FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Partition for FCP6 on 2012 MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Waldron
Creating Partition for FCP6 on 2012 MacBook Pro
on Sep 7, 2019 at 9:52:41 pm

Hi,
I'm currently running the core FCP 6.0.5 app without issues on a 2012 MacBook that uses El Capitan 10.11.6. However, I need to access some of the FCP support apps, particularly Motion and Color, which do not work under El Capitan.

Based on what I've read in other threads on CC, I will probably need to create a partition on my MacBook Pro drive and create a bootable drive on that partition using an older Mac OS that will run the full FCP studio app, including Motion and Color.

In anticipation, I just purchased a much larger (2 TB) SSD for my MacBook and plan to swap it into my computer before I create the new partition. Once I've done that, does anyone have a recommendation of which older Mac OS I should install on my newly created partition. I assume I should load the most recent version of Mac OS that will run the full FCP studio suite. Since my computer was made in 2012, I'm guessing there won't be compatibility issues loading an older Mac OS on a discrete partitioned drive, right?

Also, how large should I make the partition? It will have to be big enough to hold the Mac OS plus FCP and its associated apps.

Once I get the FCP up and running on my partitioned drive, I plan to "save" my edited FCP files to my everyday drive that runs El Capitan. Is that crazy?

Thanks for any and all insights!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Creating Partition for FCP6 on 2012 MacBook Pro
on Sep 8, 2019 at 7:08:35 pm

The oldest OS you can run on that computer is 10.8. That's the OS that was released when that computer was built, and you can't install an OS made earlier than the computer.

128GB would be the minimum I'd go for an OS install. If you plan on the OS and just a few apps for that OS. Many current laptops can get by fine with 128GB (Most AIRS).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vince Waldron
on Sep 9, 2019 at 10:50:49 am

Actually, looks like my Mac dates from early 2011, which means I can go as far back as Snow Leopard, assuming I can find a SL installer!

I do have MT LION installer available in the past purchases section of the app store. Does Mountain Lion run Color and Motion?

Also, if I install Mt. Lion, will I be able to do a clean install of FCP 6 using the FCP install DVDs? I suspect Mt. Lion will refuse to reject the install disc as an unreadable PowerPC app, no?

Thanks for any insights!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 10, 2019 at 12:55:28 am

[Vince Waldron] "Also, if I install Mt. Lion, will I be able to do a clean install of FCP 6 using the FCP install DVDs?"

See, I know about FCP 7 compatiblity...not sure about 6. That's TWO years older, version wise. Not sure how that will work. Only know about 7.

[Vince Waldron] "Also, if I install Mt. Lion, will I be able to do a clean install of FCP 6 using the FCP install DVDs? I suspect Mt. Lion will refuse to reject the install disc as an unreadable PowerPC app, no?"

No. FCP 5.1 and up were the Intel versions of the app. 5.0 was the last of the PowerPC versions.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Vince Waldron
on Sep 10, 2019 at 11:52:12 am

Thanks for clarifying the PowerPC issue! For some reason, Lion refused to load FCP 6 from the original DVDs and gave me the "PowerPC" restriction alert. But clearly, that's some sort of bug, since the same FCP install disc loads fine in my El Capitan partition.)

As it happens, I found Snow Leopard install discs at Apple's online store, which, remarkably, will still sell the full SL install package to anyone who wants it for $19.99!

Return to posts index

Vince Waldron
on Sep 12, 2019 at 11:30:21 pm

On your advice, I tracked down a full FCP Studio 3 install package, which should be arriving later today. If, as it appears might be the case, Lion is the earliest OS I can install on my early 2011 MacBook, do you think I'll have any trouble loading and running Color and Motion from FCS 3 in that environment?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 13, 2019 at 12:51:56 am

IN Lion? Nah, you'll be good. Did you get Lion installed?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Vince Waldron
on Sep 13, 2019 at 7:51:45 am

Yeah, Shane, getting Lion was easier than I thought. Turns out it was the default OS that my computer chose to load when I re-booted it the emergency recovery mode. Based on what you told me, I made a clean install of Lion on the partition I earlier created as a dedicated FCP disc.

Now all I have to do is install the new FCP Studio 3 software I just got in the mail.

Before I do, I have to ask: is it possible FCP Studio 3 will work in the El Capitan 10.11.6 I have on my main drive? I know FCP 6.0.5 worked fine on that drive--it was just the ancillary apps, like Color, Motion, and DVDSP that failed to work.

I know it's a long shot, but do you think I'd have any better luck getting Color and Motion to work in 10.11.6 if I install them from a Studio 3 package?

Best,

Vince

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]