FORUMS: list search recent posts

Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave >

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john oshea
Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave >
on Apr 26, 2019 at 1:28:33 pm

How would i be able to install and run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.12 Sierra & MacOS 10.13 High Sierra and MacOS 10.14 Mojave going forward even though this software is no longer supported by Apple? It has been since been replaced by Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor in July 2011.

What is the procedures i have to follow so i can run this Final Cut Studio version 3 (System Preferences etc)?

(Final Cut Pro 7 – "real-time editing for DV, SD and HD”) (Motion 4 - "real-time motion graphics design”) (Soundtrack Pro 3 - "advanced audio editing and sound design”) (DVD Studio Pro 4 - encoding, authoring and burning.) (Color 1.5 - a new color grading application adapted from Silicon Color's FinalTouch.) (Compressor 3.5 - a video encoding tool for outputting projects in different formats.) (Cinema Tools 4.5 - tools specific to film processing.) (Qmaster 3 - a distributed processing tool.)

I intend to do my projects using Mac Pro (Late 2013) With the following configuration:

Model number A1481
Model identifier MacPro6,1
Processor 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
Connectivity - AirPort Extreme 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (up to 1.3 Gbit/s), 2× Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0
Peripherals - 4 x USB 3.0, Built-in mono speaker, 6 x Thunderbolt 2, Audio output/optical digital audio output, Headphone mini-jack
Video out - HDMI 1.4 and Thunderbolt 2

I want to use Ultrastudio 3D for capture and playback feature film quality SDI, HDMI and analog video via Thunderbolt, and use a Lacie Little Big Disk 1TB SSD as a scratch disk, and Apple Thunderbolt Display (2560 x 1440) as a monitor, and Edirol MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitor as well as Fostex PMO.5 - Sub MKII for sound audio.

I await advice before i proceed any further

Kind Regards

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Run Final Cut Studio 3 on MacOS 10.14 Mojave >
on Apr 26, 2019 at 6:07:29 pm

You can't. Keep a separate partition or another drive with an older OS that supports FCP Studio 3.

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Apr 27, 2019 at 2:16:16 am

John,
I don't think it will run under Mojave.
I keep an "old" MBP running OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion which I think was the last OS to officially support FCP7.
Though I heard it would run under a slightly later OS.
Partition is a plan, then the trick is to get a copy of OS Mountain Lion.
Resolve runs under my current Mojave . . .
Good luck,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 28, 2019 at 5:28:41 am

You have to partition your hard drive, use an earlier OS, and then use your software that's been DEAD FOR DAMN NEAR NINE YEARS!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Damien Molineaux
on May 3, 2019 at 11:12:01 pm

Final Cut Suite is NOT DEAD.
Hence all these questions as many people are still using these applications. Applications in use are not dead.
I'm currently editing a DVD, on DVD Studio Pro, with 3.5 hours of video, 28 menus, 3 films and 73 stories and last but not least, 101 scripts. It's a complex archival DVD of Noemi Lapzeson, a famous dancer's teaching method.
Cheers,
Damien

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2019 at 4:27:22 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 4, 2019 at 5:00:15 pm

[Damien Molineaux] "Final Cut Suite is NOT DEAD."

A few facts:
FCS3 was released in 2009.
The last operating system guaranteed to run it was Mountain Lion, OS 10.8.6, released in 2012.
NO new Apple computer will run either.

So unless you want to use a legacy machine, it might as well be dead.

[Damien Molineaux] "Applications in use are not dead."

I'm sure there are machines somewhere that can still run code written in Fortran or COBOL, but I doubt people still use them for productive purposes. Hey, that happens to computers.

[Damien Molineaux] "Hence all these questions as many people are still using these applications. "

They're stuck in the past. So am I -- I happily maintain a nice, older machine (for 2011 standards). it runs Windows 7. On it I have functioning, complete, paid-up versions of Adobe CS4 and CS 5.5. It's a legacy machine -- but it can still create files that are useful yet today. Who knows how long that will remain true? Even if certain file types become useless, I'll be able to do things for my own enjoyment, but eventually I won't be able to share anything I make on it.
Incidentally, I used to run FCS3 at a different job seven years ago. I have a new job where I run Avid and Adobe CC 2017, and my employer pays the rent on both.

[Damien Molineaux] "It's a complex archival DVD of Noemi Lapzeson, a famous dancer's teaching method."

While I complement you on your tireless work, my questions follow: in ten years' time, how will you be able to USE this DVD? How will you play it? It has to be standard-definition, because it's part of the DVD technical standard. How many SD TV sets still remain in the world? How many DVD players? How many DVD-compatible Blu-Ray players, which are fast becoming an endangered species?

When they came out with digital media, no one's eyes were set on archiving or preservation; they only thought about the Next Best Thing. There was no regard for the growing amount of digital media the Next Best Thing would make obsolete.
I recommend you invest in the proper hardware to play this DVD. In time, you may be one of the few individuals with the ability to even access your project.

If this is the first time you've been confronted by these harsh realities, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Damien Molineaux
on May 4, 2019 at 10:20:00 pm

Hi Dave,

I know all that. Longevity (of my work) is one of my many concerns. I am also making masters in HD and researching how to make an on-line version, at the same time, an interactive website is even less likely to still be accessible in ten years time. I am in the business (among others) of making DVDs, and the reality is that I'm still getting regular orders of DVDs. As I'm mastering this one, I have an order for 200 copies of another project. Since the begining of the year I've burned 1000 DVDs and I'm out of stock right now I have to make a new order. I've also had a factory press of 1000 copies for another client. I'm not pushing DVDs, I just answer demand.

I do think however, and this is what I'm told also, DVD remains the most easy to use and reliable way to distribute moving images at an international level. Many countries have slow internet access, and old computers that cannot read all this high quality, high bitrate videos that are online now.

Some of the obsolence of computers, OS and software is artificial, to make us shell out money. I still had a perfectly functioning iPhone 4 until last year when I lost it and a 7 year old MacBook Pro, which I had boosted with ram and an SSD, which finally broke down and Apple does not provide replacement parts, but the machine is still capable, and I work with video, which is demanding. I may yet have it repaired via an independant service. I've also decided to upgrade a 2010 MacPro, I will have a more powerfull MacPro than the latest MacPro, for approximately $700, with 12 cores, 96 GB ram, an 500 GB SSD + 3 slots internal HD bays, a Vega 64 card + 3 PCI slots (one with a USB 3 card). So no I don't buy into being told that FCS 3 or certain hardware and software too old and out of date. If it works and allow me to to what I need, that's it.

Cheers,
Damien

Return to posts index

Mark Ivey
on May 4, 2019 at 7:18:38 pm

Final Cut Pro 7 will run on MacOSX 10.12 Sierra but Motion 4 which installs with it, will not. However, it won't affect your ability to run the program without issue.

If you want to run Motion 5 you will need to install it first, then create a copy of it from your Applications directory to another storage device and delete Motion 5.

Then install FCP7 which will install Motion 4 in the root of Applications. You can then create a folder in the root of your Application directory and name it. I named mine Motion 5.

Copy Motion 5 to that folder and you can run it to create files that will run in FCP7; and run FCP7 without the version conflicts.

Unfortunately, I am not running any of the other programs you are in question about. However, if you want to simply retain all those programs and not be concerned with whether or not Mojave or future version will break them. I'd suggest purchasing VM Ware Fusion for Mac.

I'm a Software Engineer and have used the program for years because I have to support software that inevitably won't run at some point in time on newer versions of any OS. I also use it because I don't like being forced to pay out more $$$ to run programs for which work perfectly fine aside from Corporate updates. The whole upgrading thing and killing support for prior applications is just a money making scheme in my honest opinion. It doesn't have to be that way but unfortunately, money is always the driving force behind many decisions in the corporate world. I know because I'm been in Corporate meetings and know the routine. But it is what it is.

You can get VM Ware Fusion from https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/fusion-evaluation.html

Once you install it you can install any OS version of your choice in a virtual environment and load all your software in that environment to run at any time you choose without having to worry about the OS version updates on your computer. You can also run it in Unity mode which gives you the feel of running any combination of applications under the OS version installed on your system.

That would really be the way to go.

Of course, the caveat to all that is; VM Ware fusion updates it software as well. Lol.

But it's updates won't stop you from running the programs you enjoy in the environments that support it.

Good Luck and hope that helps! 😊

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]