FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Output Video on External Monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Wilcox
Can't Output Video on External Monitor
on Aug 17, 2005 at 9:39:46 pm

I've had this problem over and over and see that someone else had it again just today too. I also have seen that there are many stock answers. I've tried them all, and usually one works. Sorry to bring it up again, but this time I've done the whole raft: All frames, DV Firewire settings, no Log and Capture, Fit to Window, etc etc etc. Here's the problem now: when I play the timeline, my external monitor only shows the last frame where the timeline stopped. It won't PLAY all frames of the timeline. Is this a clue to yet another setting that I've overlooked? Is there one MORE way that it's possible to screw up at this basic level?

Susan

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
Re: Can't Output Video on External Monitor
on Aug 17, 2005 at 9:48:19 pm

Oh, I doubt that you tried the whole list. (Pay special attention to Number 3, 4 and 9.)

This list contains about everything to try to enable:
a. External Monitor VIDEO and AUDIO via FireWire & DV deck or camcorder.
b. Viewing in the Canvas window on the computer screen.
c. Being able to record on the external FW DV deck or camcorder.

Try things in this order until you find the "cure":

1. Make sure you have only ONE (1) FireWire deck, camcorder, DV capture "card", or D-to-A converter or video device attached to the computer at a time. Any more than one DV device can cause loss of signal and control.
2. Make sure you have View (Menu) > External Video> All Frames set.
(If the ALL FRAMES option is grayed-out... jump to step 6 below and continue.)
3. Make SURE your Canvas window (right window) in FCP is set to "Fit to Window"... AND that it has not been "pushed off" the edge of the computer screen.
4. Make sure your CANVAS View Menu (Box Icon with broken sides) is checked on Image or Image+Wireframe... NOT just Wireframe.
5. Make sure your CANVAS View Menu is checked on RGB... NOT just Alpha.
6. Make sure your Final Cut Pro (menu) > Easy Setup... is set for DV-NTSC (or DV-PAL, if that's where you are).
7. Some camcorders/decks work better under "FW (NTSC/PAL)" -or- "FW (NTSC/PAL) Basic" control (in the capture settings). Try either setting to see which works best for your device.
8. Make sure your Final Cut Pro (menu) > Audio/Video Settings > A/V Devices (tab) > Mirror on Desktop > must be CHECKED. (If not, playing video will not appear in the Canvas.)
9. Make sure the "Log and Capture" Window is CLOSED and not just "hidden" behind other windows.
10. Turn off the power to the Camera/Deck/Converter Box, then turn it back ON.
11. Make sure the camera is in VTR mode... or the deck is in DV (DV, iLink, or FW) input.
12. On a Sony camcorder or deck, make sure the menu setting "A/V > DV Out" is set to OFF.
13. Re-check that your FW cable is well-connected at both ends (or try a new cable).
14. Important: Quit FCP, then Restart FCP.
15. Now again, make sure you have View > External Video > ALL FRAMES set...

If it still does not work. "Trash" the FCP Preferences on the Mac
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/trashing_fcp_prefs.html

"FCP Rescue" is a free Apple Script that will Trash the Preferences.
It will also restore your user settings afterwards.
Download:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14729

>Then, start again at my "step 1" above.
And, you should always MIXDOWN your audio before you play your sequence.
First, SELECT ALL of your audio tracks (highlight them) on the timeline, then:

Sequence Menu > Render Only > Mixdown.

This can help with all kinds of "sticking" playback problems, audio and/or video.

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Aug 17, 2005 at 10:57:55 pm

Rob,

Thanks for the list again--it has grown by one since the last time I downloaded it. I think #1 may be the additional step. However, there is one more at the end, which might be inserted more in the middle, that is the audio mixdown. I had not done that to the program, so it is the only one that I haven't done several times over. It didn't change anything and I still can't play the image. Well, here's a more exact breakdown of any discrepencies I had when I went through it this time.

4. I learned that if I am on "Image" only, even the still image in the monitor goes away. If I change to "image and Wireframe," I get the still back.

7. If I change to FW (NTSC) Basic, the system automatically goes back to FW (NTSC).

12. My Sonly DSR-30 deck doesn't have a menu setting for DV Out OFF. I only have the FW port that says DV In/Out.

Could I have a sticky system somewhere else? I have a Mac G5 with FW into the Sony DSR-30 and cables from it to the external monitor. However, I have other cables there too as my old system is also hooked up to the deck, and it includes a switcher. This setup has worked in the past--which is what really irks me. (I've tried all the combinations of switcheer settings too.) Then I didn't use it for a month because of travel and now I can't get the picture going again!

I appreciate your patience and help! Susan

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
on Aug 18, 2005 at 11:37:26 am

Your symptoms absolutely match that you do NOT have the Canvas Window (the right-hand window on the computer screen) set to "Fit to Window". (And/or that you have the Canvas window adjusted too LARGE for your computer processor to handle.)
Did you, in fact, check the "Fit to Window"?

How is your FCP window layout?
Do you only use one computer monitor?
Do you have the Viewer and the Canvas side-by-side and above the timeline? (Its not a requirement, but I'd like to get a feel for your layout.)

Try this:
Window (menu) > Arrange > Save Window Layout > (Name this something you can remember).
This will save your layout so that you can restore it if this test does not work.

Next choose:
Window (menu) > Arrange > Standard
(This will pop everything to a single screen and arranged to a basic layout.)
Now, go to the Canvas settings and make sure to check "Fit to Window".

Try playing the timeline and observe the external monitor.
A. If everything's OK, manually rearrange the windows to roughly how you like them and see if it still works. If so... done!

B. If the timeline still won't play normally, you have some hidden problem that has me stumped. (The list has never failed.)

Please post back... I'm with you on this.

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Aug 18, 2005 at 3:32:12 pm

Rob,

Thanks for taking me seriously! Mixed results. Keep reading. Yes, I absolutely have checked Fit to Window every time. I've also moved the Canvas over so tht I can see desktop to the right. I even played around with making the window smaller, like 25%. The layout I normally use is the standard one, though I don't activate it by using the menu. The Viewer and Canvas are side-by-side right above the timeline. I have only one monitor.

This morning I followed your directions and saved my layout then did the standard one. The monitor still froze on one frame. Then I thought to open a different project. Lo and behold, the timeline played on the external monitor! Going back to the original program, it froze! Returning to the new one, it played. Can the one program be corrupt?

Here's a thought. I worked on this program last spring and can't remember exactly how it looked in the Canvas when I was editing it but it did appear in the monitor so I could edit. I made a DVD with it. However, when I recently tried to back the program up to tape, it appeared in the canvas in letterbox format. The frozen frame on the monitor is also letterbox. I don't remember if the letterbox format has ever played normally for me. I think it did but can't swear to it. And I don't remember doing anything to it to cause this. The DVD I made last spring, however, fills the screen in normal 4:3 format.

The second program that I opened that DOES play on the monitor does NOT appear as letterbox in the Canvas or in the monitor.

Any further thoughts? I am greatly relieved that I can continue working on other programs! It would be good to know what happened to the original program so that I can prevent it from happening to others.

And thanks for sticking with me. Perhaps this could generate information for someone else who is as baffled as I am.

Susan

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
 georg
Unable to use the specifiied Video Output device!
on Aug 21, 2005 at 5:19:07 pm

Thanks for this very informative thread. Unfortunately the list and the above mentioned remedies did not help me with my problem, witch is basically the same only it is in several projects and I have had it before changing to FCP 5 and Tiger!
The video appears for a few seconds in the camera or monitor before it disappears to grey squares or blue.
New in FCP 5 I get the above error message saying :"It may be in use by another application, incorrectly connected or may be conflicting with a sound input device."

I unplugged all fw devices, unplugged th powercord of the G5 for a night, updated to qt701, and finally I

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
Re: Unable to use the specifiied Video Output device!
on Aug 21, 2005 at 11:31:25 pm

[ georg] " and a EyeTV fw TV device"

What kind of hardware/software operates that unit?

I suspect that it should NOT be connected (and any of it's software uninstalled/disabled, at least to check) when running FCP.

You say you unplugged all FW devices...

Did you LEAVE EVERY other FW device UNplugged...
EXCEPT for your Sony Deck (I mean EVERY FW device)?

Then, leave the deck ON, quit FCP, restart FCP and make sure View > External ALL FRAMES is selected.

If that works, continue slowly plugging FW drives back in, one-at-a-time, constantly checking to see how FCP monitors.

If you can't get FCP to send moving images out the FW to the deck, I'd suspect a bad FW port on either the Mac or the deck.

I'd also borrow ANY other FW camcorder (even a home video DV camcorder) and see if THAT unit in VCR mode works (using my CHECK-LIST to make sure of everyting) even if your deck still refuses.

There was another recent thread where the poster discovered it was his DV device (camcorder) not working, not FCP.
He found out by borrowing another camcorder.

Return to posts index

georg
on Aug 22, 2005 at 4:44:12 pm

It

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Aug 22, 2005 at 5:38:23 pm

Georg,

Sounds as if your problems viewing your timeline playback are mysterious too, but I suspect for different reasons than mine. I'm sure there are answers for us but because of different setups and equipment, they appear to have no explanation. At least I am able to work on other programs, although I don't know what caused my one program to go south. I hope you find some clues to your problem. I appreciate Rob and these users with more experience and knowledge trying to help us over these obstacles that are so frustrating. Susan

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
on Aug 21, 2005 at 11:35:37 pm

AND...

Georg, did you look at this fix?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301852

Return to posts index

Robert Martin
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:18:55 pm

This may or may not help. I had the same problem of video freezing on the last frame that was viewed when the CTI was stopped. I went through the list of possible fixes and still not making any progress. With all that said I started a new project and then opened older projects to find my problem was gone. When I reopened the project I was originally working on, the problem came back. Could some project files be getting corrupted? Is Apple aware of the issue?

Robert Martin

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:48:36 pm

[Robert Martin] " Is Apple aware of the issue? "

This thread is from about 5 years ago.

Let's hope that similar issues have been addresses in the interim since 2005.

Return to posts index

Robert Martin
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:59:03 pm

Sorry, I guess I overlooked that minor detail.

Robert Martin

Return to posts index

Matthew Harnick
on Jul 6, 2010 at 4:32:42 am

Rob - perhaps you're still in the know about this issue. I am having problems printing to tape. Using FCP 7 & a Sony M15AU deck. Cannot switch to 'all frames' under external video. Deck is connected fine, captures with no problem - just can't output to tape. Any ideas - and I appreciate any you'll have. Too frustrating.

Matt

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:54:55 pm

HDV is not playable in real-time out thru the FW.

Return to posts index

Matthew Harnick
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:56:51 pm

That would explain a lot. So I'll ask your advice then on archiving HDV footage - other than going to blu-ray. What are my options?

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
on Jul 6, 2010 at 3:54:40 pm

You CAN output to an HDV deck and tape using FW.
It is just (as I said) not a constant REAL TIME playback as DV is.

Return to posts index

Matthew Harnick
on Jul 6, 2010 at 4:13:02 pm

If it's not a real-time playback...what is it exactly? Sorry - after 15 years in video I find myself a newbie in this one area! And - if you're amenable, I'd love to get an idea of how to do it, since I cannot. Again, completely connected, FCP recognizes the deck and I can capture just fine...just printing is the problem. Much obliged.

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
on Jul 6, 2010 at 8:20:41 pm

You're really in the wrong COW forum and asking the wrong question.

You want to do a search for "HDV print to tape."
Should be lots of info there.

Or re-post your question in the following forums-

http://forums.creativecow.net/hdvformat

http://forums.creativecow.net/applefinalcutbasics

Return to posts index

Billie Lofland
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:10:52 pm

Rob,

Thanks so much for your list. After switching from a Firewire to AV setup in FCP, I couldn't see the timeline in my monitor. Checked cables to AJA card, no luck--panic was setting in. Then I found your post. Solution 2 was the answer to my problems.

Return to posts index

Emilio Santero
on Mar 14, 2016 at 4:53:36 pm

Still life-saving 11 years after!

Thanks Rob!

Il dolce fare tutti.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]