FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keynote in FCP 7 split screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Keynote in FCP 7 split screen
on Mar 15, 2017 at 1:48:26 pm

I have a presentation I'm working on that has the presenter on the left side of the screen and Keynote slides on the right side(Split Screen). At this point the slides are 720 X540. Sometimes they'll be full screen and most times they'll be 1/2 screen. My sequence is a 720P.

I need to resize the Keynote slides to fit the half screen with no quality loss and show the full slide. Any ideas on what size I need to make the Keynote slides so they fill top to bottom with nothing cut off? Any help would be appreciated.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Keynote in FCP 7 split screen
on Mar 15, 2017 at 3:58:45 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 15, 2017 at 4:09:30 pm

I don't know if it's going to be as straightforward as you seem to think. There's the issue of aspect ratio.

A head, shoulders & chest shot of the presenter isn't going to change much. It'll pretty much remain a narrow aspect ratio, correct? That shouldn't be much of an issue.

I'd worry first about the graphics on the slides -- were they created with a wide 6x9 image in mind, or a square image, as depicted above? What happens when they're shown full screen?

You could face some challenging layout problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Mar 15, 2017 at 5:39:26 pm

Thanks Dave. The head shoulders shot is going to be chromakeyed. So no problem there. But the slides need to be resized so I can export them all as tiff files and still be square yet large without distorting the slides.

I'm wondering what size I should use for the slides.

Thanks.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 15, 2017 at 5:52:54 pm

Keying is all well & good, but it's the aspect ratios that are concerning me. It has from the word go.

I strongly recommend you discuss with the client which graphics will be full-screen 16x9...
which will be laid out basically in a square aspect ratio with talent on the side....
and which ones will go from square aspect ratio with talent to full-screen 16x9 -- those will be the tough ones; they can't contain a lot of text initially.

Their folks will need to figure out how to go from square to 16x9, and make it look good. Unless you're going to do the graphics design and animation, of course. Is that your strong suit?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Mar 15, 2017 at 10:20:47 pm

Hi Dave,

It's up to me what slides are full screen and what are side by side. I plan on covering all edits with a full screen slide.

What I was really looking for was the maximum size I could output a slide to give it the best option, and then build a white background behind it. so the Dr. is on the left 3rd and the slides are on the right 2/3. Does that make sense?

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 16, 2017 at 3:59:06 pm

If you plan properly you don't need bigger stills. You need to lay out the text & graphics properly.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Mar 16, 2017 at 4:02:52 pm

Dave, perhaps I didn't communicate this properly. The client has already created the powerPoint slides that were used as part of the show.

I believe I solved my problem by exporting each of 28 slides into a format that I can shrink or enlarge depending on if they are side-by side or fukl screen.

Thanks for your help though. I really appreciate it.

Greg Ball, President

Return to posts index

George Ball
on Mar 18, 2017 at 3:27:59 pm

Just saw your post, and I was going to suggest doing that. Saving as a pdf would let you rejig the layout in Adobe Illustrator (or other vector editing app) (though it can be a bit messy). I typically layout the graphics there and export it as a svg file which directly imports into Premiere. Being mainly a vector graphic, you have full range of scaling options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]