FORUMS: list search recent posts

creating MP4 from Pro Res FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Fifield
creating MP4 from Pro Res FCP7
on Dec 5, 2018 at 4:32:58 pm

Hi, PLEASE can someone help me - I have a very old version of FCP7 and an equally old iMac. I have lots of full concerts sitting in FCP7 projects which I need to convert to MP4s. I have followed several tutorials on how to do this but they always end up unusable quality? Just a blur basically! I really would appreciate any help that is out there. Many Thanks in hopes and prayers!!!
Brian

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: creating MP4 from Pro Res FCP7
on Dec 5, 2018 at 7:51:44 pm

MPEG STREAMCLIP can do this. Either compress the ProRes export, or, if you have an H.264 MOV file from Compressor, it can save it into an MP4 container.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 5, 2018 at 8:49:34 pm

Mpeg Streamclip FTW.

Though the free FLV Crunch and VLC might also work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2018 at 9:43:12 pm

Handbrake will do it.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 5, 2018 at 10:05:22 pm

ff mpeg too.

Or the easier ffWorks, if you don't do command-line interfaces

Return to posts index

Brian Fifield
on Dec 6, 2018 at 10:43:23 am

Hi, again, I don't think I explained myself clearly enough. My problem is I want to make an MP4 directly from the FCP7 project. I don't want to go down the long tedious route of exporting my project to QuickTime movie file first and then creating an MP4.

Return to posts index

Brian Fifield
on Dec 6, 2018 at 2:58:38 pm

Thank you for your help - but how can I do this direct from FCP7 project? I don't have time to export them all first and then drop them into MPEG Streamclip or Handbrake.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 6, 2018 at 6:27:48 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 6, 2018 at 6:35:59 pm

Sorry, but you'll have to MAKE the time. It's the only workflow available to you. Export the video files from FCP in ProRes 422, and use one of the above-mentioned apps to transcode.

I don't think I have to remind you that you're working with software that was killed off seven years ago. It simply doesn't have the capability to make files in media containers and codecs that were developed after it died. People have moved on to other software, and no developer has tried to breathe new life into this already-dead application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Fifield
on Dec 7, 2018 at 10:00:33 am

Thank you Dave, that is what I thought the answer might be but was hoping it wasn't! Yes I am struggling to keep things running, as the whole system is way past it's sell-by-date. Thank you again for this advice - now I know what I must do ☺
Brian

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2018 at 9:09:03 pm

Yeah, sorry, you have to make the time. You can't export MP4 directly from FCP...not even SEND TO COMPRESSOR will make an MP4. This software you are using is very old, 10+ years at this point, and at the time, MP4 wasn't a necessity, so Apple didn't do it. NOW they do, with current software. But yeah, older stuff...you're going to need to make time for this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 6, 2018 at 9:30:26 pm

If you render everything, then export a reference movie, a Handbrake encode should go very quickly.

Return to posts index

Brian Fifield
on Dec 7, 2018 at 10:25:45 am

Okay I got it - thank you Shane for your help. I need to get the school to spend a lot of money....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 7, 2018 at 1:40:53 pm

Or get DaVinci Resolve 15 for free... at least until you come up with funding....

Return to posts index

Brian Fifield
on Dec 7, 2018 at 1:44:05 pm

Hi Mark,

yes I've heard about this - I must look into it further.... Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]