FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media manager question: Copy all used files of a timeline to new drive without changing file names

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McGuire
Media manager question: Copy all used files of a timeline to new drive without changing file names
on Mar 15, 2017 at 2:35:57 pm

I want to copy all the files (in their entirety - not clips of files with handles) of a sequence into a new drive. Is there a way to do this in media manager that does not change the names of the files?

I'm trying to hand over a sequence to an editor but send her a drive with the complete files.

Only way I can think of doing this is to disconnect my drives, open the sequence, and get a list of all the files to connect, then move them over to the new drive one by one.

Suggestions?
Thanks
DMCG

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Media manager question: Copy all used files of a timeline to new drive without changing file names
on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:16:26 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:20:21 pm

It shouldn't be tough. Media manager can copy the shots used in the timeline to a new drive & folder location. I'm pretty sure it'll do the complete clip, but you'd have to check on that.

I don't know how WELL it will do it, however. It didn't get the nickname, "Media Mangler" for nothing.

I you haven't changed file names, you also have a Plan B -- copy the media files you used by hand from the scratch drive location. The trick is to flawlessly preserve the EXACT file path and nomenclature, including the new drive's name.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Media manager question: Copy all used files of a timeline to new drive without changing file names
on Mar 15, 2017 at 5:55:27 pm

Media Manager puts all files into a single folder on the new drive... it does not copy a hierarchy of directories with the media files in those directories. That being said, if your files have legit reel numbers and timecode, relinking is easy.

FYI, the technique to use is:
1) select the sequences in the FCP Browser and/or Bins that contain the media you'd like to copy to a new project on a target hard drive.

2) open Media Manager

3) Choose the Copy function NOT the Move function

4) set the target drive in the drop down

5) uncheck the boxes regarding setting handles and using only the portions of clips used, etc.

6) go for it... it's non-destructive, it it doesn't work as expected just delete the files and directory on the target drive and try again with different parameters.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 15, 2017 at 10:35:51 pm

yes, Media Manager is the way to go, as the others have mentioned.
it is pretty simple really, especially when you are copying enter files as you are doing.

as well as what David outlined, you may want to check the box requesting a new project on the other end that connects to the copied media.
makes life simpler

one thing however: it will copy ALL the media in the timeline/s into ONE location.
so all your music, sound effects and graphics will all go in together with the video.
maybe not a problem, but personally, i would always re-organise those files after a Media Manage.

nick

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Mar 16, 2017 at 12:56:09 am

Does Media manager always rename the files?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 16, 2017 at 8:56:04 am

only if you ask it to.

there's a pull down menu:
base media files on:
i would have thought it was set to file names by default, but if it isn't , just change it.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]