FORUMS: list search recent posts

two 30" Apple or Dell?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Irwin
two 30" Apple or Dell?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 4:56:51 am

Gonna be ordering a new mac pro with an ati 1900 card in it. Wanted to splurge for the ultimate in screen real estate, was planning on the apple cinema displays but had a look at dells site and their 30" display is $1290 right now. $2600 is sounding a lot more reasonable than $4000. I had a setup with 2 of the 20" dells and was happy, I've read alot about folks likiing the 24" ones, but haven't found anything about the 30's. they are compatible with the Mac Pro right? Anyone using one or two dell 30" care to comment? Comparisons to the apple 30"?

thanks, tim

Return to posts index

Skougor
Re: two 30" Apple or Dell?
on Nov 2, 2006 at 5:44:28 am

Man,
I envy your problems. Never seen the Dell, but the Mac screen is pristine. I use a 30" mac w/one of my clients and I could not imagine such a gi-normous workspace as two of 'em. You should look around for some rather large desks as well.

Good luck in your hunt.

Todd

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 2, 2006 at 5:57:10 am

I have two Dell 2405 24" HD monitors and love them. Beat the Apple monitors in head to head according to some:

http://www.barefeats.com/lcd

Cheaper too.

I use one monitor for bins and the mixer, and the other for the Viewer, Canvas and timeline. On occassion I will use Digital Cinema Preview to get the image on the second monitors for clients.

Two monitors better than one...IMHO.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

Tim Irwin
on Nov 2, 2006 at 3:20:45 pm

Thanks for the messages, I'm pretty set on having 2 monitors, my question is specifically about the 30" Dells. Anyone used one? Anyone used 2 at once? To make the dells even more enticing, they have refurbed ones for $1150! That is a pproaching two for the price of one when compared to the apple.

thanks, tim

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Nov 2, 2006 at 5:23:35 pm

Here is something to consider. Where is your CPU going to be?
The Apple Cinema displays are Digital DVI and cable distances are a problem. We went with the Dell because they have VGA inputs as well as DVI. We needed VGA for the 25' cable lengths. We currently have two 24" Dell displays and when you set the Apple to display at the native resolution, the dell monitor says it cant do it. So we are running in non native display and viewing the images stretched! That sucks.
We cant find the problem with the display resoltion cause Dell says it is an apple problem. Apple says it is a Dell problem.

One more thing, I used dual 30" displays on a job recently and found it to be massive overkill and my head was constantly turning left and right to view across the screens. I ended up just putting all the FCP windows on one of the monitors and using the other monitor of other appliations.

Dan

Return to posts index

Zak Mussig
on Nov 2, 2006 at 5:30:08 pm

I haven't used a 30" to work with, but I feel like you'd be happier with two of the 24" Dells. That's still a lot of screen real estate, and you don't need some crazy expensive graphics card to drive them. Obviously there are other benefits to beastly graphics cards (FX Plug comes to mind), but why spend all of that cash just to get a massive headache every time you sit down to edit.

The 24" Dells have video inputs as well... that's my suggestion.

Zak

Return to posts index

Tim Irwin
on Nov 2, 2006 at 6:03:33 pm

Hmmm, Those are good points. I like to have lots of applications open at once, but I never thought about TOO big being a negative :). I'll head down to the apple store and take a long hard look at the 30" and the 23". I think i'm pretty sold on the dells whichever size i go with, but don't know of anywhere I can go have a look at those in person.
I don't think the cable length will be a problem as the cpu will sit directly under the desk. Thanks for all the input everyone.

-tim

Return to posts index

Zak Mussig
on Nov 2, 2006 at 6:56:48 pm

Dell had a kiosk in one of the malls around here for a while... maybe they have one at yours as well.

Zak

Return to posts index

billlee
on Nov 3, 2006 at 7:49:56 am

[Dan Powers] "We currently have two 24" Dell displays and when you set the Apple to display at the native resolution, the dell monitor says it cant do it. So we are running in non native display and viewing the images stretched! That sucks.
We cant find the problem with the display resoltion cause Dell says it is an apple problem. Apple says it is a Dell problem."

Dan have you tried out the DisplayConfigX utility (http://www.3dexpress.de)? My copy cost me all of US$12 a couple of years ago (maybe it's gone up). Unregistered version don't have all the configuration capabilities that the registered version does.

This cute little utility will allow you set all sorts of timing and rates for your (computer monitor) output video, so that you might be able to placate your Dell's by outputting a non-Apple approved output signal.

Cheers,
Bill Lee

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 3, 2006 at 7:58:41 am

[Dan Powers] "We currently have two 24" Dell displays and when you set the Apple to display at the native resolution, the dell monitor says it cant do it. So we are running in non native display and viewing the images stretched! That sucks."

Not sure what you mean by this. I am running the Dells at their full native resolution (1900x1280) and things look great.

What do you mean by set the Apple to display native resolution? And what graphics card are you using? I have the 9800 Pro.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]