FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to increase quality of pictures used for video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pachaunida
How to increase quality of pictures used for video
on Aug 28, 2006 at 6:48:18 am

Hey folks,
I am trying to do a quick memorial video using jpeg pictures that were emailed to me. I imported them into FCP and they are way too small on the Canvas to look good. When I blow up the picture it looks horrible. Is there any way that they can be electronically sent to me in another format that would allow for the pictures to fit into FCP better? I'm doing a simple video with a sequence of pictures, some quotes, and music. What's the best way to do this?
Thanks,
Arturo

Return to posts index

Levon H
Re: How to increase quality of pictures used for video
on Aug 28, 2006 at 7:07:39 am

you will need images at least the size of your format, PAL is 720x576 and one of the HD standards is 1920x1080. and if you want to zoom in even higher then that.

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Aug 28, 2006 at 9:01:47 am

You definetly need to have the pictures close to the size of your output, blowing them up past 110% will give you very noticable distortion. It also depends on the dpi of the pictures as well, for normal ntsc video all you need is 72 dpi, if the pictures are at a higher resolution you may be able to enlarge them a bit. Also always view your results on a reliable monitor.

thanx,

jeff

Return to posts index

Matte
on Aug 28, 2006 at 11:12:21 am

[Jeff] "...ntsc video all you need is 72 dpi, if the pictures are at a higher resolution you may be able to enlarge them a bit..."

DPI actually has no bearing in video, it is only the number of pixels of the dimensions (horizontal and vertical) that matter.

In NTSC DV 720 x 540 (any DPI) is the approx. one-to-one size.

If you had an image that was approx. 1440 x 1080 (any DPI), you could "zoom in" on it in FCP quite a bit before degradation would be visible.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Aug 28, 2006 at 1:34:56 pm

Take a look at PhotoZoomPro, it will scale the pics up beautifully.

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Aug 28, 2006 at 5:41:07 pm

Hopefully whoever sent the photos has bigger files. Usually you're dealing with 1MB per image (720x480@72dpi). Jpegs compress well for email so they should be able to send at least 10 per email. Often these images are taken from less than ideal quality originals so some color correction and adjustment of the levels will do miracles.

"everything is broken"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]