FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Best place to try to sell a broken camera for parts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Kellam
OT: Best place to try to sell a broken camera for parts
on Jul 27, 2006 at 1:37:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a non-functioning camera that I would like to try to sell just on the chance that I might be able to get a little bit of money out of it. Before I put it on Ebay, do any of you have any idea about any place to list it online where I might be able to find someone who actually needs one? If I put it on Ebay, I expect that there's a good chance I won't get enough from it to even mess with listing it.

It is a JVC GY-DV500U full size DV camcorder. It was a great camera while it lasted, but unfortunately, I dropped it. It looks fine, but obviously something is wrong. Much of it seems to work fine, but the Deck is not getting power. After a phone call to JVC and a lot of hands on checking from a TV engineer, it looks like it's not coming back.

I'm beyond expecting to resurrect it, but it is functional enough that I figure it might be useful to someone who already has one, should they need any parts (boards and such).

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Michael

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: OT: Best place to try to sell a broken camera for parts
by
on Jul 27, 2006 at 2:11:52 pm

[Michael Kellam] "If I put it on Ebay, I expect that there's a good chance I won't get enough from it to even mess with listing it."

WoW. With a positive attitude like that, you must be in ADVERTISING!

;-)

Seriously, eBay is a GREAT place to post it.

It won't cost you much of anything if it doesn't sell.

Take a few digital images to post, and be very CLEAR in your title and body copy as to exactly what you HAVE and what the problem is. (Just copy-and-paste what you posted HERE, that was great info.)

List it with a "reserve price" as the lowest you'd take for it, figure the shipping costs to post, and go for it.

Return to posts index

Michael Kellam
on Jul 28, 2006 at 2:56:37 pm

[Michael Kellam] "If I put it on Ebay, I expect that there's a good chance I won't get enough from it to even mess with listing it."

WoW. With a positive attitude like that, you must be in ADVERTISING!

;-)

Hi Thax!

I appreciate the jab about advertising. Maybe I should consider it ;-) I guess my less than enthusiastic attitude about it is because for the last year it has been the monkey on my back that won't go away (and unfortunately, its demise was related to a project that was also the monkey on my back that wouldn't go away)! I guess I didn't hide my feelings very well ;-)

Thanks for the info about Ebay. I will probably do that, but I will first post it on the COW classifieds as Rennie suggested. I think I'll take lots of detail pix and hope that someone who might be interested in it will be able to tell from the pictures what they need to know. The funny thing is that my advertising attitude aside, it doesn't really LOOK bad.

Thanks again for your answer!

Michael

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Jul 27, 2006 at 4:15:09 pm

Also, why not post it right here on the cow classifieds, lots of us check it regularly. Sounds like the viewfinder, lens, battery mount or battery system may be in tact so you never know what it's worth to someone. It would help if you knew what you want to get though but you can leave it open to offers. Good luck!

"everything is broken"

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Jul 27, 2006 at 4:18:20 pm

You can do an advanced search on ebay and select Completed listings only. see if any of them are similer in condition to yours and set the pricing similer to those

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on Jul 27, 2006 at 4:20:53 pm

I have no idea what your machine looks like or what it can do but if the camera and lens still work and you have FW or composite out, keep it! Put it on a tripod and use an external deck. You have now become a facility that can do multicamera shoots.

Or get your buddies together with some nice wine and tiny tools and take it apart.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Michael Kellam
on Jul 28, 2006 at 3:05:05 pm

Hi Bogiesan,

It did occur to me to do something like that, although I don't have a lens for it. Unfortunately, it was a borrowed camera and when I bought it, the owner wanted to keep the lens. Still, if the price is too low, it might be a consideration.

I personally like the tiny tools idea. I had an engineer tinker with it for a while and he managed to get the tape out. I'd like to look at the tape just to see the last moments of the camera... I don't know why. I guess I'd just like to see the "Money Shot" ;-)

Thanks again!

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Kellam
on Jul 28, 2006 at 3:01:25 pm

Thanks, zrb123. I'll check over there to see if I can get a good idea about its value. That will be a great help. Thanks for suggesting it!

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Kellam
on Jul 28, 2006 at 2:58:49 pm

Hi Rennie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll start there. Yes, I need to figure out what I'd like to get for it and I'll post it with pictures.
I forgot about the COW classifieds. I guess I just don't sell t hings often enough ;-)

Thanks again!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]