bit right off the the cd or should convert all of them?

bob

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 & CW wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Jan 11, 2007 at 4:10:00 pm

[Bob Vick] "What is the format of an aif file on a CD?"

CD's come in at 44.100 kHz 16bit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Pale
Compressor droplet is great for this too
on Jan 11, 2007 at 8:38:16 pm

1) Open Compressor
2) Go to Settings Pane
3) In Apple/Audio Formats select AIFF 48/16
4) Go to File/Save Droplet As...

Save the droplet to the desktop or some other convenient place. You can also drag it to the dock, top or sidebar of a Finder Window.
You can also select a folder where the converted AIFF files will end up....usually you would put this folder on your media drive.

This is better than Quicktime Pro, as you can easily do lots of files in the background. It may also be better for some than iTunes, as you do not need to mess with your iTunes encoding or library location setting. Utilizing the Destination settings in Compressor, you can also make the files conform to whatever naming scheme you like.

Return to posts index

Bob Flood
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:16:03 pm

HI Again

I rip (import) CD tracks a lot, and I either use Itunes when i want to hear and rip at the same time OR i use a program called Max, which wont let you hear the cd track, but gives you the option of setting a file name prefixe so all my ripped tracks are named CoolMusic.001, Cool Music.002 etc. the downside is it only rips at 44.1, so i have to convert before importing into fcp. look around for other rippers as well
most give you file nameing abilities.

When i do use i tunes this is what i found helps:

Set a "library" folder someplace you can easily find, like in the job folder on your capture scratch such as HardDrive1>Final cut pro Documents>capture scratch>my job>music imports

then set the import format for AIF 48khz 16 bit, and set the folder preferences to keep organized ie artist, album and so on.

when you are done Importing the CD tracks, import files and folders into fcp, the folders will have the disc and artist name for referenceing

you can always right click on any clip audio or video and "reveal in finder" believe it or not, even though you may have 5 tracks that are called track1.aif, FCP keeps track of them.

hope this helps

bee eph

Return to posts index

mishka
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:24:21 pm

[Bob Flood] "When i do use i tunes this is what i found helps: "

There is also Playlist2FCP from Spherico. Check it.

Return to posts index

cls105
on Jan 11, 2007 at 5:30:36 pm

Yeah my tone was agressive. All my complaints will be fixed in the future. For now i just have to make my mistakes once and learn. I'm glad some people understand my frustration (those who have used both im assuming).

"Apple Reinvents the Phone With iPhone"

All i can think about is when the iWheel is coming out out :)

Return to posts index

msacci
on Jan 11, 2007 at 10:06:52 pm

Nice to see this end up on a nice note.

Better to start out with Hey I can do ... in Avid, doesn't seem to be working well in FCP any ideas?

Personally I'm waiting for iAir or even better, iCivilGovernment.

Return to posts index

Cofe
by
on Jan 11, 2007 at 10:39:00 pm

I have used and owned both and can't understand your frustration :-)
Why do people so often keep dwelling on the problem rather then on the solution?
I stopped long ago to say 'why can't they fix this' because its a complete waist of time!
Just find a solution or workaround and feel happy if a software update addresses the issue in the future (and if not so be it).
And if one gets stuck and can't figure it out, ask on forums like this, in a neutral manner because otherwise you keep waisting YOUR time again as the only response you get is a religous discussion about preferences.
Your question should have only required 3-4 posts the most...
But then again the whole thread is funny, so thanks for that.

my two cents

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Jan 13, 2007 at 9:08:21 am

[cls105] ""Apple Reinvents the Phone With iPhone"

All i can think about is when the iWheel is coming out out :)"

That's a good one! Although didn't Bill Gates already re-invent the wheel with those little stand on scooters that were going to change our lives? There were press leaks and murmurrings until they finally unveiled them much to all our disapointment. They could roll but they couldn't shuffle...

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jan 13, 2007 at 2:56:57 pm

Dean Kamen invented the Segway. Bill Gates didn't have anything to do with it.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 13, 2007 at 3:32:27 pm

Al Gore did invent the Internet though.

Return to posts index

qoozamooza
on Jan 19, 2007 at 11:31:52 pm

Read the whole thread. Didn't read your posts as aggressive or snide at all. Not a single one. Read alot of overly defensive responses however and some good advice in between. forum communities can be overly sensitive as much as some posters can be rude.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]