FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut and AJA IO

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hill
Final Cut and AJA IO
on Oct 2, 2006 at 8:52:35 pm

I'm looking to record live shows straight to a Final Cut laptop. The problem is, we're starting to do the shows in three languages. It's sports, meaning we have 6 talent (1 play by play and 1 color for each language), but it boils down to 3 stereo feeds and 1 video feed.
Typically we air the English version live and record the Spanish/Portugese versions on DigiBeta to be aired separately on a different date. Now we want to record all three versions straight to a file, as the Spanish/Portugese delivery will all be file based soon.
I have an AJA io, but would be willing to invest in other equipment if I can't get it to work for my needs.
Here's the question: How do I do it? Can I use the AJA Io to record English stereo on channels 1/2 and mono the other two languages, Spanish to channel 3 and Portugese to channel 4? Or, can I embed English through the SDI on channels 1/2 and leave the 4 analog inputs for Spanish/Portugese in stereo? I don't think I can set up the capture to capture SDI embedded audio and 4 channels of analog.

Another problem: Can I use a firewire 800 drive to record the games, while the AJA uses the firewire 400?

I'm new to the AJA thing, so I might not sound intelligent asking the questions, but I'd appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks
Scott

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Final Cut and AJA IO
on Oct 2, 2006 at 9:55:00 pm

Don't make the mistake of not having a fall back position.... i.e. record to tape in any event.

But I don't see why this couldn't be done. You'll want as fast an array as you can connect to the laptop. I'd suggest that you look into eSATA. There are cards for this that work in laptops... Not sure which way to feed the audio, but with as many as 8 channels of embedded audio, you should have enough to do what you need to do... I'd certainly experiment, but don't rely on hard drives and FCP as your ONLY capture... record it all to tape as well.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Oct 3, 2006 at 5:20:08 am

Do you know about "Picture Ready" from Gallery in the UK?

http://www.virtualvtr.com/pictureready/index.html

Might be helpful for what you're trying to do.

Mark

Return to posts index

Scott Hill
on Oct 3, 2006 at 4:40:38 pm

I appreciate the help. I will probably use sATA drives, but I am trying to eliminate tape altogether. For the first few games, I'll still record to DigiBeta, but hope to be confident enough stop recording to tape.
What I need to figure out is, how do I take an SDI video feed and 6 channels of analog audio, and feed it into Final Cut to record. My AJA Io has 4 inputs for analog audio. It will take 8 channels through the embedded SDI, but I have to figure out how to get the audio into the SDI. I could go mono, I guess, but am hoping to find some kind of box that will take all six channels (maybe 8 in the future).

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Oct 3, 2006 at 11:17:49 pm

Did you try posting this in the AJA forum? They may be able to better guide you. Good Luck!

"If God could do the tricks we can do, He'd be a happy Man." - Peter O'Toole - "The Stuntman"

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Final Cut Studio (Not Universal, yet)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]