FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual core, dual processor, blah blah purchase question help

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gregg brent
Dual core, dual processor, blah blah purchase question help
on Oct 21, 2005 at 4:01:00 pm

I have a G5 1.6ghz single processor. The occasional encoding using FlipForMac and exporting from QT to WMV is a bitch! My boss gave go ahead to upgrade. I'm not waiting for intel.

Question: Any opinion as to better to buy tried and tested Dual 2ghz G5 for under 2grand with upgraded Graphics card (ATI or Nvidia...want to play with Motion) OR jump in and buy one of the 'stepchild' 2.3 dual core which is untried??

I Want to Place Order within a day or two!

Use mostly AE, some FCP, playing with Motion and DVD SP. Just capture occasionally from DVcam but more for fun, not work related. We're editing from client clips mostly.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Dual core, dual processor, blah blah purchase question help
on Oct 21, 2005 at 4:32:59 pm

Well, I'd have to go for the new ones, the dual cores. You know Apple. They won't release something until it works.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2005 at 4:40:00 pm

Gregg,

Since they haven't shipped yet, how could anyone here really know the answer to your question?

DRW

Return to posts index

gregg brent
on Oct 21, 2005 at 7:03:30 pm

>>Gregg,

Since they haven't shipped yet, how could anyone here really know the answer to your question?

DRW<<

Just looking for opinions from people who have far more experience than me in purchasing hardware to work with certain software, etc. No one else in my company deals with any Mac stuff so my resources for figuring out what to buy are limited to internet. I find these boards to have the people with most knowledge on this.

Return to posts index

Richard Boghosian
on Oct 21, 2005 at 5:55:07 pm

No go. I just called Apple to place my order, but the Quads don't work with an ATTO UL4D, nor will it work with the Kona 2!!!!!!!!! AJA has their new product available, but no SCSI raid controller from Atto. What are they thinking???, Perhaps a video iPod, yes that's good.

Richard Boghosian
Bogh AV Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2005 at 6:14:04 pm

I would also assume that for the time being there are no compatible SATA cards either. Or, by chance, has Apple built-in an external SATA I/O??? I'll have to check on that...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 21, 2005 at 6:19:40 pm

Actually, the Apple website does indicate the dual core Powermacs have built-in SATA I/O. It says:

Integrated I/O
Serial ATA, FireWire, USB, audio, and wireless technologies are integrated through two bidirectional 800MHz HyperTransport interconnects for a maximum throughput of 1.6 GBps, providing ample throughput for a host of peripheral devices.

Return to posts index

Bryan Shelton
on Oct 21, 2005 at 7:49:17 pm

If you want to use your machine right away, go with tried and tested. Since none of the Apple apps support multi-threading at this point, dual core vs. single core is a moot point unless you are building a test machine for the future. Spend the money on a better video card.

Return to posts index

mus man
on Oct 21, 2005 at 8:14:36 pm

Are you sure they don't already support multiple cores? MitchJi wrote in a thread just below this:

"Most of the applications that are important to us (FCP for example) already support multiple processors. Unless the programmers intentionly cripled their code programs that support dual processors will also support 4."

This was kind of the question I had asked about a couple days ago whether FCP takes full advantage of the quad. The scores on the Apple site seem to show that it does. But I'm a newbie, so I could be confused.

Return to posts index

MitchJi
Re: Dual core, dual processor
on Oct 21, 2005 at 11:40:43 pm

[Bryan Shelton] "Since none of the Apple apps support multi-threading at this point, dual core vs. single core is a moot point unless you are building a test machine for the future."

Hi.

This is NOT correct. How do you think they take advantage of Dual Processors on the previous Dual Processor models?

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on Oct 21, 2005 at 11:49:34 pm

[gregg brent] "Question: Any opinion as to better to buy tried and tested Dual 2ghz G5 for under 2grand with upgraded Graphics card (ATI or Nvidia...want to play with Motion) OR jump in and buy one of the 'stepchild' 2.3 dual core which is untried??"

Hi,

The Dual Core 2.3 will perform a little better (maybe 10 or 15 percent) so I think the main factors are price and graphics card (particularly for motion).

RAM costs a little less for the Dual Core Models.

Another issue is PCI-E vs PCI-X. If you have existing PCI-X cards you want to use or if you need a card that is not currently available as PCI-E then you need the older model. On the other hand if you are going to be buying cards and can wait a while you would be better off getting a Dual Core model because the cards will be less likely to become obsolete when you upgrade your Powermac.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]