FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting AVI to ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Converting AVI to ProRes
on Mar 16, 2017 at 7:47:36 am

I'm trying to use MPEG Streamclip to convert some AVI files to ProRes. The problem is that the converted files are just black video with no audio. Anyone know how to fix this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Converting AVI to ProRes
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:02:13 pm

I'm confused. If they're black after export, why aren't they also black when you import them into the application?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Mar 16, 2017 at 6:38:27 pm

In MPEG Streamclip they're white, but just a portion of the screen is white. It looks the same as when you open up the application but there's a white rectangle in the upper left corner. They don't even play in Streamclip but they play fine in VLC.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 16, 2017 at 5:39:35 pm

You really need to provide more info Bobby... Precise specs of the AVIs and ProRes files might help, as well as a screenshot of your Streamclip settings...

Also, try transcoding to DVCpro as a test... Maybe the AVIs have some issues and this would rule out ProRes issues.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Mar 16, 2017 at 6:46:50 pm

I believe the codec of the AVI files is H.264. In Streamclip it doesn't list the codec for some reason, but in another program I have called Pavtube iMedia Converter, it lists it as H.264. This program also allows me to convert the files to ProRes, but I don't fully trust this program. I've had issues with the color of certain files being different from the originals, so I prefer to transcode in Streamclip in possible.

The AVI files are 1024x576, 29.97 fps, mp3 audio. I want to convert them to ProRes with the same dimensions.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Mar 16, 2017 at 6:49:59 pm

Transcoding them to DVCpro or any other codec doesn't work. I just get black video. Maybe the fact that Streamclip can't even play them means that I have to use a different program to convert them.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 16, 2017 at 6:54:05 pm

If they don't play prior to transcoding that would indicate an issue. It could be the MP3 audio, or could be the AVI wrapper.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]