FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to MPEG2 High bit rate

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Curle
FCP to MPEG2 High bit rate
on Feb 22, 2006 at 6:08:50 pm

A TV station I am involved with has two FCP suites.
They need it to output 12Mb/sec MPEG2 CBR files for the PlayBox Station Automation equipment.
Compressor only goes up to 8Mb/sec.
Does anybody have a solution?

Return to posts index

videomansf
Re: FCP to MPEG2 High bit rate
on Feb 22, 2006 at 6:22:03 pm

Most of the MPEG2 playback video servers for broadcast deliver content at 0.512Mbit/sex to 1.5Mbit/sec. HD content is delivered at 19Mbits/sec. 12Mbit is well beyond DVD's maximum of 10Mbit and seems impractical to me. Are you sure that your info is correct?
VM

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Feb 22, 2006 at 7:08:36 pm

I think MegaPegX can do this. Digigami.com

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Feb 22, 2006 at 9:25:11 pm

DVD encoders are not used for this type of work. The MPEG-2 streams used in broadcast distribution typically are encoded at a bitrate around 10 - 25 Mb/s. Also you need to know whether you need a transport stream or a program stream, plus the MPEG-2 level and profile required. You can use machines like Telestream, Anystream or Digital Rapids for his type of encoding. Also there are a few manufacturers that make computer boards for this purpose.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

David Curle
on Feb 22, 2006 at 11:27:58 pm

Yes this is MPEG2 Program stream at 12Mb/sec. It is data streamed over a microwave then transmitted on a UHF channel. It does not use Satellite. I just wondered if I was Missing something as all the other Stations I have been at, use Edius Broadcast SDI Edit suites that have Procoder 2 built into them and you can have any Bit rate you wish. The encoding is very fast as these machines use Dual Dualcore Opterons and the encoding is distributed to the CPUs. By fast i mean it can encode a 90 minute DV Timeline to MPEG2 Programstream in 10.5 minutes.
I thought FCP could do something professional also. There is a visible diference between 8Mb/sec and 12Mb/sec.

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Feb 23, 2006 at 5:42:23 pm

Remember good ole' "Cleaner" from Discreet/Autodesk? It will do exactly what you need. It will encode MPEG2 up to 20Mbps. I use it to encode high bitrate MPEG2 for delivery via FastChannel. I have version 6, so I don't know about any other version. The only downside is that you really don't have a practical way to properly view the encode. It will look trashy when you play it back via Quicktime, but it will be right when played from a hardware MPEG2 board.

Chris Tomberlin
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

dave kulawick
on Feb 23, 2006 at 7:14:14 pm

yo, troll, see the discrete editors thread wherein you posed the self-same question, without the "professional" dig and you'll read the following.

you could export a QT reference file from FCP and using something other than compressor to do the encoding. Can your Opteron box convert QT to MPEG-2?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]