FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewird sound board

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve
Firewird sound board
on Oct 25, 2006 at 2:42:30 pm

Hi gang

I am looking at upgrading my system to a sound board that can feed audio directly into my Mac G5. I have looked at a couple of different companies and am leaning towards one that has firewire out to the computer,

my question is this...

Currently my FCP program will only work with one of my video decks that feeds it video and audio via firewire at a time, the other deck must be off or I can not digitize. If I want to purchase a new sound board, must it be USB so FCP does not have a conflict with it?

The way my system is hooked up now, I have to run any audio through my DSR-11 video deck and it is a real guessing game as to whether the audio will distort or not.

The only reason I am looking at firewire is bacause the mixer I am interested in is a Phonic Helix. It got good reviews but as far as I can tell, only outputs in firewire. I don't need to do individual channel output to mix into the computer, just left and right channel. I don't do music stuff, just post production. I was interested in Alesis until I started reading negative reviews on their products.

If there is a better alternative or company that you have in mind, please let me know. I have several analog sources and a couple of mics that will go through this board. Just so you know, I am looking a sixteen channel board.

Any insight you might have would be deeply appreciated

Steve

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Firewird sound board
on Oct 25, 2006 at 2:53:44 pm

Don't know much about the mixer products but in your situation I'd monitor the audio out of the deck for distortion, and watch the meters in FCP (since the DSR-11 has none) to calibrate. Once you've got the meters on your mixer calibrated with the meters in FCP there shouldn't be any distortion unless you're sending the deck distortion. Maybe just upgrading to better deck with line level xlr inputs and meters would be a solution too, but that might cost as much as the new board.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]