FORUMS: list search recent posts

Up-Res in Final Cut Pro or After Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mrshow555
Up-Res in Final Cut Pro or After Effects
on Dec 1, 2006 at 7:17:48 am

I have a feature that was shot on miniDV and the distribution company needs me to provide them with DigiBeta masters. How can I up-res this footage with either Final Cut Pro or After Effects? We don't have much money so taking it to a post facility is kind of out of the question (the movie was only shot for 1k). We have free/cheap access to lay off to DVCAM and then dub that to DigiBeta, but how do I prevent the 4:1:1 to 4:2:2 quality loss problem before laying off? I read about Instant HD by Red Giant, but are there any other ways of doing it with standard FCP5.1 or AE6.5 (both loaded with Magic Bullet?).

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
Re: Up-Res in Final Cut Pro or After Effects
on Dec 1, 2006 at 5:44:58 pm

You can't really add resolution to DV footage. You can minimize your losses. See if you can take you file to a facility and have them output to Digi beta with out going back to DV.

joe

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 1, 2006 at 9:09:00 pm

That would make absolutely no difference. Master it to DVCam. Have a facility dub from DVCam to digibeta. That's it. Keep it sdi or component.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Dec 1, 2006 at 5:53:20 pm

There's nothing at all wrong with your free DVCAM to DigiBeta route. You lose nothing in the process of recording to DVCAM over FireWire.

To get from the DVCAM deck to DigiBeta, the best way would be via SDI. Very little loss there either. IF the DVCAM deck doesn't have SDI out, the next best would be analog component out of the DVCAM to the DigiBeta. The loss would be very minimal.

No sense in worrying about the 4:1:1, since you're locked into that from the moment you recorded onto DV.

Return to posts index

mrshow555
on Dec 3, 2006 at 1:54:21 am

So is there any need to upconvert my footage first? I found a decent tutorial on how to do that with Compressor here:

http://www.proapptips.com/videos/_DV_to_DVCPRO_HD.mov

I'm just not sure which setting to use for DigiBeta instead of HD.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 3, 2006 at 2:03:27 am

In Compressor, in the ADVANCED FORMAT COMPRESSIONS, there are options for 8-bit and 10-bit uncompressed. Those are the typical digitbeta settings. Just make sure the setting you choose matches the format you are editing.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

mrshow555
on Dec 3, 2006 at 2:12:48 am

I'm editing miniDV. Which settings do I need to upconvert it to DigiBeta, 8 or 10bit? Or does that depend on the system we're laying it off with?

SIDE QUESTION: My footage was shot with 16x9 bars and I tried using the crop feature like the video instructed but it just squished the footage. How do I get it to actually crop off the bars so that the video being output is only the video, no bars?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 3, 2006 at 2:24:53 am

You just have to play with the settings until you get the right one. The preset I made took a lot of trial and error, and it STILL isn't quite right. I need to fix it...when I get the chance.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]