FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting sequence aspect problem with DVX200 import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Flightmaster
Interesting sequence aspect problem with DVX200 import
on May 25, 2006 at 3:51:17 am

Hi All,

So we are starting editing on a larger project shot on the wondeful DVX200, and we just moved our systems to FCP/Shake for editing and compositing. We shot the footage 720p (1280 by 720 pixels using the DVCPRO HD 720p60 codec). It was shot native 24p at a 16:9 ratio. After import, our files are all looking fine in storage in their core .mov format and they index at the above stats. However, after importing into FCP, for some reason they suddenly represent themselves as 960 by 720 pixel aspect (and frame ratio). The image aspect seem to project fine in the viewer (similar to opening the raw media in Quicktime), yet this stat concerns me. I have tried to monkey around with the settings in "Sequence Settings", but the lack of a straight up 1280 by 720 HD setting has me wondering if I am missing something fundamental.

Has anyone else seen the same issue? Any clarity would be much appreciated!

Best Wishes
Chris
Landroval Studios

Christian T. Petersen
G5 Quad, 4 Gig Ram, Nvidia 4000 Quad
HVX200, FCP, SHAKE

Return to posts index

Flightmaster
Re: Interesting sequence aspect problem with DVX200 import
on May 25, 2006 at 4:37:23 am

Of course I mean the HVX200 :-)

cP

Christian T. Petersen
HVX200, FCP, SHAKE

Return to posts index

Lars Bunch
on May 25, 2006 at 2:22:05 pm

Hi,

I may not be understanding the nature of your question, so forgive me if I'm stating stuff you're already familar with.

The DVCProHD codec is designed to display in 16x9 (1280x720) but the file that is actually recorded is anamorphic. The pixels are stretched out horizontally so that a 4x3 frame aspect ratio becomes a 16x9 frame aspect. This is the same for 16x9 SD video. This is all normal.

In some cases you might have to check the anamorphic field in the inport bin in FCP to make sure the shot displays in 16x9. This is particularly important when you are bringing in animations.

I hope this answers your question.

Lars

Return to posts index

Flightmaster
on May 26, 2006 at 2:49:19 am

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the reply. Even though I may not have made my situation completely clear, I think that your answer may still be on track.

As far as we can tell, the problem lies in the new Quicktime 7.1. Prior to the update it would recognize 720p DVCPROHD files as 1280 by 720 format, after the 7.1 update, it is recognizing them as 960 by 720 format. FCP takes this QT interpretation as it imports the files (without rerender) for placement in sequence. I assume that this is simply a matter of the new QT recognizing the anamorphic dimensions, but not accounting for the 16:9 stretch.

Despite this strange QT interpretation of the files, the files are still playing fine and view fine as 1280 by 720, and import into Shake as standard 1280 by 720. We have decided to ignore the strange labeling as it does not seem to affect the files or the output in any way.

I hope that this makes sense, and I do very much appreciate your reply.

Best Wishes,
cP
Landroval

Christian T. Petersen
HVX200, FCP, SHAKE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]