FORUMS: list search recent posts

XAVC into final cut 6.6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Barnes
XAVC into final cut 6.6
on Jul 11, 2018 at 9:56:48 pm

Hi:

Ok - I know. FCP 6.6? I'm always on the cheap... But I do freelance DP with my fs7, and on occasion edit with my somewhat antiquated platform.

So I currently use Aunsoft to transcode the MX files to quicktime files, so I can thereby input to my Studebaker editing program. Am I losing quality? The Aunsoft website says it's lossless. But I'm not convinced. I have done some of this, and it generally looks pretty daggone good, but of course I haven't done a cross-comparison (except with the footage from my AF-100 and I don't notice anything). But I'm looking for a "tech-spec" guru who can alleviate my suspicions and say "It's all good, bro" - or "Dude - you need to upgrade to FCP 10ish".
Thanks for your support.
Truly,
Rick
Detour Pictures, Bozeman Mt (formerly of Seattle)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: XAVC into final cut 6.6
on Jul 12, 2018 at 12:00:26 am

[Ricky Barnes] "Am I losing quality? The Aunsoft website says it's lossless. But I'm not convinced."

Any time you convert from one format to another, you'll lose quality. But, WHAT CODEC are you converting to? Some, like the one FCP prefers, ProRes 422, (HQ is there, but not sure it's FCP 6 compatible)...you'll get an image that, while compressed, and recompressing the image, virtually lossless. You won't be able to tell the difference.

[Ricky Barnes] " But I'm not convinced. I have done some of this, and it generally looks pretty daggone good, but of course I haven't done a cross-comparison"

Here's how you compare.... Drop a ProRes clip onto the timeline. Drop a native XAVC onto the timeline...put a DIFFERENCE MATTE on the top layer...if you see only black, that means it's lossless...if you see some speckles, that means there's slight difference. But, you can't...as FCP doesn't bring in the XAVC native. But, trust me, it's virtually lossless...and actually put in a better color space. proRes is 10-bit, XAVC is 8-bit.

[Ricky Barnes] "But I'm looking for a "tech-spec" guru who can alleviate my suspicions and say "It's all good, bro" - or "Dude - you need to upgrade to FCP 10ish"."

Dude, you really need to update your editing software to something more current, so you don't need to convert AT ALL. FCX...fine, if you can deal with that interface, it's great. Premiere Pro...sure, but you can only rent it forever, not own. But, it's not expensive, and deals with this native. Resolve...FREE...and can convert to pretty much any editing codec if needed, and great for final color (Almost an industry standard). Avid...you are a camera guy, you don't need to use Avid. But, with new software comes new hardware...so this won't be cheap. I like shooting with my HVX-170 too, it's great! But DVCPRO HD...8 bit, anamorphic...10 year old camera.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ricky Barnes
on Jul 12, 2018 at 2:59:45 am

Cool.

Thank you Shane for the good insight (and some reminders, ie 8bit vs 10 bit). I did not know Resolve is free. I will check that out. I appreciate..!!

Thanks again !!
Truly,
Rick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 12, 2018 at 6:31:03 pm

Resolve Free works on everything up to 4K. To work in 4K, you need to pay.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]